New Film Fest Ghent CD: World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer

Film Fest Ghent

On 10/24/2020 at 11:56 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Is it me or is the cue from Cobb based on an existing piece of classical music? I keep thinking Mahler... and given how much I like Mahler I kinda feel I should be more certain if so! Gorgeous piece either way. 

Suggest Mahler 5 Adagietto as basis for the Cobb.

And this flute solo somehow reminds me of the Face of Pan - just brain storming.

I was not too thrilled by this album. Every selection sounded like it was scored as background to a hunger relief commercial. I am not sure who made the arrangements for this album or if they were original composer arrangements but to me, they all sounded like soup. Even the Star Trek Into Darkness sounded gloomy.

I feel like the loss of the full horn chorale in "The Face of Pan" is a real detriment to the piece.  I'll stick with the original concert version.

• 2 months later...

Listened to selections from this album this morning.  Face of Pan is great as always, but damn I love this Star Trek suite!

Succession is fun too.  Can't wait for that show to return

• 11 months later...

Today I took the shrinkwrap off my physical copy and am listening to it now!

It's a fun album, so many different compositional styles represented!  My favorite tracks remain the World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare, Red Sparrow Overture, Face of Pan, Succession Suite, Star Trek Suite, and Tribute to the Film Composer, but I do enjoy the whole album.

The booklet that comes with the physical edition is really nice, 16 pages on nice glossy cardstock.  It includes the names of all the musicians who played, everyone who made the album happen, a nice note from Dirk Brosse, great pictures of all the composers, and liner notes by Thomas Van Parys who describes what the World Soundtrack Academy is, as well as a little bit about each piece and its composer.  There's also a cool picture of the original sheet music for Bernstein's fanfare.  Oh, and the credits even list all 23 scores represented in the Tribute to the Film Composer.

Overall, a very nice physical edition, well worth owning!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Today I took the shrinkwrap off my physical copy and am listening to it now!

It's a fun album, so many different compositional styles represented!  My favorite tracks remain the World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare, Red Sparrow Overture, Face of Pan, Succession Suite, Star Trek Suite, and Tribute to the Film Composer, but I do enjoy the whole album.

The booklet that comes with the physical edition is really nice, 16 pages on nice glossy cardstock.  It includes the names of all the musicians who played, everyone who made the album happen, a nice note from Dirk Brosse, great pictures of all the composers, and liner notes by Thomas Van Parys who describes what the World Soundtrack Academy is, as well as a little bit about each piece and its composer.  There's also a cool picture of the original sheet music for Bernstein's fanfare.  Oh, and the credits even list all 23 scores represented in the Tribute to the Film Composer.

Overall, a very nice physical edition, well worth owning!

Agreed, this is a super album, very well performed and featuring a nice mixture of composers and styles that mix mainstream with more offbeat, but equally enjoyable, choices. Of course if you don't get at least 90% of the scores featured in the Tribute to the Film Composer, your film music licence will be revoked ;-)

Ha!

I personally had no clue stuff like "Spellbound", "The Bridge on the River Kwai", and "The Natural" were in here as I've never seen those movies or listened to their scores

6 hours ago, Film Fest Ghent said:

Thank you for the kind words Jay and Tom! It was a labour of love for all involved, and indeed, we hope interest in the physical editions of our annual albums remains.

Me too! These are gorgeous presentations and performances of the scores in question. I've been attending the WSA regularly since 2010, in a professional capacity (although not as much in recent years, sadly), and even if I don't care for the composers you highlight sometimes, these compilations provide the perfect "gateway drug".