Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad's MEDAL OF HONOR: ABOVE AND BEYOND (2020)

Jay

29 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Holy cow. Where has this Giacchino been? This might be my first Giacchino buy for this year!  

Side note: I know he has done plenty of Video Game scores before, but are the others he's done like this? Any recommendations? I haven't and probably won't ever play the games themselves, but music is music.

There are so many good ones.  Some of my recent favorites, ANNO 1800 and KINGDOM COME: DELIVERANCE.  Also Benny Oschmann THE DWARVES.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Do you think we should assume that any track with a Melamud credit was in fact 100% composed by her?  Obviously interpolating Gia's themes, but that's what I'd assume

I think that's a fair assumption.

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Do you think we should assume that any track with a Melamud credit was in fact 100% composed by her?  Obviously interpolating Gia's themes, but that's what I'd assume

Of course. What other possibility would there be? 

The games creator talked about it in the interview in the main post

On 9/16/2020 at 5:28 PM, Jay said:

He produced the soundtrack and worked in conjunction with another songwriter named Nami Melumad, she took those pieces and wrote the tunes for most of the levels

Also Giacchino tweeted this

On 10/30/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jay said:

This is good stuff. Best Giacchino in aggggeess. 

But I can't tell who's the genius here: Nami or Giacchino? 

"Set Final Charges" Damn! So good! I honestly don't think it's Giacchino. It sounds too awesome. 

31 minutes ago, BLUMENKOHL said:

This is good stuff. Best Giacchino in aggggeess. 

But I can't tell who's the genius here: Nami or Giacchino? 

I mean the first few tracks are only credited to Giacchino. He seems to have created the main thematic material. But Nami has taken said material and done the bulk (quantity) of the work and has done an outstanding job with it. So I guess it depends on who's job you think is harder? 

They both have done great here I think.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

And yet no one here gave a crap about their last collaboration 

I don’t even know about it. I’m way off the Giacchino wagon. The only reason I listened to this was because I saw MoH and Giacchino’s name and wondered if it was any good. 

After a much too busy weekend where I didn't get to listen to anything fun, I'm finally checking this album out now on it's really good so far!  I'll report back when I've finished the album!

Has anyone on JWFan played the game yet?

What older MOH themes have you found are included? I've only listened up to "Dive Dive Dive!" so far but I've already heard:

• MOH: Underground Main Theme

• MOH Main Theme

• Nazi theme

• The “stalking” motif

• The U-boat theme (making a welcome return from it’s vacation into Lost).

• “World’s Worst Landing” gets awfully close to “Securing The Codebook” from MOH1 but doesn’t go all the way.

• I don’t know what it represents, but there’s a theme from several cues in MOH 1 (the start of “Approaching Colditz Castle”) which appears in “Armoured Chess”

And there very well could be more in the final 7 tracks.

The start of A Daring Plan sounds like an alternate reality's Imperial March

The whole album is fun with a nice flow!

Dive Dive Dive! would fit right into a Star wars production.  It's better than anything in Rogue One!

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Dive Dive Dive! would fit right into a Star wars production.  It's better than anything in Rogue One!

I hereby nominate Nami Melumad to write the score to Rogue Squadron!

I think the only problem this album has is a lack of an ending.  Everytime the "Stingers" track starts up I'm like "huh, I'm at the end already?"

There's no "big finish"

I wonder if moving the opening track to be the closing track instead, and just starting with Juliette's Theme, would be a nice alternative playlist...

Does anyone else think the cover art is quite bizarre?
It looks like it's about the Apollo missions; rather than in any way related to WWII.

Quick search online led me to this one though:

medal-of-honor.jpg

Who wants to put some appropriate "Music by" titles on there?

Should be easy enough. But I don't quite trust myself to get the style right...