What happened to Danny Elfman?

mxsch

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

He keep writing the same fantasy scores over and over again and his more minimalistic scores have no impact on me. 

Name fantasy scores outside of Tolkien. 

Came across this on YouTube:

Live performances like these, in the latter half, show that Hans Zimmer just can't orchestrate. Without forcing his chord-melody arrangement through an assortment of filters and ka-boom boosters, it sounds thin and hollow. 

20 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Live performances like these, in the latter half, show that Hans Zimmer just can't orchestrate. Without forcing his chord-melody arrangement through an assortment of filters and ka-boom boosters, it sounds thin and hollow. 

And what does this random Zimmer bashing have to do with the price of tea in China? This is an Elfman thread.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

And what does this random Zimmer bashing have to do with the price of tea in China? This is an Elfman thread.

Tell it to Lord zzzzzZZZZZimmer

Elfman’s been pretty vocal about how tough he’s had it in the past decade, and how much Hollywood has changed its approach to scoring. The revolution of high quality samples has meant more revisions and rewrites, and the insistence of studios/producers/directors relying on temp tracks has stifled the creativity of composers including himself. 

Why on earth you’d hire Elfman if you just want Zimmer is beyond me, but that’s what’s been happening. 

As for Arnold, I got the impression that he had enough of Hollywood/LA ages ago and wanted to be home in the UK. Seeing as Bond is produced there it was a perfect fit for him, but now that’s gone he’s taking steady but still high-profile television work. Good on him.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I consider Elfman's first Spidey score to be my favorite of his. I like his Batman/Tim Burton scores just fine, but Spider-Man has been one of my favorite scores ever since I was 9 years old and watched the movie in theaters. 

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Because Zimmer can’t/won’t score every single film that comes his way?

Yeah, but why hire Elfman for that? There's plenty of other composers who can and have emulated the Zimmer sound, it just doesn't make sense to me to hire Elfman and not want his particular approach. He's a top-tier composer, presumably you'd hire him because you want his music.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I consider Elfman's first Spidey score to be my favorite of his. I like his Batman/Tim Burton scores just fine, but Spider-Man has been one of my favorite scores ever since I was 9 years old and watched the movie in theaters. 

Amen. Spidey 2 might develop on the sound a bit more, but something about the first one's relative simplicity makes it very endearing to me. In a way, it feels like something that'd accompany a child playing with his toys, which only adds to the charm and shows how well it suits the film.

2 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Yeah, but why hire Elfman for that? There's plenty of other composers who can and have emulated the Zimmer sound, it just doesn't make sense to me to hire Elfman and not want his particular approach. He's a top-tier composer, presumably you'd hire him because you want his music.

Are we talking specifically about temp tracks here? Those happen to almost every composer, regardless of who was hired.

That being said, Elfman has emulated Zimmer in the past, with The Kingdom

53 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That being said, Elfman has emulated Zimmer in the past, with The Kingdom

Not sure I agree. I think THE KINGDOM is molded more after post-rock artists like Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai etc. - an established preference of Peter Berg's. Either way, it's a great score.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Not sure I agree. I think THE KINGDOM is molded more after post-rock artists like Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai etc. - an established preference of Peter Berg's. Either way, it's a great score.

All I have is the single cue on the VSD sampler.

I love it.

REAL.  STEEL was good also.

Killer climax!

I don't think Elfman ' emulated' HZ.

They just both moved towards a minimalist style in the same era.

Now Patrick Doyle in THOR sure seems to be doing Zimm!

Not many composers come out the gate as strong as David Arnold did

David Arnold's first five film score albums

1. The Young Americans
  2. Stargate
  3. Last of the Dogmen
  4. Independence Day
  5. Tomorrow Never Dies

John Williams' first five film score albums

1. Diamond Head
  2. How To Steal A Million
  3. Penelope
  4. Not With My Wife You Don't! 
  5. Fitzwilly

Jerry Goldsmith's first five film score albums

1. Lilies of the Field
  2. In Harm's Way
  3. A Patch of Blue
  4. The Blue Max
  5. Our Man Flint

James Horner's first five film score albums

1. Battle Beyond The Stars
  2. Humanoids From The Deep
  3. Star Trek II
  4. Brainstorm
  5. Gorky Park

Alan Silvestri's first five film score albums

1. Cat's Eye
  2. Back To The Future (I know it was as score/song combo album but good enough)
  3. Clan of the Cave Bear
  4. Delta Force
  5. No Mercy

Danny Elfman's first five film score albums

1. Forbidden Zone
  2. Pee-wee's Big Adventure / Back to School
  3. Wisdom
  4. Beetlejuice
  5. Big Top Pee-wee

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Not many composers come out the gate as strong as David Arnold did

Indeed. I'd put Patrick Doyle among them, he gave us Henry V and Dead Again pretty much right out the gate.

32 minutes ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

If he's a nobody now can we make fun of his name?

Fancy Elfname.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_06/Screenshot_2020-06-23-20-12-25.png.de7df5154701ffa84379d8ee727b2e3c.png

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Alan Silvestri's first five film score albums

1. Back To The Future (I know it was as score/song combo album but good enough)
  2. Clan of the Cave Bear
  3. Delta Force
  4. No Mercy
  5. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

https://www.discogs.com/Alan-Silvestri-Cats-Eye/master/867266

Ah, I missed that one!

Any idea if it came out before BTTF, or after?

I know the FILM came out before the BTTF film, but did Varese maybe only license an album after the success of BTTF?

I've never heard this score, incidentally; Is it any good?

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

Any idea if it came out before BTTF, or after?

Sounds like something some obsessive FSMer would know.  I sure don't!

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never heard this score, incidentally; Is it any good?

I think it's pretty fun!  All electronic and very very very dated and a bit silly.  So if you're into REALLY 80s sounding scores.