Do actors who can't really sing ruin your experience of film musicals?

Jurassic Shark

12 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Depends on how strong the orchestral accompaniment is. 😉 I'm no big fan of most of the singing in Burton's Sweeney Todd, for instance, but I love the orchestral treatment so much that I don't mind.

The thing about movie adaptations of musicals is that they often get new orchestral arrangements. I think Les Miserables (2012) has a great orchestral adaptation, but the score is let down by the singing of some of the leads, particularly Russell Crowe. Similar criticism applies to The Phantom of the Opera (2004), Mamma Mia, and so on.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think I'm one of the few who's looking forward to Spielberg's West Side Story, but one thing I am NOT looking forward to is Ansel Elgort singing "Maria."

So they're not reshooting his scenes with another actor?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think Les Miserables (2012) has a great orchestral adaptation, but the score is let down by the singing of some of the leads, particularly Russell Crowe. Similar criticism applies to The Phantom of the Opera (2004), Mamma Mia, and so on.

You named all the worst offenders. Crowe, Butler, and Brosnan. I liked the Les Mis film, and the music in it, a lot, so it was a shame Crowe was such a complete embarrassment. Just dub the poor guy.

Probably won't watch the new West Side Story... the OCR is fantastic and they won't top that, plus I like the 60s film version already. A Spielberg remake is the last thing anyone needs.

I don't really watch a lot of film musicals, but it depends on the project, I guess.

They solved it pretty cleverly in GOODBYE MR. CHIPS wherein the totally incapable singer Peter O'Toole "spoke" his song parts instead.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Great musicals have always had revivals.

And. always should!

On stage, sure, because it's a live experience. With film, though, you're in remake territory. The earlier version is still around to compete with the new effort. And in this case, I have a hard time believing the remake will be worthy.

26 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

A Spielberg remake is the last thing anyone needs.

He's obviously doing it for himself.

21 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Gere did a good job in CHICAGO - great musical!

His singing isn't very good, though.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

They solved it pretty cleverly in GOODBYE MR. CHIPS wherein the totally incapable singer Peter O'Toole "spoke" his song parts instead.

That doesn't sound like a solution that would work well for existing musicals.

I must be the only one who didn’t mind Crowe’s singing in Les Miz. It’s been years since I’ve seen it, though, so maybe a rewatch will change my tune (pun intended).

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's obviously doing it for himself.

His singing isn't very good, though.

I meant to say " decent".

😎

53 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

On stage, sure, because it's a live experience. With film, though, you're in remake territory. The earlier version is still around to compete with the new effort. And in this case, I have a hard time believing the remake will be worthy.

Fair point.

But, Broadway ain't what it used to be.

Urgh, musicals. It's strange to see a performance in a musical played to no discernible audience, like some weird flash mob in a shopping mall or a park. Something about them feels unnatural. 

Personally, for me, the pitch perfect Broadway style singing doesn't always interest me in the film format.

If an actor is acting the hell out of a scene and isn't as strong of a singer, but can carry the tune just fine (but not perfect) then I would much rather that. It just rings false for me when I can audibly hear the switch from regular dialog (if there is any) to the obvious studio recording and all the notes are bloody perfect. I like the spontaneous sound when it's mic'd and done live on the set. Makes it feel more immersive and genuine, as do a couple of imperfect notes.

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Urgh, musicals. It's strange to see a performance in a musical played to no discernible audience, like some weird flash mob in a shopping mall or a park. Something about them feels unnatural. 

You're the audience.

Most of my favorite movies are full-on musicals…

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Sound of Music
The Court Jester
Mary Poppins
Thoroughly Modern Millie
White Christmas
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Yellow Submarine
A Hard Day’s Night
The Producers

Or at least part musicals…

Team America: World Police
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Romeo and Juliet (Olivia Hussey)

We watch a lot of musicals in my house, your Fred Astaires and your Gene Kellys and your Rogers and Hammersteins. Performers used to have just bucketloads of talent. You just don’t see that today. I like La-La Land a lot, but, sad that’s the best they can pull off today.

As for West Side Story, love the stage show (I have been in it as a kid; who hasn’t?), but the movie really falls flat in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I wish you'd told him that, at the beginning of 1989 :(

He never asks me what I think about anything  >:-o

10 hours ago, TSMefford said:

If an actor is acting the hell out of a scene and isn't as strong of a singer, but can carry the tune just fine (but not perfect) then I would much rather that.

Agreed, within reason. Crowe's voice was an exception because he was just downright unpleasant to listen to. But all the other actors in Les Mis pulled off what you're describing beautifully.

7 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

He never asks me what I think about anything  >:-o

Agreed, within reason. Crowe's voice was an exception because he was just downright unpleasant to listen to. But all the other actors in Les Mis pulled off what you're describing beautifully.

You know, it’s odd, I actually didn’t have an issue with Crowes voice. The other thing too is that I feel like his character would sing that way. It felt very Organic to me. I honestly never even notice what people have issues with for him. Feels natural.

I have far more issue with the grossly synthetic and auto tuned voices in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast remake. If they can’t sing or they miss a few notes, then either get someone who can sing, or embrace the natural feel. 

At least Crowe and Les Miserables had the guts to put acting and performance first, and didn’t feel the need to sanitize the singing.

Burton's Sweeney Todd is a perfect example - nobody is a great singer but they all at least carry the tune.  While I didn't care for the movie, I didn't mind the singing in the recent live action Beauty and the Beast for the same reason.  Now if it's a musical about, like, a great singer, or if it has a big showstopper song where somebody really needs to belt, that person should be a singer.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Burton's Sweeney Todd is a perfect example - nobody is a great singer but they all at least carry the tune.  While I didn't care for the movie, I didn't mind the singing in the recent live action Beauty and the Beast for the same reason.  Now if it's a musical about, like, a great singer, or if it has a big showstopper song where somebody really needs to belt, that person should be a singer.

Agreed on your last point.

in regards to Beauty and the Beast, the singing itself isn’t the issue necessarily. It’s the horrid auto-tune job. There are very jarring synthetic jumps between some notes and even times where the auto tune sounds as if it’s over correcting. Completely ruins it for me and takes me out of the already mediocre film I’m watching. If you can’t convincingly auto-tune it, then either leave it alone or get someone who can actually accomplish what you want.