Daniel Pemberton's ENOLA HOLMES (2020) + ENOLA HOLMES 2 (2022)

TheUlyssesian

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Picking up from earlier in the thread, it's illegal to post about "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" without also posting Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life."  Iggy Pop >>>>> whoever the dolts in Jet are

Man, those two Pop/Bowie albums are terrific.

That track sound amazing! I really love the score for the first one and I cannot wait to hear the new one on Friday.

I was revisiting the score for the first film and was compelled to do a small suite of some of the highlights, trying to properly represent at least the different main themes from the movie (Enola, Mystery, Love, Mother-Daughter). It's a great way to refresh the original score while we wait for the new one. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for making that suite, @Knight of Ren! That got me into the score more than the couple few times I listened to the OST two years ago. Now I'm definitely interested in hearing the sequel score on Friday! 

Glad you enjoyed it! I definitely recommend checking out the score in full, since there are some great variations on the themes that I had to leave out of the suite. And the thematic analysis @TheUlyssesian did is really helpful to appreciate the score even more!

I hope in the sequel we get to hear some new variations on all the themes, but I particularly want Pemberton to expand on the Tewkesbury / Love theme and the Mother-Daughter theme, since they weren't featured as much as I would have liked to in the first score, and they're both such great themes!

Saw the film, thought it was a lot of fun.

Milloe Bobby Brown is very good and funny. As is Cavill, he makes a very good Sherlock. Still wish Helena Bonham Carter was in it more, she's so good.

The rest of the cast is also a joy to watch.

There are some great characters and moments from the Holmes books/films with a clever twist that really worked well. I really enjoyed it.

Slight spoilers about the film.

Spoiler

I loved the way that Moriarty was handled in this film. It was very different but I thought it was dealt with really well.

And I also thought it was wonderful in the way the film was intertwined with something that really happened and with a person that really excisted. Made it even better I felt.

And the final scene with Watson visiting Sherlock was great. And great to see Himish Patel. I would watch a fiom with them as Holmes & Watson

The music, again is terrific. Not sure yet if I feel it's better then the first score, but there are some wonderful moments.

I love the parts where an organ and bigfer choir are used. And the dance pieces are also wonderful.

All the themes are reprised. Enola's theme & the love theme get the best new statements. Great stuff.

There are some reprises of music from the first film not on the album.

• A small reprise of "Dressing Up Box".
  • An action scene based on music heard in "Fight Combat".
  • Some statements of the Mystery theme, but these are mostly plain statements.
  • A lovely statement of the Mother theme.

Album is also not chronological, so see the right order below.

Spoiler
  1. Stop That Girl!
  2. The Enola Holmes Detective Agency
  3. Find Your Path
  4. To Shadwell
  5. Lyon's Match Factory
  6. A Loose Thread
  7. Mysterious Follower
  8. 221b Baker Street
  9. The Game Has Found Its Feet (Again)
  10. Bell Lane, Whitechapel
  11. The Merry Dance
  12. The Threads Intertwine
  13. Chaperone Waltz
  14. Le Langage De La Danse
  15. Dancing Lessons
  16. The Last Dance
  17. Quite A Party
  18. Deductions
  19. Carriage Chase
  20. Grail On Horseback
  21. Sweet William
  22. Blackmail
  23. Enola And Tewkesbury
  24. The Truth Of The Gods
  25. Stage Fight
  26. The Curtain Falls
  27. Up In Flames
  28. The Only Power We Have
  29. Enola Holmes (One Flame To Start A Fire)

Here is a list of cues from Enola Holmes 2 (the soundtrack is incomplete and uses mostly different titles). Don't know if this list is chronological (the OST isn't):

Spoiler

BTA419 Street Chase
BTA426 Detective Agency Bell - Part 1
BTA427 Change & Progress
BTA428 It's Your Path
BTA429 My Only Family
BTA430 12 March
BTA431 The Match Factory
BTA432 Match Maker Trouble Maker
BTA433 Trailing Through London
BTA434/5 Musical Bonk 1 - Part 1/2
BTA436 Music Hall Tension FX & Hits
BTA447 Musical Bonk 2 - Part 1
BTA448 Flashback: Where Did You Get That Hat?
BTA456 Musical Bonk 2 - Part 2
BTA457 Cash For Answers
BTA458 Mysterious Follower
BTA459 221B                    OST07
BTA460 Enola Explores Baker Street
BTA461 221B Map Sting
BTA462 Bell Lane Cypher
BTA463 The Detective Agency St James Park
BTA464 Discovering Mae
BTA465 2M27 At The Murder Scene
BTA467/8 Murder Scene Escape - Part 1/2
BTA469 Hiding From The Police
BTA470 3M?? The Merry Dance
BTA471 Terrible Violin Melody Fail
BTA472 Investigate The White Lights
BTA473 William Lyons Dark Future
BTA474 Chaperone Waltz
BTA482 Dance Cypher
BTA484 Dancing Lessons
BTA490 William Lyons Dark Dance Card
BTA493 Arrested Allegro
BTA494 4M49 Deductions
BTA495 4M50A Carriage Escape
BTA496 Grail On Horseback
BTA497 One Voice
BTA498 5M53 (A Better Future /) Limehouse Bolt On
BTA499 Under Your Nose
BTA500 Love
BTA501 Matchstick Factory Fight
BTA502 The Dead William Lyons
BTA503 Blackmail
BTA504 Carriage Kiss
BTA505 Finding The Contract
BTA506/7 Night Fight - Part 1/2
BTA508 MacIntire & Troy
BTA509/10 6M67 Up In Flames - Part 1/2
BTA511 Sarah Story
BTA512 Kindest Offer
BTA513 The Merry Dance (Newspaper Sting)
BTA514 Announce To Society
BTA515 Dr. Watson
BTA516 Wild Child Ending
BTA517 Detective Agency Bell ER
BTA518 Dancing Lessons ER

