Restored Isolated Score: A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Holko

Movement II - The Journey

Moon Rising fits well. I chose to include the extension because the transition to it is pretty cool - but I wasn't going to waste time on cutting the footage to it because it's significantly longer. Biker Hounds was cut up a bit, some of it like the shot of Joe in the cage isn't even synced up properly in the movie.

Pretty much fits.

Journey to Rouge City was microedited. The climactic crash scoring "only" the car being full onscreen is a bit strange but that's how it's in the film and the rest is fine. Immaculate Heart's unused. Dr Know is a very fun source piece in context, with the "main menu" music and everything, and To Manhattan is unused again.

If you sync up the end of To Manhattan (this one), interestingly the opening syncs up with the beginning of the action scene with David getting in the amphibicopter... unfortunately not much would be in great sync, but it's a fun timing coincidence. In actuality the footage is much shorter so I had to stretch it. Reading Room fits nicely.

Replicas is great fitting horror music, and it all fits. I had to stretch Finding the Blue Fairy just a bit.

56 minutes ago, ragoz350 said:

Hm, i just noticed. Where's Canoeing with Pinocchio? In the film, this cue seems to be playing...

Damn, I rendered and uploaded it but forgot to include it! Thanks for the notice, post updated.

Movement III - Finale

Kind of straightforward. This is the original, warm and "friendly" version.

A bit longer and less straightforward - this is the colder, revised version, actually not only of the previous cue but seems to be a partial revision of the next one's opening, too.

The final film combines them, using the first half of the first, warm version, and the second half of the colder more distant version - even taking the partial revision idea further and looping parts of this cue to cover up the cello part of the next one.

And here we have the showstopper finale where the emotions are let loose after a score's worth of restraint and subtlety. All of these cues fit, even if the final film messes with Reunion a bit. At the end I've recreated JW's original intended credits even if I really don't like it.

5 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Here is another request: Hook.

Oh. That might take a few years, since I wasn't planning on getting into the score until LLL/MM revisits it properly.

Bonus - The alternates (well, the more interesting ones)

Interestingly this original opening is much longer and lines up very differently.

And this one runs much longer too.

Very different in places! But I prefer the focus on the Abandonment motif in the film version.

Fits.

Had to stretch it the same way as the other version. Interestingly different!

Fits.

I had to seriously trim this one here and there since it's a shorter take. But all worth it for when the strings take Monica's theme by the end.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh. That might take a few years, since I wasn't planning on getting into the score until LLL/MM revisits it properly.

Oh. Alright.

What about Rosewood?

Don't know the score well and haven't seen the movie, I'm leaving it up for other willing restorers. Jaws'd be fun but that's for summer. HA1-2 too but those are for December. CE3K, however... hmmm. That might be next. I see Stu only restored a couple cues.

I haven't had time to sit down and watch any of these recent score restore videos yet, but look forward to doing so very much and will provide feedback as much as I can

To chime in to this recent conversation of what might be worthwhile doing next, I agree it makes sense to skip past any scores that have not yet received a definitive edition from MM, as you never know when one will come out and make you want to redo work already done on videos

So out of the scores that have a definitive edition, might I suggest

Minority Report

Saving Private Ryan

Far and Away

So, from those above, the ones where I like both the movie and score are CE3K, a strong candidate, and Minority Report, which I believe @Chewy has informally already volunteered for. I love love love Superman's score, don't really want to rewatch that movie, certainly not even multiple cuts to see where edited out score bits could have gone. And I think F&A works much more brilliantly on its own - take The Land Race, JW scored the idea behind this event, this idealised American Dream culmination where anybody no matter their background are equal and have the same opportunities for getting their own land... in the movie half of it is just carts falling over in slowmo and missed sync points, it's very deflating. 1941... can be fun to listen to, less fun to watch. SPR... not for me.

Sorry! :(

The Indys and SWs will be obvious great subjects once they're done and out. I think most of JP 1 and 2 was done already separately or by Mr. Breathmask. I'll think some more, look through my library, maybe even non-JW stuff I know and love... BTTF? Didn't Stu do a lot from those? HttYD 1-2 maybe? I'd love to do HP4 when we get it from LLL.

E.T. is of course the ultimate candidate... but I'm still keeping away from it a bit.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nothing wrong with that!

I dunno, I'd much prefer the idea of a collaboration, either splitting the score then looking at what the other did, or one doing it and the other providing pre-feedback when needed, over two people knowingly working on the same thing separately, then posting it, rivalling over the likes and kinda shouting over each other, while the others who'd be interested to watch now have two of the same thing to pick from with no real difference.

(In actuality I brought possible scores up in a PM convo, said I'm not feeling like doing MR right now, Chewy said it'd be cool and he'd do it.)

Hmm, that makes sense

Too bad none of you are interested in Saving Private Ryan, especially when there's only about 40 minutes of footage scored by score to begin with. It's be a quick project!

By the way, I noticed a small detail - Alternative Finding the Blue Fairy ends in the same key in which 1nd version of Journey through the Ice begins. The same goes for Final Finding the BF and 2nd version of Journey through the Ice, but the key is different. However, since final Finding and beginning of 1nd version JttIce are used in the film, the transition is not as smooth.

Wow, that's really interesting! I have to admit splitting it into movements was a very convenient excuse to just do them in separate videos instead of one stretch, partly because the transition didn't sound too good like you say, and partly because Blue Fairy was just running longer and I had no clue where to edit the footage down, so cheating it by adding a fade to black and starting Journey in different videos was quicker and easier :P

It's certainly possible in the cut of the film Williams wrote those cues for, there was a scene that was now deleted in between those scenes

Technical question.

On the DIE HARD score restore, the music was replaced but He was able to keep the original soundtrack I.e. dialog and sfx.

