Daniel Pemberton's ENOLA HOLMES (2020) + ENOLA HOLMES 2 (2022)

TheUlyssesian

This is why I consider it fun, feel good, popcorn movie. If you read into it too much, it's not as tight as it should be or could've been. I liked the energy, the cast, and the general idea of what I was seeing. 

Considering how well it seems to be doing for Netflix though, I'm sure there will be a sequel coming when they can. I look forward to it getting better perhaps, even though I don't consider it bad by any means.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

At least doing it this way gives Enola a choice between solving her own personal mystery, and helping someone else. That seemed to me one of the primary quandries she faced.

Score-wise, I read Broxton's review mentioned above, and agree with it - bought the CD earlier.

More on that topic, I picked it up too! I like it. It's a very fun score. I need to sit down and have a proper listen of it, but it's been fun to have on the last few days

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe they should have introduced the marquess guy earlier than the train scene or something

Agree with this. The setup is misleading. The marquess guy plot is the actual main plot of the movie. The book title is also called case of the marquess boy or something.

But they start is as the search for Enola's mother plot.

But to be fair to the movie, they do midway show throw a graphic or visual that they are abandoning the mother plot and will be following the marquess boy plot instead.

There is definetly a feminist theme to the movie, since the main plot concerns the bill that allowed women to vote. Also, Enola's mother teachers her daughter to be strong, and she herself is leader of an underground feminist movement, or something.

However, the movie isn't anti-male, or "all men are bad" or something like that. Characters like Sherlock and that boy (can't remember his name) are supportive of Enola in several occasions. 

So yeah, it's a feminist movie, but it doesn't have any agenda or try to promote anti-male politics. After all, Netflix needs that men also watch the movie, lol.

Yes, I would also like to support rough cut. He isn't imagining this. The movie is for sure a feminist movie. The film-makers say so themselves. Feminist in the sense, it does have patriarchy as the villain and does show women doing things in 1880s which I imagine are ahistorical to get a point across. There is some kind of blow it all up energy around it.

I don't think anyone minds that it is a feminist movie. Calling it a feminist movie is not a criticism. It is an assertion - a neutral one at that. I for one like the movie because it is decently engaging, has an engaging lead star and a very good score.

9 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Pass.

Enola Holmes’ - be it done with a PC-agenda in mind or be it just your average female led YA-movie - the movie doesn’t appeal to me. And by any and all accounts, it seems I won’t be missing out on a masterpiece.

So I’ll trust my gut, but I don’t mind the discussion or difference of opinion.

Thats fair. No one has to watch a film, but I would say it's a bit unfair to brand the film anything definitive based off some articles when you haven't seen it. It's completely fair if it's just not your thing though based on the aesthetic and tone of the trailer or something. Though even bad trailers have turned me off to films I ended up enjoying years later.

My other question, and I'm trying to not sound confrontational with this, I just legitimately don't understand: Why come into a thread for a film & score you're not remotely interested in? I stay out of the Zimmer threads because I typically don't like his stuff as of late and have nothing productive to add to the conversation these days.

I saw the trailer, didn’t like it. Who knows, maybe I’d love the movie! ;)

18 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Why come into a thread for a film & score you're not remotely interested in?

Why come to this thread... Who said anything about “not being remotely interested?”

How does one indicate ‘interest’?

What qualifies? Not having seen a movie but still having an opinion based on reviews seems to be disqualified if I’m reading you correctly.

Your question almost implies that someone shouldn’t be allowed to read/post on certain topics based on some invisible rule book.

Interest? Just by reading a thread - none the less engaging with written content - seems to indicate otherwise, no?

I didn’t come here like a troll, I am curious how people are receiving this movie since I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan.

I also think it’s fun to discuss the political agenda of certain movies... be it heavy handed or light hearted. What do people pick up? What do people say?

Would you deny anyone that?

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Your question almost implies that someone shouldn’t be allowed to read/post on certain topics based on some invisible rule book.

----------------------

Would you deny anyone that?

Good grief, I specifically said I wasn't trying to be confrontational when I asked the question. I was merely trying to understand your mindset, not trying to imply you didn't have a right to be here. No one here is saying you shouldn't be allowed in a thread. My point, as stated in my example was: If I don't like something (like Hans Zimmer) - it implies, in my mind, that I don't have an interest in looking at anything to do with it. So, why engage in a thread for something you've already decided you don't like? It was a question to understand your mindset, as it does not mesh with mine, not me trying to snidely imply I wanted to take away your rights.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Who said anything about “not being remotely interested?”

