Michael Kamen's ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (1991) - New 2020 Intrada edition

Jay

Interesting, frustratingly I just bought the last release a couple of months ago but fair play to them if they are releasing it again from more complete/better sources, always a worthy pursuit. The previous expansion is probably enough for me (and made me appreciate the score much more than the OST had) but I'll take a listen to any new music this release has and go from there.

After the first set came out in 2018, Roger posted this to the Intrada forums

For those asking about completeness, here's what is missing that could not be found on any source, anywhere:

01M04 - And His Merry Men (5:08) DVD: 0:05:57 - 0:10:47

Plays from Robin and Azeem's budding friendship through the destruction of Locsley Manor.

02M02A - Arrow (1:15) DVD: 0:17:54 - 0:19:06

Plays as Robin saves the child in the tree from Gisborne. Sounds very much like a construct.

09M01A - "Wild Times" (:38) DVD: 1:19:45 - 1:20:23

The film version of the Jeff Lynne pop song from the album.

10M00B - "Medieval Dance Source #3" (1:12) DVD: 1:25:03 - 1:26:09

12M01 - "Marriage Plans / Robin's Alive" (4:53) DVD: 1:41:18 - 1:46:04

Plays from Sheriff's forced marriage proposal to Sheriff telling Marian Robin is Dead, to Robin's survival.

13M01C - Hangman's Drums (1:51) DVD: 1:57:00 - 1:57:55

Just a repeating drum pattern. Nothing special here.

There's also a little bit of music that starts right at the beginning of the end credits and plays for 20 seconds before the Bryan Adams song kicks in. It's definitely dropped in, and frankly the edit is really bad.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=78617#p78617

Of course, that only discusses music you can hear in the final film; If a new source elemement was found containing the original recordings of those cues, it could very well also contain unknown numbers of other cues on it as well that didn't end up appearing in the film - as well as potentially better sound quality for cues that were on the first expansion

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Hasn't this score already been released a few years ago? What happened to the other release? Is this new release more complete than the other?

The new release's cover art states it's "remastered and expanded". The previous one didn't. So yeah, bet they managed to locate the rest of score material. Guess I'll be buying this.

Karol

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course, that only discusses music you can hear in the final film; If a new source elemement was found containing the original recordings of those cues, it could very well also contain unknown numbers of other cues on it as well that didn't end up appearing in the film - as well as potentially better sound quality for cues that were on the first expansion

I remember the sound quality of the overture was a significant improvement on the expansion, but I can't remember if the sound quality varied between cues.

21 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Those lists of as of yet unreleased music tracks are still missing a few bits I think. Like when Robin falls into the fire during the forest battle, or when he shoots an arrow through the hangmans ropes.

Yep, when he rescues LJ’s wife and the hangman sequence, also where they dump the gold pieces on the Celts.

Doug's Corner:

9/20/2020

Next up on our docket of new releases is an all-new examination of the magnificent score Michael Kamen recorded in 1991 for Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves. I hesitate to identify it as a reissue of our previous edition since this one comes from superior new elements, includes a wealth of important music missing from the earlier release and was produced with the generous help of the Kamen Estate. The 4-CD set is available this week. Look for artwork, complete contents and sound samples this Monday eve.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8550

23 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I guess it's not a dream come true for people who bought the previous set...

Will you be saying that when they re-release Hook? ;)

Karol

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, I never thought I’d triple dip for certain scores.

now if only someone could find the missing tapes for The Satan Bug.

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

So it's like the Die Hard situation basically. I wonder how good can it possibly sound.

Well, they can't fix the performance…

Anyway… 4 CDs… The previous release has 134 minutes. Add 20 to that and you're still under 2 x 80 minutes. I wonder how much else they can add to spread the non-album stuff to 3 discs. Or it's just a matter of some 2 minutes too many, or of a lengthy track that cannot be split, and it'll just be three 50 minute discs. The OST will be disc 4, obviously.

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, they can't fix the performance…

There's indeed some annoying flubs scattered throughout the score, but it's difficult to beat the energy of the performances.

56 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The OST will be disc 4, obviously.

Is there even anything "valuable" on it or just edits of score cues? I don't like when OSTs are thrown in just to waste space with no good excuse like "the mix is different", "it has alternates that don't fit on the score discs", "it's been OOP for 3 decades" or "if we wanted to include everything, it'd just barely spill over onto a second disc, why not include the OST too to justfy the second disc better?".