Official Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix thread

It's not perfect, but it's a start. I matched it to the description in the book, but I don't think I pulled off the skin over the eye effect well. i also didn't know if they were bald or anything. All in all, I think it still looks a little bit too human.

Hey thats pretty good.

This is somthing fake, but it is what I used for my imagination.

dement

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is funny. From GotF:

UK Paperback, chp 6, page 68

" 'Must be nearly time,' said Mr Weasley quickly [...], 'Do you know whether we're waiting for any more, Amos [Diggory]?'

'No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already [...]'"

Hehe.

I'm reading GoF again, obviously, and the trio is now in the forest at the Quidditch world cup. The Dark Mark is about to appear. When I've finished OotP again, I'll have some more things to say. :music:

- Marc

It's great. I hadn't re-read any of the books in advance, but this way, it proves to be even better. First I read the new book, returning to Hogwarts all fresh, and then I re-read the previous ones, which is a great tie-in to the second read, becouse now I pick up all the hints that are scattered along the way. :)

- Marc, who is somewhere around page 200 of GoF now.

Well, leaving for two weeks to lovely Crete, and taking the books with me. If I find some more stuff I'll post about it. Take care all, and in the meantime, fight the power.

Or you could always set the building on fire. ;)

- Marc, who watched Office Space today and loved it. :)

;)

I was rereading the description of the dementors and it's obvious the LOTR things pictured here were fakes when listed as dementors.

These things have eye slits, Dementors have no eye slits at all, just skin where eye should have been.

... and it's obvious the LOTR things pictured here were fakes ...  

Yes as I mentioned this is fake:

This is somthing fake, but it is what I used for my imagination.
... this looks a lot like one on muggle net.

Yes, and from the Leaky Cauldron.

It?s obviously a computer enhanced picture of the Nazgul from the Wethertop scene in LOTR:TFOTR , with some monster face and hands digitally added (very well I might add) to achieve the artist's idea of what they may look like.

I?d like to see some more concept art by fellow JWFan members of anything in the Harry Potter World, a la Mr. Breathmask.

I'm working on mine!!

Ren, maybe you have somthing you can share with the class??

Ok back to OOTP after reading it a second time. I must say it's pobably the most emotional experience I've ever had from a book. The whole struggle against Umbridge was fantastic. My biggest problem with it is that once you get about 5 or 6 chapters from the end you can't stop! :nono:

Justin -Wondering if book six will take as long to get out as five.

Harry Potter and the Green Flame Torch(?title) is currently well underway in the writing department. Rumors abound, and at B&N the thought, so they say, is Christmas 2004, or summer 2005. I say JKR please take as long as you need, HPOOTP was well worth the wait. I sincerely hope that the filmmakers of Order of the Phoenix pull no punches with Umbridge. Do not make her a parody of the character. Show her as mean and as nasty as she is. She's already one of the great villians in literary history, do not lessen her impact on the story.

All right....at long last, I'm finished. (As I mentioned in one of the other book threads, I've been splitting my time, so it took ages longer to get through OOP than it deserved....)

First, though....I have almost no idea what people have said up to this point. I can't get the first two pages of this thread to load (my computer keeps grabbing its throat and rasping, "Invalid aaahhhrgument!") I imagine it has to do with more pics or attachments or whatever on those pages. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to disable graphics, or something...?

In any case, I suppose I don't need to know all that to offer up my own take anyway. I get the impression (from what I could read) that you've all tried to keep the discussion spoiler-free--which is funny, because I intentionally avoided it until now specifically because I thought this would be where everyone would be jawing it up about all the details. I finally get here, and I have to keep my mouth shut. Oh, well.... :? ;)

To keep it brief: it was as superb as I had hoped for. I'm amazed at Rowling's ability to maintain energy and interest in a series of books, now five volumes deep, that repeats more or less the same formula in each installment. The key, of course, is how she varies the major facets and setpieces each time around: at home and in hell with the Dursleys, pre-term activities, arrival at Hogwarts, new professors, friends and enemies, Hagrid's antics, Quidditch competition, and so forth. Each element is there in each book, but they unfold in a diverse way each time around, and it's fascinating just how fascinating that cycle proves to be.