How is that done and why can't other score restores do that.

I have done my own but only when music was completely dialed out in the film

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Technical question.

On the DIE HARD score restore, the music was replaced but He was able to keep the original soundtrack I.e. dialog and sfx.

How is that done and why can't other score restores do that.

I have done my own but only when music was completely dialed out in the film

First. It's done by inspecting the surround sound mix, seeing where the dialogue, sound effects and music are. If one's lucky, most of the important dialogue may be in the middle channel and the music mostly just in the side channels - but that doesn't occur that often. So then you take the channel with the least music and you put the music you wanna restore under it. A lot of times the original music still bleeds through because of how that channel was mixed, I hear it a lot in some other people's videos, and while I know it's not their fault I often find it awful to listen to. They can dial down the bleeding through music when there's no dialogue but that then makes it choppier.

Second. The intention of those kinda videos is (knowing how the score was used in the film) showing how some of the unused/replaced cues would have worked if they did end up in the film just like all the others. The intention of these isolated score videos is to show the composer's intentions in the purest form of the intended context with no distractions of other sounds but the picture still synced up so you can still appreciate the sync points and the reasons behind changing moods and whatnot.

I get that..And, I really appreciate the effort.

But, without the sfx it's not as satisfying.

FSM did a restore of JP. climax with JW music. Without the roaring Rex.  It's nice to hear the original musical concept, for sure. You have to use your imagination.

On 16/09/2020 at 9:26 PM, Jay said:

Very interesting, Now I'd be curious to see new videos that cover each of this cue combinations :p

So,

as we can read in the booklet, both versions of Journey were recorded on March 7th, and both versions of Blue Fairy on March 15th, so this correspondence is almost strange. Also, did he write new ones quickly for the afternoon session or did he just come prepared with two versions on both days? Both Journeys match up somewhat differently but not badly with Stored Memories, recorded on Feb 15.

Nevermind. Version one: Blue Fairy alternate, Journey part 1, Stored Memories

Version two: Blue Fairy main program version, Journey part 2, Stored Memories

Version three: film edit. Blue fairy main program version and orchestral excerpt switching back and forth, microedited twice, the last bit slowed down artificially. Journey pt.1 looped, switches to pt.2 midway. Journey pt.2 microedited, then looped to replace this portion of Stored Memories.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:32 AM, bruce marshall said:

I LOVE  the music but.. 

One of the most depressing films I've ever seen. I couldn't watch the clips😞. Sorry Holko.

Anyone else feel that way?

It's definitely a different experience now than 20 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's definitely a different experience now than 20 years ago.

Not necessarily what you're thinking, but one thing that struck me when rewatching it was the Twin Towers frozen in the ice. I actually stopped the movie and started thinking why I never heard that this one like many others also had to debate whether to include them or not, before realising it came out earlier in the year.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Not necessarily what you're thinking, but one thing that struck me when rewatching it was the Twin Towers frozen in the ice. I actually stopped the movie and started thinking why I never heard that this one like many others also had to debate whether to include them or not, before realising it came out earlier in the year.

Good observation.

The tragic backdrop of the story makes more of an impact on me now, because it feels more like "it could have happened to you".

On 9/15/2020 at 5:50 PM, Holko said:

All of these are straightforward enough. Abandoned's coda would score Gigolo Joe's first appearance but I didn't feel that was right, so I just let the fade to black stay black.

Did the sheet music ever leak for A.I.? Would love to know if there's any stage direction for that coda in Abandoned in the Woods. Clearly there was a short deleted scene here that ended the sequence (probably dialogue between Teddy and David) because I can't imagine Williams scoring a black scene with that music (even though it works surprisingly well as a music-only coda for Act 1).

@BrotherSound any intel here?

Yea there was a sheet music leak.

The OST track called "Abandoned In The Woods" is called Opening End Credits in the sheets

The LLL main program track "Abandoned In The Woods (Extended Version)" is mostly 3M7 Abandoned In The Woods, but a part of it is from 3M7 New Abandoned In The Woods.  IIRC, this main program track follows the exact takes used in the film, but doesn't lop off the "coda" ending like the film does.

The LLL bonus track "Abandoned In The Woods (Alternate)" is mostly 3M7 New Abandoned In The Woods, but a part of it is from 3M7 Abandoned In The Woods.  IIRC, this new assembly includes everything unique from either cue that wasn't in the main program version.

The LLL bonus track "Abandoned In The Woods" is Opening End Credits, like the OST track.

The "coda" ending is how 3M7 Abandoned In The Woods ends; 3M7 New Abandoned In The Woods's ending is heard at the end of the "Alternate" track on the LLL. 

We don't know what footage that "coda" ending was written for.  I saw someone once say that originally it would have shown David running up the hill chasing after Monica's car, with Teddy following him, but I don't know what their source was (perhaps the novelization if there was one?)

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea there was a sheet music leak.

We don't know what footage that "coda" ending was written for.  I saw someone once say that originally it would have shown David running up the hill chasing after Monica's car, with Teddy following him, but I don't know what their source was (perhaps the novelization if there was one?)

I'm surprised there's no stage direction in the sheets for what the music accompanied? I've never studied one of his written scores but I thought this was a fairly common practice for him.

Nah that's just on the sketches, well and the modern JKMS orchestrated sheets. 

Back in the day when everything was handwritten they weren't going to have the orchestrators rewrite all those notes down, they had more important work to do

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah that's just on the sketches, well and the modern JKMS orchestrated sheets. 

Oh right, I wasn't sure what the leak entailed. So unless the HW sketches or film screenplay leaks, we'll probably never know.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

That makes sense, in part it's kinda reminiscent of the unused ending of Biker Hounds for Teddy running up the hill.

• 2 years later...