So while I enjoyed listening to the first film's OST album again last night right after seeing the movie, and definitely felt like the OST album covered all the highlights (it must be pretty close to complete, right?), I did have one question.  In the film, there's an upbeat and fun arrangement of the mystery theme in the end credits after where the final OST track ends.  Is that unreleased, or was it just one of the earlier OST tracks?

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Well we re-watched the original film tonight.

I did not like it when it came out 2 years ago, but ended up interested in the score and its sequel score enough to want to see the new film, and revisit the first before doing so.  Good thing too, because I had barely remembered anything about the film at all in the 2 years (common for a lot of early pandemic content, I've found).

I liked the film much more this time than I did then!  Boy, it really rubbed me the wrong way the initial viewing, or maybe I was just in a bad mood or something.  It didn't annoy me at all this time, it was a nice easy watch.  I don't think it's great by any means, but it's perfectly fine.  Really sets up a potential for a good series if they can focus on what worked best and pivot away from what didn't as they go on.

The biggest problem that the film has, is its weird and abrupt focus-shift.  The film starts being about finding her mom, then she stumbles into the case of the missing marquis and chooses to focus on that, which is fine, but the mother subplot doesn't just become background noise.... it is all but dropped entirely, until suddenly returning in the final few minutes after everything else is wrapped up.  But what's worse, is that her disappearance isn't really ever explained!  It's clear from the clues and the meeting in the house that she was plotting some sort of bombing with a bunch of other women, and Enola even finds the bombs halfway through the movie...but the movie ends without explaining what she was up to.  It seems like it would have been so easy to tie it into the marquis story by saying she was going to bomb a place where a bunch of people that were going to vote against the reform bill were going to be, but.. nothing is explained.  Unless I missed it??

Anyway, what was really nice about this viewing was I had just listened to the sequel's score album Friday, as well as that suite from the first film up above, and on this viewing it was quite easy to pick up on what Pemberton was doing with all the themes.  The so-called "Mystery Theme" (is that Pemberton's name, or @TheUlyssesian's ?) is wonderful in all its different guises, and really gets to shine in key moments in the film.  Enola's theme does too, and the love theme is pretty decent too - definitely feels like something that could be expanded on in sequels as the two get older.  The remaining themes aren't as bold and noticeable, though the mother/daughter theme is nice enough when its used.

We'll probably watch the sequel film tomorrow.

I'm listening to the OST album for the first film now following along with this great post, and it's really enriching my listen!

All theme names were invented by me. We don't know what DP calls them. CC from filmtracks seems to have co-opted the names I created so for better or for worse they seem to have stuck.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Wow, that's pretty cool!! 

And also.... Kind of lame that he didn't give you credit, no? 

I don't know if CC has every acknowledged the presence of Jwfan. I am sure he must read it. I am sure he draws from lots of posts here while writing his reviews because there is present tense discussion of scores here and his reviews are usually weeks or months late. I don't think I personally merit a credit per se but an acknowledgement of the role this place plays in shaping the discourse around film scores would be more on point.

Another great score, although I do think the first was better. The first two tracks seem to have some Game of Shadows temping, or at least stylistic influence, which is fun.

We watched the second film on Sunday.  I dunno if I'd say it was much better or much worse than the first one; It was kind of more of the same.  I still kind of feel like the directors can't manage the balance of mystery/investigation with the forced action/chase scenes well, and some of the subplots were really undercooked.  But the main mystery was mostly pretty fun and I really like Cavill's Sherlock.

The score was great!  I didn't notice any new themes, but the mystery theme gets a lot of new permutations.  The main Enola Holmes theme was only used at the end I think?  

Definitely want to listen to the OST album again now.  But I should track down both OSTs on physical CD before they become impossible to find cheap...

I now realised why I have the first one on CD - the price of this one on CD is the same as lossless digital.

Is it just me, or is it highly unusual for Netflix scores to get a CD release at all?

Time to give this one a listen.... (and I might just sign up for a month of Netflix over Xmas to actually watch it too)

(an hour later) it's a good listen, although not a lot in the way of new themes that I detected (a descending motif might be one) and the two primary themes from the first score aren't used a huge amount, but it shows Pemberton can make a good score even without heavy thematic usage. I think the only element working slightly against it is that a lot of the tracks are short and don't give ideas time to develop - I guess a reflection of how it's used in the film.