• It's good
    • It's OK
    • It's mediocre
    • It's marginally acceptable
    • It's terrible
    • It makes me sick
    • It's the worst

This poll is closed to new votes

I put the files (MIDI and MP3) from my film score on my website for the time being. They are not necessarily final mixes, as I am still tweaking things.

http://themes.jw-music.net/music/cue1.mid - This is a solo piano piece that will be used somewhere in the film for some montages, but I don't know specifically which type. It may also be used as the end credits.

http://themes.jw-music.net/music/cue3.mid - This is a solo piano piece that will be used for landscape montages.

http://themes.jw-music.net/music/cue5.mid - This is a solo piano piece used during a segment on turn of the 20th century events.

http://themes.jw-music.net/music/Merengue.mp3 - This is a Latin merengue that will be used somewhere in the film, possibly for time-lapse footage.

http://themes.jw-music.net/music/dave's%20merengue.mp3 - This is another Latin piece (though it's questionable as to whether it's a merengue or not) that will be used in a segment on the Latino population in our area.

http://themes.jw-music.net/music/Underground.mp3 - This is an electronic piece of music that will be used for urban settings. The director wants to use this as the overture. I haven't seen the establishing shot, but I would rather see cue 1 as the overture.

Tell me what you think.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jsawruk,

may I ask what samples/soft-or hardware you've used for the latin style songs, which I think are very good!

Jsawruk, the piano sound is not good. In fact it is really bad. Is this an old Casio home keyboard? Also the quantizing it too dead on. You really should change your piano source.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex,

I assume you mean the piano for the MIDI files?

If that is correct, then they are MIDI files. If they sound bad, it's because of your equipment not mine. The timing is dead on because they are MIDI files. I have just recorded all of the MIDI files into MP3 with a live pianist. I will post those links hopefully soon. I think when you hear the MP3 version, your mind will change, as the performer adds molto espressivo e rubato, as well as being performed on a $50k Steinway in a really good acoustic space with digital recording equipment.

If you refer to the MP3 files already listed up there, then I do not agree with you. To me, those piano sounds are fine. The quantization of those files is tight, but it needs be as it is dance music.

Mythos,

I used Sonic Foundry Acid to create the latin tracks. I used samples from a variety of their sample libraries, including Acid Latin, Latin Percussion, and Essential Sounds II and III.

I really meant the MP3 files. Sustain is looped and no natural decay. Dance music? Funk and Disco is dance music and they're not dead on. It was to mechanical like 100% robotic. I'm sure your pianist will sound different, both emotionally and sound wise and therefore will make my comments futile.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I still don't agree with you. The piano sounds fine to me. It's an acoustic piano that isn't synthesized. Granted, it isn't a Steinway, but it shouldn't be for this kind of music. It gives it a more visceral feel; it sounds more like an authentic street band. As for the quantization, I'm sure you'd complain more if the quantization was off. Quantization and synchronization are very important parts of contemporary music production. If you have ever listened to any film music at all, then a lot of what you have listened to is far more accurate than what you hear here. Therefore, I don't really think you're hearing a quantization problem at all, but more likely a problem concern the using of dynamics and articulation. Dynamics I can correct, but articulation is much more difficult to do so.

Perhaps you just hear things at a much finer time resolution than I do, for if I compare this to similar pieces I have heard in both recorded and live versions, I cannot possibly hear any difference that the quantization makes. If you can hear that fast, I am impressed, for we are talking of an order of milleseconds. Does anyone else hear a quantization problem?

Just for clarification, I do not consider these electronic works to be the best in my repetoire, even of electronic works. They were made with Acid, and so the "mechanical" feel and the sound quality of the samples may not be to the highest standards. This is the type of thing that can happen on an extremely limited (i.e. zero) budget. However, I do think that the tracks are themselves of a high enough quality for this project. Sorry if I came off a little harsh (I can sound that way sometimes), but I actually do agree with AlexC somewhat. They aren't the best, and they aren't supposed to be.

As for my piano tracks (in MP3) format, they are better. I am very fond of cue 1, but cues 3 and 5 are only so-so in my opinion.

What about other works of mine, such as my CD, that you people have heard? Where are Ren and Wael with their comments? ;)

Keep replying. I love hearing what you guys think good or bad!

Jeremy;

The two latin pieces are just too repetitive for my tastes. The same riff over and over again (in just the minute and a half of mp3).

"Underground" is interesting, but again no real development in the melody. Just the same rythym and sounds over and over again. It actually reminded me, somewhat, of 80's John Carpenter.

Cue 1 is pretty, but too reminiscient of Beethoven, unless that is what you were shooting for, in which case, well done. Cue #3 is nice, in an Erik Satie kind of vein and Cue #5 is the best one. You captured the feeling of Scott Joplin without actually sounding like him.

In all, I say good work, without seeing the images that they are tied to it is difficult to offer an informed opinion.

Big Ken; Groovin on "Underground"

Yes, the latin pieces are repetitive, but that is very much the nature of this style. Furthermore, I made them repetitive in case they needed to be looped to be longer. More likely though, they will be much shorter in the film.

The electronic tracks are not meant to have melodic development. It is my assumption that in the film these tracks will play for about 30 - 45 sec, so the room for any melodic development is non-existant. You can hardly state a melody in that time, let alone develop it.

Glad you like it!