I would've thought that such a school-oriented story (meaning the added attention to the actual schoolwork, due to the imminent O.W.L.S.) would have added too much ballast, dragging the story down. I actually thought it made a pleasant change to be reminded that they are there for an education, and that it costs them as much labor as it does any kid their age. Umbridge made it all the more interesting, of course--and yes, she does make for one of the best "villains" I've encountered in a while, in part because she's more real-to-life, and therefore far more terrifying, than even Voldemort himself. Bureaucratic hegemony in the flesh. Eew.

My wife and I were split on Harry's behavior. She thought he turned into a vicious little prig--which he did, but I thought it was warranted. Long before Dumbledore's revelation, even before this book, we saw Harry suffering under burdens that would've left many adults emotionally crippled. I thought it was about time he bent a little under them, even if it did mean that he needed Hermione and Ron to bring him back into line occasionally (and justifiably, even if Harry did need to let off steam from time to time). Of course, all that made Dumbledore's revelation just a tad anticlimactic, but I can live with that.

We were also split on our choice of personal "heroes" in the story. She loved Fred and George, thought they were hilarious and brilliant and just plain too cool. I liked them too, along with several of the other characters who stepped up to the plate for Harry in vailant fashion: Neville, Moody, Sirius, Dumbledore, and the rest of the gang. But the one I thought outshined them all? Minerva McGonagall. That witch was a hoss in this book. I had to supress a cheer (even failed to supress it once or twice) almost every time she opened her mouth. I wanted to provide some of her best quotes here, but for the sake of upholding spoilerlessness for all.... :sigh:

I was also impressed and pleased with how Rowling is finding her voice as a writer. I'm on record as saying the early books "read like water"; that, I'm happy to say, is no longer the case. Part of it might be attributed to sheer volume (though a deluge like that could make for pleasant drowning), but it's definitely not just that. It's interesting how her prose matures as the characters mature. Four books ago, they talked like eleven-year-olds, in part because Rowling didn't write much higher than that level (I don't say that as an insult, so cool your jets, people). Now they're growing up, and she's growing up with them, and with each book her usage and application improve--which does that much more to add to the series' authenticity.

The only real complaint I have is those last six chapters--namely, that having picked it up at 10:00 the other night for some "light reading" before bedtime, the stupid thing kept me up for hours afterward (a couple for the book, another two or three thinking and thrilling over it). What a climax...!

All in all, a great read. Now comes the hard part....another two or so years until the next one. (I wonder if the real reason I took so much time to read this one is because I wanted to make it last as long as I could....)

Now--when do we get to start talkin' some spoilers?

- Uni

That review was well worth the wait, Uni. It's nice to read about people's thoughts on this book again, after a fairly long while since the last juicy discussion. I totally agree with you about Harry's behavior. It was very satisfying for me as a reader to have Harry spout off about this and that, as I was feeling many of the same things as him. And about McGonagall . . . . damn! You are so right, she was terrific. I was left giddy after many of her scenes; she's always been one of my favorite characters, and Rowling marvelously expanded her role in this book.

I hope we can discuss spoilers soon also. Up to this point, we've been using white font to hide them, which isn't a big deal, but it seems that by now, everyone who cares will have read it already. It mught be easier to just put *SPOILERS* in the thread title. But anyway, nice review again. :mrgreen:

Ray Barnsbury

you know Ray, I believe you are right, it's time to change the title so we can type freely.

I completely agree Uni, about Minerva. . . .she was spectacular. Some of the the rantings of Harry I felt were called for others, not. But I agree her writing has improved.

Thanks Uni, I enjoyed reading your review too.

Somehow I think that our reaction to Harry's actions is somewhat a guy thing, I may be wrong, whaddaya think Ren,

I felt he was due a good blowout, and while he was a bit of a prig, I saw a little bit of every guy in Harry. I think each of us guys have

had that perplexed view of a girl, not having a clue to how to handle any of it. Dumbledore's handling of Harry has been the most poor thing

he has done in the whole series.

i think Cho totally brings things on herself. But for some aspects, Harry got what he deserved. People snapping back. I think that he had a lot of pent up anger that was completely relevant and that's ok. I just don't know how JK all of a sudden brought this on, other than the fact that deep down harry was still POed about Rita and people's take on him. and no one believing him. Dumbledore now. . . . . . i completely agree this WAS indeed the most poorly handled aspect of the story, but that is what makes the story i guess. . .you know what i mean? if he had handled it correctly, the series would probably be done by now.

