Restored Isolated Score: The Cowboys

Holko

Note: This was originally done and posted in Stu's Iso Videos thread, then recently removed because I felt it wasn't up to the standard I've set for myself since. Now that it's been moved to its own thread, I've redone it from scratch.

Well this was a refreshingly simple one to do. Zero microedits, zero tracking over or dialing out, only a single unused cue. In fact I could have done most of it just visually - that is, the score has such a presence in the mix that I could have synced most of them up purely by matching the individual cue waveform to the film audio's waveform, without listening to any of it to check if it's right. The most complex operation I had to perform was separate The Boys - I assume it was recorded in one piece with a pause in the middle, but Mike brought them closer for listening. But for this reason I don't have much to say about it and I've gotten rod of my old little nothing commentary, I liked Dracula's much more. If you wanna read a track by track by me, I've done that already actually, check it out if you want. This time I decided to skip Overture, Entracte and Exit Music - there's nothing to sync up and nothing to look at, go watch the movie or listen to the Varese if you want them, ya freeloader!

So, here we go:

Main Title

The Hands Quit

The Boys, Wil and Ann

The Kids and Crazy Alice

Graveyard

Anybody That Tall

Training Montage

Long Hair and the Roundup

Nightlinger's Tale

To Belle Fourche

The First Night

Burning Daylight

Learning the Ropes

Sour Mash

Long Hair's Threat

Afraid of the Dark (the only unused cue)

Charlie's Demise

Charlie's Burial

Mrs. Collingwood's Girls

Long Hair Trails

Long Hair and Dan

Summer's Over, Drums of Manhood, The Execution and Into the Trap

The Battle

End Title and End Cast

Long Hair's Threat (alternate)

End Title and End Cast (alternate)

You should do the alternate Long Hair's Threat, being that it was apparently actually used, but for the cut of the film without Overture and Entr'acte

Interestingly enough, the 5.1 mix on the DVD actually has BOTH versions mixed in together (Rear channels I think.)

Well that would require me to... you know... have the DVD. Not only for reference but for the picture stream for the video, too.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well that would require me to... you know... have the DVD. Not only for reference but for the picture stream for the video, too.

Never mind what I said, I misunderstood your post.

Also, from what I understand, Long Hair's theme is played on a Bass harmonica, which is not THAT exotic.

I don't know what the instrument is playing the line underneath it, but it makes me think of an Ice Cream truck.

• 3 months later...
On 7/7/2018 at 4:09 AM, Holko said:

Long Hair and the Roundup

Now we're starting to get to the meat of the score. The menacing 'Long Hair' Asa Watts gets his own theme with its interesting atmosphere, interwoven with the Paternal Theme here, then we proceed to a unique fanfare with the Cowboys theme counterpointed, then an introduction of the Mischief theme as Honeycutt tries his luck at reining the horse in, Wil's spit ending the rythm.

I'm listening to this score this morning and BOY I LOVE THIS TRACK.  Loooove it.

Also, I'd like to get back to updating this thread with new videos.  Perhaps I shall for the new Dracula set.

• 1 month later...

Plans changed!  I am still working on some other Williams videos when I can (which isn't often), I'll post those at some point.  But I wanna give Holko lots of space to soak in the glory of his Dracula videos.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...