Soundtrack Albums for Autumn

PokeDocMatt

There was a 2006 thread for music that evoked the Autumn season, which contained both tracks and albums, as well as scores and non-soundtracks. There have also been some great new releases since that time. So I wanted to start a new thread to hear of your favorite soundtrack albums (only) that you play during this season. 

Here are some of my favorites:

Accidental Tourist - John Williams

Stanley and Iris - John Williams

War Horse - John Williams

Jane Eyre - John Williams

Jane Eyre - Dario Marianelli

Journey - Austin Wintory

Never Let Me Go - Rachel Portman

The New World - James Horner

The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

Pan's Labyrinth - Javier Navarrete

The Village - James Newton Howard

King Kong - James Newton Howard

I don't know that I really associate any scores in my collection with autumn. My first thought was a score I've never heard outside of its film, Mark Isham's October Sky. And not because of the name, though it doesn't hurt.

TWIN PEAKS is the ultimate example for me here.

But I'm listening to one now that is very much in that mold, Preisner's BETWEEN STRANGERS. In fact, many of Preisner's scores fit the bill (VALLEY OF SHADOWS most prominently, perhaps). Same goes for the scores of Pascal Gaigne. And Max Richter and Michel Legrand.

Williams' STEPMOM is another (shut up, Jurassic Shark, we know what you think of this!) - gorgeous textures of drizzling rain on fallen leafs. I also second THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST. STANLEY & IRIS is warmer to me, almost summer. Same for ANGELA'S ASHES.

Other examples are (I'm just running through my iTunes for these):

YOYES - Illaramendi

POLDARK - Dudley

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR - Herrmann

THE LOVELY BONES - Eno

THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY - Cat's Eyes

THE SHIPPING NEWS - Young

I LOST MY BODY - Levy

MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN - Pemberton

DOLORES CLAIBORNE - Elfman

NATTSEILERE - Bøhren & Åserud

A NIGHTINGALE FALLING - Stewart

PACIFIC HEIGHTS - Zimmer

THE THIN RED LINE - Zimmer

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN - Gregson-Williams

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S - Mancini

TO GILLIAN ON HER 37th BIRTHDAY - Horner

THE VILLAGE - Newton Howard

A HIDDEN LIFE - Newton Howard

HØST - Jan Vardøen (the title literally means autumn)

ONE DAY IN FALL - Galatis

FIRST BLOOD - Goldsmith

THE EDGE - Goldsmith

PRISONERS - Jóhannsson

NOSTALGIA - Eyquem

FARO - Bye

EXOTICA - Danna

BROADCHURCH - Arnalds

CALVARY - Cassidy

SELECTED WORK - Solomon Grey

THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY - Lux

LESS THAN ZERO - Newman

L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX - Vangelis

BLADE RUNNER - Vangelis

Then I get autumn vibes from a lot of non-film music:

L'ABSENTE - Yann Tiersen (several tracks of which were used in AMELIE)

Latter-day Pink Floyd, especially MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON, THE DIVISION BELL and THE ENDLESS RIVER

Enya

And finally, the most autumny album I know, Jean Michel Jarre's SESSIONS 2000:

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Honestly, the only music I can associate with Autumn is Halloweeny horror music.

Thankfully, we don't celebrate Halloween over here (most of us, anyway), so I'm thankfully relieved of that association.

My choices would be:

ANGELA'S ASHES

JANE EYRE

THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST

THE VILLAGE

LINK

STANLEY AND IRIS

IRIS

BRAINSTORM

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

GORKY PARK

KING KONG (1976)

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL (OST)

THE REMAINS OF THE DAY

MONSOON WEDDING

Just for @Thor, I'd add EQUINOXE

AUDION (Larry Fast)

WIND AND WUTHERING

BEHAVIOUR (if only for My October Symphony)

12 hours ago, Thor said:

BLADE RUNNER - Vangelis

Today I've learned that we all have a different interpretation of the word 'autumn'. When I listen to Blade Runner I have a hard time picturing autumn leaves on the forest floor. I guess for me it also depends on what instruments are used.

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Today I've learned that we all have a different interpretation of the word 'autumn'. When I listen to Blade Runner I have a hard time picturing autumn leaves on the forest floor. I guess for me it also depends on what instruments are used.

Not so much leaves on the forest floor, but constant rain and darkness (it gets dark very early in Norway from the end of autumn onwards). Autumn can be many things. But yes - we all interpret this differently. There are several scores mentioned in this thread that denote more 'summer' or 'winter' than 'autumn' to me, or doesn't really invoke any season at all, but rather specific locales etc.

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

FUNNY you should say that;

9: 30 a.m.

Yes, I've vaguely heard some news stories about the orange, dark glow in SF at the moment. What's that about? Forest fires?

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

...not a single mention of The Silence of the Lambs.

THE LAMB LIES DOWN IN BROADWAY?

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

Today I've learned that we all have a different interpretation of the word 'autumn'.

For me, it depends on how the music makes me feel, or when I first heard the music, or, sometimes, when the music was released.

For example: some records by Queen, and Mike Oldfield were released in the autumn, and I'll always feel autumnal whatever time of year I listen to them.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:13 PM, PokeDocMatt said:

War Horse - John Williams

Never Let Me Go - Rachel Portman

The New World - James Horner

Interesting... War Horse to me is completely summer, whereas The New World is 100% spring. You can hear the birds coming out of hibernation.

Agreed on Never Let Me Go. I saw the film a few weeks ago, and there's some beautiful piano/cello work which is very evocative of autumn.

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

That's definitely a winter score.

