Restored Isolated Score: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (w/o SFX)

ragoz350

That extended Firebolt alternate is cool! I never realised there was deleted footage there (but it was a wise omission for sure).

Really hope Williams recorded these early versions, and the analogue masters for POA are eventually located. Would happily buy a 3CD set for Azkaban if it included another half dozen alternates or whatever.

Fascinating stuff @ragoz350! I've listened to this score dozens of times and you've finally joined all the dots for me.

Williams' original intentions clearly designed the past and present cues to be musically linked, before they started revising cues. Selfishly I'm happy that we ended up with such brilliant revised versions (like Harry and Sirius with WTTP included) but this is a great insight into JW's thought-process as a musical storyteller.

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

Dementors Circle in Watching the Past... it's as if I've never heard the cue before!

It creates such fantastic dissonance with those cold strings! Not sure if it was JW's intention but it's very effective.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Really hope Williams recorded these early versions, and the analogue masters for POA are eventually located. Would happily buy a 3CD set for Azkaban if it included another half dozen alternates or whatever.

While I think these mock-up alternates are interesting, I do not believe they were actually recorded along with the entire score. If they were, they would have been included in the box set along with the other alternate cues.

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

While I think these mock-up alternates are interesting, I do not believe they were actually recorded along with the entire score. If they were, they would have been included in the box set along with the other alternate cues.

They were probably recorded (at least ~50%), but WB apparently just lost these records. Or they hide them for some reason.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

How would you know if these mock-up alternates were actually recorded? Like I said, if they actually were recorded, they would’ve been included with the entirety of the score.

Because we know they didnt have all the materials? can't include what you can't find.

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

How would you know if these mock-up alternates were actually recorded? Like I said, if they actually were recorded, they would’ve been included with the entirety of the score.

Em, there is at least one insert "For Patronus Light" of 4M14 cue (in the h/w score). Why do you need to make a insert if the original recording is missing.

14 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Because we know they didn't have all the materials? can't include what you can't find.

Wait, what? How do you know that? I thought the only thing that was not included was the Shawm source cue.

9 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

Em, there is at least one insert "For Patronus Light" of 4M14 cue (in the h/w score). Why do you need to make a insert if the original recording is missing.

You change your mind and/or come up with a better idea?

28 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

You change your mind and/or come up with a better idea?

Yeah but when it's still in the handwritten sketch phase, wouldn't you just put the older pages aside and write the new one on new ones as if nothing happened?

On 9/20/2020 at 3:59 AM, ragoz350 said:

As an additional bonus, I decided to make a short video about repetitions of musical material between two timelines, created using a Time-Turner. 

Here I compared the following scenes:

Sirius and Harry/The Werewolf Scene - Lupin's Transformation 

The Dementor Converge - Watching the Past

UPD: As for the "Ludlow's unison" I said incorrectly: in fact, it is present only in Lupin's Transformation, but I think that JW still meant repetition of the material. But I may be wrong.

I didn't have a chance to watch this before, but I just did now, and holy hell, this is brilliant!  I never noticed some of those purposeful repetitions before, and how interesting that some repetitions got lost as cues got revised.  Wow!

Great work!

Question for those of you with the sheet music, and who can read sheet music!  @ragoz350 @BrotherSound etc

2M4 The Dementor Appears : The only difference between LLL 1-06 Apparition on the Train (Film Version) and LLL 2-15 Apparition on the Train is there are high horns at the very end of the Disc 2 (bonus/OST) version that don't appear in the Disc 1 (main program) version.  Does the sheet music show these high horns?  (The film doesn't use either ending, featuring tracked choir instead)

2M10 You Have the Grim : The only difference between LLL 1-14 The Grim / The Newspaper [0:00-0:30] and LLL 2-16 More Grim and Boggarts [0:00-0:30] is there is a high string line in the Disc 2 (bonus) version that is not in the Disc 1 (main program, also used in film) version.  Does the sheet music show this string line?

3MC Befriending the Hippogriff : Is the harpsichord bit heard at the start of the cue in the film or on the LLL CD (1-12 Befriending the Hippogriff [0:00-1:09]) shown in the sheets?

3M6 Snape Dresses Up : I assume the sheet music matches the first version (LLL 1-15 The Boggarts [0:00-0:43]), and not the second version (LLL 1-15 The Boggarts [0:43-1:25]), is that correct? (the film uses the first half of the first version and the second half of the second version)

3M6A The Spider : The only difference between LLL 1-15 The Boggarts [1:25-1:58] and LLL 2-16 More Grim and Boggarts [0:30-0:53] is there is an extra string line at the end in the Disc 1 (main program) version that is not in the Disc 2 (Bonus track) version.  Does the sheet music show this string line? (The film doesn't use either ending)

Thanks!

On 9/21/2020 at 7:40 AM, ragoz350 said:

But that insert sounds totally inappropriate for both the revised cue and the original one which you mocked up in the past. Oh, wait, do you mean they probably re-recorded the original first Frozen Lake? If it comforts you, that insert was also used in a HP3 dvd game, but only it was used, you can't hear anything else. The only thing that DVD gives away is that the original Marge Points the finger was recorded.

The 4M14 Insert for Patronus Light was surely written as an option for the original 4M1Dueling The Dementor, not the revised cue (4M14N The Dementor)

I guess the "inappropriate" feel is what resulted in the entire cue getting rewritten!

