New 2020 Alexandre Desplat album AIRLINES

Will

• 1 month later...

Alexandre Desplat’s ‘Airlines’ Album Released

vca-93-scaled.jpg

Warner Classics  has released the album Airlines by Academy Award-winning composer Alexandre Deplat. The album features unreleased recordings, including revisited versions of music from the composer’s films, including the Oscar-winning scores for The Shape of Water and The Grand Budapest Hotel, as well as Lust, Caution, Girl with a Pearl Earring and Birth. Also included are two original concert works.  The music is conducted by Desplat himself and is performed by flautist Emmanuel Pahud accompanied by the National Orchestra of France. The album is now available to stream/download here and visit Amazon to order a CD and vinyl version.

Here’s the track list of the album:

1. The Shape of Water: I. The Shape of Water (2:19)
2. The Shape of Water: II. Watching Ruth (3:49)
3. The Shape of Water: III. Elisa’s Theme (4:59)
4. Pelléas et Mélisande: I. Comme un oiseau pourchassé (7:38)
5. Pelléas et Mélisande: II. Ils regardent la lumière (5:22)
6. Pelléas et Mélisande: III. Rosée de plomb, inexorables ténèbres (6:19)
7. Lust, Caution (2:22)
8. Girl with a Pearl Earring (7:26)
9. Birth (7:36)
10. Airlines (4:19)
11. The Grand Budapest Hotel (4:08)

• 2 weeks later...

Alexandre Desplat released a new album this year that features Desplat himself conducting the French National Orchestra and flute soloist Emmanuel Pahud.  The album features a mix of concert works and arrangements from his film scores.

The concert works are Pelléas et Mélisande, a flute concerto, and Airlines, a short work for solo flute.

image.jpeg

1. The Shape of Water: I. The Shape of Water (2:19)
2. The Shape of Water: II. Watching Ruth (3:49)
3. The Shape of Water: III. Elisa’s Theme (4:59)
4. Pelléas et Mélisande: I. Comme un oiseau pourchassé (7:38)
5. Pelléas et Mélisande: II. Ils regardent la lumière (5:22)
6. Pelléas et Mélisande: III. Rosée de plomb, inexorables ténèbres (6:19)
7. Lust, Caution (2:22)
8. Girl with a Pearl Earring (7:26)
9. Birth (7:36)
10. Airlines (4:19)
11. The Grand Budapest Hotel (4:08)

https://open.spotify.com/album/6kJBFXxDlHd4apTrS3Q3aD?nd=1&nd=1

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

I LOVE that track!

I agree, the flute concerto as a whole is for sure the highlight and main reason to get this album.  It's music that is very "present" and exciting and grabs you by the collar with its expressive ideas.

I do think it's interesting that outside of the concert works and the two Oscar winning scores (obvious picks to include on a release like this) the three film scores he chose to highlight in concert arrangements were all from the mid 2000s period (2003-2007) when Desplat first broke into international success.

Just had a listen and really liked this!

Pelléas et Mélisande is indeed the highlight but I really loved the Grand Budapest track as a finale, not only does the flute work really well but I was surprised that it's actually a little suite with multiple themes and the rewrites of multiple cue segments, not just a straightforward extended presentation.

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

I really loved the Grand Budapest track as a finale, not only does the flute work really well but I was surprised that it's actually a little suite with multiple themes and the rewrites of multiple cue segments, not just a straightforward extended presentation.

Yes!  If more composers would do what Williams has done for 40+ years, create actual for real concert arrangements for their scores, I would be a very happy camper.