P. S. Joe did you change the thread name so we can put spoilers in here?

I can totally understand why Harry was so confused by Cho. .i hope i didn't to that to anyone....i'm sure i did though. . being a girl ;)

You embellished my own feelings perfectly there, Ren. When I mentioned Ron and Hermione having to bring Harry back into line occasionally, I was saying the same thing: yes, there were definitely times when his outbursts were inappropriate (or at least inappropriately handled), but then....who could blame him? He has had more on his plate than kids that age should ever have to deal with, and up to this point, he's managed remarkably well.

That's what makes this such an admirably authentic character study. Rowling's teens behave the way teens in real life behave. They haven't yet learned to polish off their tact (not that all adults have, either), so most of the time they'll say what's on their mind--unless there's a measure of embarrasment involved, which is what led to the situations between Harry and Cho....and Ron and Hermione, too, if my hunch is right. ;)

So while Harry could be a little off-putting, I was always sympathetic with him. Adolescence is hard enough, doggone it, without having to save the world once a year to boot.

- Uni

yes, there were definitely times when his outbursts were inappropriate (or at least inappropriately handled), but then....who could blame him?

Actually, I've always expected him to turn quite mean for a while at some point in the story (more than he has so far), what with all those connections to Voldemort etc.

Marian - who still expects that.

Boo.

Well, I've read it again on my holiday, and I must say, this book is absolutely brilliant. I consider it the Animal House among Potters. Umbridge is my favourite character from the entire series. Every time I wanted to read to the next bit with Umbridge. God, this is the woman we all love to hate. Every year I have one or two teachers like this, always trying to stick to the rules and the book. Blech. "Are you a qualified teacher?" "No, but --" "Then you don't know what you're talking about." Brilliant.

- Marc, back from holiday.

UK Paperback, chp 6, page 68

" 'Must be nearly time,' said Mr Weasley quickly [...], 'Do you know whether we're waiting for any more, Amos [Diggory]?'

'No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already [...]'"

Whoa, there's actually another one in there I didn't notice until I got back to OotP.

UK Paperback, chp 7, page 79

"[Mr Weasley introduces Harry to a lot of colleagues] '... and that's Bode and Croaker ... they're Unspeakables...'

'They're what?'

'From the Department of Mysteries, top-secret, no idea what they get up to...' "

I didn't notice this until I found out Bode was the guy who got killed in St. Mungo's by the Devil's Snare!

- Marc, :)

i also was reading. . ..

when they all sit down for dinner the VERY first night at Grimmauld place - there are 13. . .Remember Trelawney's quote. . .13 to dine, 1st to rise, 1st to die, GUESS WHO"S FIRST!

Harry Potter and the Mudblood Revolt  

Ugh, that's just Awful.

Harry Potter and the Quest of the Centaur

That's a little better, but it seems like it tries to be too important. The other titles were more ambiguous and low key.

Ray Barnsbury

• 2 weeks later...
Rumor: Goblet of Fire to be 4 hour movie

Emphasis on the word rumor. From Wizard News:

Wizard News has now learned, according to reliable sources inside Warner Brothers, that they are looking into the possibility of making Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire into one movie, four hours long, with an intermission.

I think it would be neat to go to a movie with an intermission. I've never been to one with.

I've had intermissions in both Potter and LOTR movies. Of course, they were "forced", simply stopping the movie in the middle, a few frames after a cut, which made it seem very brutal and unfitting. In the case of COS, I could hear a tiny bit of the Christmas theme right before the pause, so I knew what was going to come next.

Marian - who thinks they should have done a proper intermission on the 2-disc FOTR, with entr'acte music.

Hehe.

I convinced my mum to read the Potter book this summer, and so she read all four books in Dutch (OotP won't be out in Dutch until November). Now she's nicked my copy of OotP from my bookshelf and has started reading part 5 as well. 8O

- Marc

:music: John Williams - The Battle Of Endor II from Return of the Jedi

• 1 month later...