New Film Fest Ghent CD: World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer

Film Fest Ghent

21 minutes ago, Film Fest Ghent said:
  • Tribute to the Film Composer (John Williams, arr.)

Excellent, a proper studio recording of that great 2002 arrangement.

Nice to see a socially distanced strings section still sounding superb; definitely a sign of things to come for the next few years. I'm sure score recordists are all over it.

It's a nice compilation that highlights some lesser performed works.

I was worried for a minute that these were just tracks culled from all the previous WSA composer and concert CDs, but - as the blurb says - these seem to be new recordings, and of themes that haven't been recorded by them before.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Cool! However, when I was going to purchase this album from your site, I was shocked to see that the European shipping charge has increased to €31.61 - I really hope that's an error...

Thank you for flagging this, this was indeed an error which should be solved now.

I was never a big fan of Brittell's work; found MOONLIGHT and IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK overrated, for example. But I really dig his work on SUCCESSION, which is represented on this disc. Great show too, btw. I have the second season SUCCESSION album, and it's one of the highlights of the year.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:56 PM, Thor said:

I really dig his work on SUCCESSION, which is represented on this disc. Great show too, btw. I have the second season SUCCESSION album, and it's one of the highlights of the year.

Link, please. :)

• 3 weeks later...

And how neat is it to have Williams' Oscar medley? I never thought I'd see that recorded for album, even if footage of the actual performance is readily available on Youtube.

Troy may have led to better projects if it had not been rejected. He was supposed to score 2013's The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, but was replaced by RCP clone Atli Orvarsson. Poor guy can't catch a break.

I can sorta understand why it was rejected. It does sound rather old-fashioned, melodramatic and 50s in style, which clashed with Petersen's aesthetic. Horner's was more streamlined and better suited. But it should have had a proper release, even if Yared called it something else to avoid being sued (like Bernstein's LAST MAN STANDING). But then I'm not sure he sits on the rights to his own music. This suite - with some fascinating, dark, choral colours - is a step in the right direction, though.

As for Örvarsson, I'm kinda biased since he's an acquaintance of mine. But of the RCP clones at the time, he was among the better ones. These days, of course, he's left all that behind and writes interesting, artsy scores in his homeland of Iceland.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 3:33 PM, Film Fest Ghent said:

Film Fest Ghent presents: World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer

Performed by Brussels Philharmonic & Vlaams Radiokoor, conducted by Dirk Brossé

Release date: 23 Oct. 2020

Order your copy at: https://shop.filmfestival.be/collections/cd

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the World Soundtrack Awards, Film Fest Ghent devotes its annual album to all thirteen winners of the coveted World Soundtrack Film Composer of the Year Award over the past two decades. This special compilation features newly recorded pieces by Angelo Badalamenti, Nicholas Britell, Carter Burwell, Mychael Danna, Alexandre Desplat, Patrick Doyle, Michael Giacchino, Elliot Goldenthal, James Newton Howard, Alberto Iglesias, Jóhann Jóhannsson, John Williams and Gabriel Yared.

As a tribute to these masters of film music, this album goes the extra mile, featuring, almost exclusively, studio recordings of pieces and arrangements that have never before been released on CD. This includes concert suites, such as Desplat’s “The Imitation Game” and Giacchino’s “Star Trek, into Darkness and Beyond”, and special orchestral arrangements, such as Badalamenti’s “The Voice of Love” from Twin Peaks and Doyle’s “Never Forget” from Murder on the Orient Express. The album also features the premiere release of music for Fear by Carter Burwell and Troy by 2020 WSA Lifetime Achievement Award winner Gabriel Yared.

Two remarkable bonus tracks bookend the album: the premiere release of the World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare, written by Elmer Bernstein especially for the awards ceremony, and “Tribute to the Film Composer”, a fabulous homage arranged by John Williams that brings together no less than 23 different Oscar-winning or Oscar-nominated film themes.

Performed by the Brussels Philharmonic & Vlaams Radiokoor and conducted by Dirk Brossé, all music is newly recorded by MotorMusic at Flagey’s legendary Studio 4 in Brussels. The album is licensed to Silva Screen Records.

Tracklist:

1. World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare (Elmer Bernstein)
  2. Red Sparrow Overture (James Newton Howard)
  3. Fear – Main Title (Carter Burwell)
  4. Hable con ella – Soy Marco (Alberto Iglesias)
  5. Cobb (Suite) – The Homecoming (Elliot Goldenthal)
  6. Troy (Suite) (Gabriel Yared)
  7. When at Last the Wind Lulled (Jóhann Jóhannsson & Rutger Hoedemaekers)
  8. Hook – The Face of Pan (John Williams)
  9. Succession (Suite) (Nicholas Britell)
  10. Monsoon Wedding (Suite) (Mychael Danna)
  11. The Imitation Game (Suite) (Alexandre Desplat)
  12. Murder on the Orient Express – Never Forget (Instrumental Version) (Patrick Doyle)
  13. Star Trek, into Darkness and Beyond (Suite) (Michael Giacchino)
  14. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me – The Voice of Love (Angelo Badalamenti)
  15. Tribute to the Film Composer (John Williams, arr.)

I knew I'd seen this album mentioned elsewhere... as I commented in another thread, this is a really great, but unusual album with some interesting, left field choices, really well performed.

• 2 weeks later...

And the award for longest sentence goes to @Incanus!

Congrats!

:ola::ola:

So in the end I would say that for a seasoned film score fan or a fan of less well-known scores or smaller hidden gems and collector rarities from these top tier composers the World Soundtrack Awards Tribute to the Film Composer receives a recommendation as a very interesting and entertaining compilation of music from 13 very different film composers and that celebrates and illuminates the multifaceted craft of film music very well. 

Great review, btw. ;)

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And the award for longest sentence goes to @Incanus!

Congrats!

:ola::ola:

Great review, btw. ;)

:lol: 

Thanks!

And yes I tend to write quite long sentences without even noticing and often have to go back and chop them into more easily digestible pieces. Perhaps it is the Ent in me. ;) 

45 minutes ago, Incanus said:

:lol: 

Thanks!

And yes I tend to write quite long sentences without even noticing and often have to go back and chop them into more easily digestible pieces. Perhaps it is the Ent in me. ;) 

I always picture you as Santa Clause's younger brother!

33 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Will this be available to purchase digitally?

Good question, I'm not sure... 

On 10/1/2020 at 9:20 AM, Jay said:

Thanks for the reminder about this!  I just placed my order for the physical CD

And it arrived in the mail today!  I was surprised to see it, because today is two days before release day!

Anybody else get theirs yet?

Is it me or is the cue from Cobb based on an existing piece of classical music? I keep thinking Mahler... and given how much I like Mahler I kinda feel I should be more certain if so! Gorgeous piece either way.