Not to me. I get the Norwegian mountainside in autumn - there's frost in the air, but it's still foggy and rainy, with colourful mountainsides in yellow, red and orange. A proper outdoors autumn score!

32 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Agreed on Never Let Me Go. I saw the film a few weeks ago, and there's some beautiful piano/cello work which is very evocative of autumn.

I'll have to check that out. Would you say it's better than Stepmom?

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

25 replies and not a single mention of The Silence of the Lambs. Shameful.

Good catch. The film is also dismally autumnal, of course (and by intention). 

Another film that feels similarly autumnal is The Fugitive. I don’t recall about the score, though. 

On 9/9/2020 at 3:34 PM, mstrox said:

Honestly, the only music I can associate with Autumn is Halloweeny horror music.

I'm mostly the same.  I put on Jerry Goldsmith's Link every October and the music just makes me think of neighborhood streets and yard littered with fallen leaves, pumpkins on front stoops, days getting shorter etc. etc.

On 9/9/2020 at 2:06 PM, Thor said:

TWIN PEAKS is the ultimate example for me here.

But I'm listening to one now that is very much in that mold, Preisner's BETWEEN STRANGERS. In fact, many of Preisner's scores fit the bill (VALLEY OF SHADOWS most prominently, perhaps). Same goes for the scores of Pascal Gaigne. And Max Richter and Michel Legrand.

Williams' STEPMOM is another (shut up, Jurassic Shark, we know what you think of this!) - gorgeous textures of drizzling rain on fallen leafs. I also second THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST. STANLEY & IRIS is warmer to me, almost summer. Same for ANGELA'S ASHES.

Other examples are (I'm just running through my iTunes for these):

YOYES - Illaramendi

POLDARK - Dudley

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR - Herrmann

THE LOVELY BONES - Eno

THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY - Cat's Eyes

THE SHIPPING NEWS - Young

I LOST MY BODY - Levy

MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN - Pemberton

DOLORES CLAIBORNE - Elfman

NATTSEILERE - Bøhren & Åserud

A NIGHTINGALE FALLING - Stewart

PACIFIC HEIGHTS - Zimmer

THE THIN RED LINE - Zimmer

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN - Gregson-Williams

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S - Mancini

TO GILLIAN ON HER 37th BIRTHDAY - Horner

THE VILLAGE - Newton Howard

A HIDDEN LIFE - Newton Howard

HØST - Jan Vardøen (the title literally means autumn)

ONE DAY IN FALL - Galatis

FIRST BLOOD - Goldsmith

THE EDGE - Goldsmith

PRISONERS - Jóhannsson

NOSTALGIA - Eyquem

FARO - Bye

EXOTICA - Danna

BROADCHURCH - Arnalds

CALVARY - Cassidy

SELECTED WORK - Solomon Grey

THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY - Lux

LESS THAN ZERO - Newman

L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX - Vangelis

BLADE RUNNER - Vangelis

Thor there are some great scores in here and many that I've never listened to, so thanks for the opportunities to add to my seasonal cycle of albums! It really is amazing how consistently Accidental Tourist and maybe for those warmer autumn enjoyers Stanley and Iris evoke that sense of Autumn. They are perfect scores for the season. I've heard Pete N' Tillie is similar Williams. I need to check it out. 

On 9/10/2020 at 1:54 AM, Bellosh said:

A few scores I associate with Autumn are:

Return of the Jedi

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

E.T.

War of the Worlds

War Horse

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Signs

I actually really love E.T. for autumn as well! It's too good to save for just those lovely fall days, but it is perfect. Just ominous enough. 

I would love to check out Signs, but it's a bit pricy for a used CD and its not available digitally or on spotify. 

I can definitely see where you're coming from in terms of THE PIANO. The whole film is steeped in autumnal colours -- it's rainy, muddy and lots of 'dusk'. But I'm not sure I have any seasonal association myself; it's more like waves crashing on a shore.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I agree that the score to The Piano is rather depressing. :)

Yes, perfect fit for the movie. 

Ah, one more to the list. "Murder in the First", my favourite Christopher Young score. But probably that is better for winter. 

Funnily, Twin Peaks to me is a summer score. 

Just now, GerateWohl said:

Ah, one more to the list. "Murder in the First", my favourite Christopher Young score. But probably that is better for winter. 

I'm not very familiar with Christopher Young. Could you post a few highlight tracks?

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Summer!?! That is interesting. I wrote a whole novel in my teenage years, based on TWIN PEAKS and its music. And it was set in autumn (for the most part), as that was the immediate association I got.

MURDER IN THE FIRST is Young's finest score (as pointed out in the other thread), but I don't get autumn from it. Again; intriguing.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Summer!?! That is interesting. I wrote a whole novel in my teenage years, based on TWIN PEAKS and its music. And it was set in autumn (for the most part), as that was the immediate association I got.

MURDER IN THE FIRST is Young's finest score (as pointed out in the other thread), but I don't get autumn from it. Again; intriguing.

Yes summer. Guess I bought the CD in summer, started watching the show in summer and somehow the music managed to preserve the summer feeling for the following autumn.

And as mentioned, I am also not sure if MURDER IN THE FIRST is maybe more a winter thing. Unfortunately meanwhile, both seasons don't differ much around here. Almost no snowflake since three years. At least I rather hear this soundtrack when it is getting dark early.

Anyway, for me there are two different kind of autumn scores. The one that reflects the mood of darkness and transiense and the other one to bring back the summer or shake you up with opposite emotions. Both is for me somehow typical autumn music. Anyway, I know there is something that is called autumnal musically. But when I look at the lists above, it is qute obiously very subjective.