Do actors who can't really sing ruin your experience of film musicals?

Jurassic Shark

No one else mentioned Emma Watson's painful autotune in Beauty and the Beast? Shame.

Everyone else in that cast could sing. Disney could've saved a couple of million by getting someone like Emmy Rossum who can sing and act -- even if she didn't look as youthful as Watson did.

58 minutes ago, Matt C said:

No one else mentioned Emma Watson's painful autotune in Beauty and the Beast? Shame.

Everyone else in that cast could sing. Disney could've saved a couple of million by getting someone like Emmy Rossum who can sing and act -- even if she didn't look as youthful as Watson did.

I sure did. Right here:

11 hours ago, TSMefford said:

in regards to Beauty and the Beast, the singing itself isn’t the issue necessarily. It’s the horrid auto-tune job. There are very jarring synthetic jumps between some notes and even times where the auto tune sounds as if it’s over correcting. Completely ruins it for me and takes me out of the already mediocre film I’m watching. If you can’t convincingly auto-tune it, then either leave it alone or get someone who can actually accomplish what you want.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:26 PM, bruce marshall said:

Jack Nicholson did TWO musicals-!

Indeed, but done with such over-the-top glee, it's to die for. Those looks he gives Ann Margret in TOMMY, man! Whenever I want to get in the mood for a party, I put on this scene:

I might just prefer this version of TOMMY over the original record.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

One could also mention Emma Watson's painful autotune in Beauty and the Beast.

I wish you fucking hadn't.

I watched LA LA LAND,  last night. Neither Gosling nor Stone can carry a tune, but it didn't put me off. I just accepted it.

I switched off La La Land when they started to dance. It was then when I realized I wasn't in the mood for a modern musical that wanted to copy old school musicals. 

44 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I switched off La La Land when they started to dance. It was then when I realized I wasn't in the mood for a modern musical that wanted to copy old school musicals. 

I never cared for that movie either. It's second-hand Demy/Legrand, and then I'd rather just watch LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT again instead.