I don't really get why Cuaron and Williams needed 3 attempts to get on the same page about this scene

But yea, I think JohnnyD was just assuming that every last recorded cue was given to Mike by WB to make the LLL set with, when it's clear now that wasn't the case.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

2M4 The Dementor Appears : The only difference between LLL 1-06 Apparition on the Train (Film Version) and LLL 2-15 Apparition on the Train is there are high horns at the very end of the Disc 2 (bonus/OST) version that don't appear in the Disc 1 (main program) version.  Does the sheet music show these high horns?  (The film doesn't use either ending, featuring tracked choir instead)

Yes, but in the score there are high trumpets instead of high horns. And at the end of Film Version this trumpets are missing.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

2M10 You Have the Grim : The only difference between LLL 1-14 The Grim / The Newspaper [0:00-0:30] and LLL 2-16 More Grim and Boggarts [0:00-0:30] is there is a high string line in the Disc 2 (bonus) version that is not in the Disc 1 (main program, also used in film) version.  Does the sheet music show this string line?

Yes, there is a viola solo in the score.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

3MC Befriending the Hippogriff : Is the harpsichord bit heard at the start of the cue in the film or on the LLL CD (1-12 Befriending the Hippogriff [0:00-1:09]) shown in the sheets?

No, the harpsichord at the beginning of the cue is missing from the score. But, according to the score, the harpsichord was supposed to duplicate the violins in some places (on timestamps 0:18, 0:20, 0:29 in this video).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

3M6 Snape Dresses Up : I assume the sheet music matches the first version (LLL 1-15 The Boggarts [0:00-0:43]), and not the second version (LLL 1-15 The Boggarts [0:43-1:25]), is that correct? (the film uses the first half of the first version and the second half of the second version)

The score contains the version that sounds on 0:43-1:25 (LLL 1-15). And I think that this version is the first, and then the second was written (which is on 0:00-0:43) and it's not in the leak.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

3M6A The Spider : The only difference between LLL 1-15 The Boggarts [1:25-1:58] and LLL 2-16 More Grim and Boggarts [0:30-0:53] is there is an extra string line at the end in the Disc 1 (main program) version that is not in the Disc 2 (Bonus track) version.  Does the sheet music show this string line? (The film doesn't use either ending)

Yes, the score has this string line (violas) at the end.

8 minutes ago, ragoz350 said:

Yes, but in the score there are high trumpets instead of high horns. And at the end of Film Version this trumpets are missing.

Sorry, I was never good at identifying instruments by ear; Are you saying that the sheet music called for trumpets, but the recorded version (LLL disc 2) used horns?  Or that the recorded version uses trumpets as intended, but I just said the wrong instrument?

Yes, there is a viola solo in the score.

Thanks!

No, the harpsichord at the beginning of the cue is missing from the score. But, according to the score, the harpsichord was supposed to duplicate the violins in some places (on timestamps 0:18, 0:20, 0:29 in this video).

Interesting!

The score contains the version that sounds on 0:43-1:25 (LLL 1-15). And I think that this version is the first, and then the second was written (which is on 0:00-0:43) and it's not in the leak.

Oh I see!  That's interesting, thank you!

Yes, the score has this string line (violas) at the end.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sorry, I was never good at identifying instruments by ear; Are you saying that the sheet music called for trumpets, but the recorded version (LLL disc 2) used horns?  Or that the recorded version uses trumpets as intended, but I just said the wrong instrument?

Yes, the recorded version uses trumpets as intended. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Slightly off-topic @Jay, but since it was mentioned above: Do we know where that choir was tracked from for the film ending of The Dementor Appears? Not sure I ever placed it in my edit.

It might be the only piece of tracking I'm unsure of

Just now, Jay said:

I've honestly never investigated it!

No matter! Just thought I'd ask.

I have a hunch it's an isolated stem from somewhere in the cues during the first Dementor lesson, 4m11-4m14, but I wasn't sure.

There's a couple random small pieces of tracking like that. Like the intro from 3M5B placed over the beginning of both 3M11 and 4M10, and the intro from 7M9 put in front of 7M7. Super random.

@Jay 5M6 The Executioner as recorded is actually quite different than what's written in the full score: measures were removed or repeated, parts omitted, etc. Probably just pencilled in, though, rather than a true revision.

• 2 weeks later...

Ragoz, , I really hate to be a nuisance again, but is there any way you could possibly revisit that old Firebolt mock-up? I seem to hear that the credits begin just a little, little too fast? Either that or the Firebolt ends in a really rushed way?

Also, is there an easy way to download all these videos?

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Ragoz, , I really hate to be a nuisance again, but is there any way you could possibly revisit that old Firebolt mock-up? I seem to hear that the credits begin just a little, little too fast? Either that or the Firebolt ends in a really rushed way?

Also, is there an easy way to download all these videos?

Actually, the tempos of Firebolt and End Credits are slightly different, but I didn't think that was critical. I don’t know about downloading all the videos at once, I always thought it was possible only one by one.

Right, thanks. I figured it out. Great work again.

New question: that Firebolt mockup doesn't include Hedwig's Theme at the begining. Is that how it was written, or did you just found it superfluous?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks to @Lockdown for pointing out this channel to me

It seems he's applying AI sound effects cleanup (?) on the Blu Ray audio to get the film version bits that aren't on the LLL CD

For example:

Couldn't he just be using the isolated score track that Art of the Score has? 

On a sidenote, I'm getting the 4K Blu-Rays with DTS:X sound. Maybe that will allow for cleaner sound.

EDIT: His Cadogan cue is most definitely not the film version, it still uses the wrong album/LLL take. It's slowed down to film tempo, but the take is wrong.