I sort of assume a lack of interest when you express that you would pass on the film without seeing it in your first post of the thread:

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

This is one movie I am happy to skip.

It seems awful right down from its woke inception to its pc-agenda fueled completion.

So that’ll be a ‘No thanks’ for me. ‘Back in the cupboard for you, Granola Holmes.’

That doesn't sound interested to me. It read to me like you were coming in to voice your displeasure for the film, but didn't ask any questions as to what other people thought about the film or the politics, at least in the first post. I suppose that's on me for interpreting it that way. If you're interested and want to discuss, by all means, go right ahead. I am stopping you, nor do I want to. Again, if I had those thoughts about a film, I wouldn't bother clicking on a thread for it, I was just trying to see where you were coming from.

I never expected a thread about the score for a Netflix film called Enola Holmes to be so heated. Lol. I have now... lost interest for tonight since this devolved so fast. So I'll see myself out. Have a good one everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

You blokes are just insane with your comprehensive analysis. I saw the film and must get around to listening to the score, really liked it in context. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

CC's review - https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/enola_holmes.html (4 stars out of 5)

(maybe he read my analysis :) )

Pemberton took quite a leap in CC's estimation with this score.

CC had reviewed only 2 prior Pemberton scores - Into the Spiderverse and Birds of Prey and he had awarded both 1 star out of 5.

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Thats clearly way too low for Spiderverse.

Agreed. I loved that score! It may not have been the most sophisticated and the style took some getting used to at times, but it was very fun and it had far more emotional resonance and life than a lot of other scores have had for me recently. I actually revisit this one quite often. It's fun to listen to.

I really, really disliked this film. The score had its moments, but nothing I would like to own. Pemberton has done much better in the past.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I actually liked the film too. It had a charismatic lead performance from MBB and the story was decently well written as well.

I liked it as well. A fun twist on the Sherlock Holmes stories.

I'll join in the chorus of love for this film and score. Neither one was amazing or brilliant or anything, like Holmes stuff can be at its best. But quite a delightful and fun romp. I would happily invite any sequels Netflix wants to fund (I think there are four other books in the series which could be adapted).

My quibbles with characterization probably lie more with the source novels than the filmmakers or actors, but I will say that Sherlock was a bit too *nice* in this (while I liked Cavill quite a bit in the role, he just comes off a bit too "normal" and well-adjusted, lacking Sherlock's familiar issues and quirks), and Mycroft was too much of an asshole.

Yavar

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I will say that Sherlock was a bit too *nice* in this (while I liked Cavill quite a bit in the role, he just comes off a bit too "normal" and well-adjusted, lacking Sherlock's familiar issues and quirks)

I found it refreshing. I've seen the same old iteration of Sherlock over and over. Cavill's version is a welcome change.

15 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Is Godzilla in it?

Yes absolutely. Sherlock follows the clues and figures out where he's hiding, which leads them to an underground layer of baby Godzilla eggs. The final battle includes hundreds of freshly hatched baby godzillas.

58 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Yes absolutely. Sherlock follows the clues and figures out where he's hiding, which leads them to an underground layer of baby Godzilla eggs. The final battle includes hundreds of freshly hatched baby godzillas.

I hope he brought a lot of fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Millie Bobby Brown, Henry Cavill Returning for ‘Enola Holmes’ Sequel

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/millie-bobby-brown-henry-cavill-enola-holmes-sequel-1234952481/

I hope Pemberton is returning too.

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Everything Cavill did is getting a new movie or new season... except for Superman. :( 

tbh, he's not a great Superman.

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

tbh, he's not a great Superman.

He looks great as Superman, it's unfortunate that the scripts they gave him were so bad.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

They're making a sequel to Man from UNCLE? ;)

Ok, so "almost everything".

28 minutes ago, Stark said:

I didn’t particularly like the film, but if it means we’ll get another Pemberton score in this style I’ll take it - this was the best score of 2020 in my book!

I would agree. Very memorable, and the kind of out and out big orchestral score that you don't see often for this kind of a film (or for any kind of a film).

• 1 year later...

Hmm, I just saw the trailer.

I didn't really care for the first film; Something about it rubbed me the wrong way.  I can't even really remember now what it was.  I did quite like Henry Cavill's portrayal of Sherlock in it, though!

This trailer, though... I think it looks better than the first movie?  Hard to tell from just a trailer I suppose.  Maybe I'll watch it after all.

I was quite put off by the anachronistic use of a Jet song in the trailer though.  I wonder if that new rendition was done for the movie, or if its just something for the trailer.

Here's the original if anyone is curious