Michael Kamen's ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (1991) - New 2020 Intrada edition

Jay

Yeah, the songs weren't on the previous expansion and may be on the expanded version..

Additionally, if they restored the OST program using the superior elements, it might be a significant sonic improvement - which I'm all for, as preservation of an OST program is part of the deal for me.  I could get rid of my 1991 disc.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's indeed some annoying flubs scattered throughout the score, but it's difficult to beat the energy of the performances.

Now you're just mocking the reactions to your comments on Williams' Philharmoniker concerts.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Now you're just mocking the reactions to your comments on Williams' Philharmoniker concerts.

Actually, I'm not! But the presence of a flub or ten doesn't mean there can't be good things about the performance. Just listen to the original recording of the overture... no re-recording has come close to that level of sheer energy and enthusiasm.

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Williams' Philharmoniker concerts

Are you planning a review of the CD release, as a follow-up to your concert review? That would be interesting to read.

16 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Additionally, if they restored the OST program using the superior elements, it might be a significant sonic improvement - which I'm all for, as preservation of an OST program is part of the deal for me.  I could get rid of my 1991 disc.

Yeah but if it only has stuff that are or could be on the other discs and there's no other good reason, then it's just a price hike for something you could edit for yourself digitally with Jay's spreadsheet in 30 minutes. 5 if there are no combinations, just a reorder.

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah but if it only has stuff that are or could be on the other discs and there's no other good reason, then it's just a price hike for something you could edit for yourself digitally with Jay's spreadsheet in 30 minutes. 5 if there are no combinations, just a reorder.

It's not just a reorder. And the shortened overture on the OST has a better flow, IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Actually, I'm not! But the presence of a flub or ten doesn't mean there can't be good things about the performance. Just listen to the original recording of the overture... no re-recording has come close to that level of sheer energy and enthusiasm.

Perhaps. But some of the big brass cues are really very hard to listen to, and that's putting it mildly.

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you planning a review of the CD release, as a follow-up to your concert review? That would be interesting to read.

No, because my overall view remains the same as after the concerts. Of course, the recording makes the occasional mistakes more noticeable (and two or three painful), but those are gone in a moment and have no impact on the overall experience for me. And I have no interest in picking apart cues and playing bits and pieces over and over again, or sitting down and intimately comparing it to the rather lousy Dudamel album, just to come up with a somewhat objective review. I do however intend to post some of my views in the appropriate thread once I sit down and watch the whole thing again in full. But I've listened to most of it in shorter playlists often enough to know that it'll they'll mostly reflect my surprise and incomprehension of some (or many) of the harsher things that have been said about it.

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

some of the big brass cues are really very hard to listen to, and that's putting it mildly.

Agreed. I said the same thing to Thor, and he hadn't noticed it on the OST. Good for him, I guess. :) 

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Agreed. I said the same thing to Thor, and he hadn't noticed it on the OST. Good for him, I guess. :) 

I remember some "raw-sounding" stuff on the OST, but nothing as downright dirty and shaky as some of what I hear on the expansion. I've not listened to either of them often enough to make any definitive statement, but my impression was the the OST only used the best of the dirty bits.

55 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've listened to most of it in shorter playlists often enough to know that it'll they'll mostly reflect my surprise and incomprehension of some (or many) of the harsher things that have been said about it.

If you're referring to my own comments about the album release, they were mostly replies to posters who claimed there were no flubs at all in Jaws. And frankly, the whole performance of that piece feels like it's threatening to fall apart with the flubs and the weird tempo changes. I don't see why some people need to deny the presence of such mistakes in order justify that they like the performance. The world isn't black and white, and it's OK to love something that isn't perfect. But to me, this Jaws performance is too much imperfection.

Roger's writeup

INTRADA Announces:

ImageImage

ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES
Music Composed and Conducted by MICHAEL KAMEN
INTRADA ISC 458

For Intrada's latest release, the label revisits its 2018 release of Michael Kamen's adventurous score for the 1991 Morgan Creek production of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. While the 2018 release featured a wealth of new material, it was still not complete due to available elements at the time. Now with the assistance of the Michael Kamen estate, not only were more extensive music elements available, they also boasted an improved sound. Among some of the cues being presented for the first time:

• "And His Merry Men" for the five-minute sequence when Robin and Azeem break out of prison and the introduction of Robin's father and the backstory of betrayal
  • "Arrow," which launches with the rousing French horn and trumpet fanfare as Robin suddenly fires a crossbow at Sir Gisborne and the accompanying combat
  • "Celt Battle" now includes the missing final part where Robin rescues Fanny and her infant from the burning tree house
  • "Will Captured" is added to a 10-minute battle sequence, in which Will is spotted among the gathering crowds preparing to watch the hanging
  • "Hangman's Drums"
  • "End Credits," a cue Kamen wrote for the ending of the score, which was dropped in favor of the vocal (still not available for licensing for this release)

And more!

With the score proper filling two discs, the third disc includes a wealth of alternates. Included among the alternates is the Morgan Creek logo, which uses the Robin Hood theme for the logo attached to their movies from that point on. Finally, a fourth disc contains the entire program Kamen assembled for release on the first album (sans the vocal), as it contains many unique edits and assemblies making it a program worth perserving.

Joined by horns, Robin is given a heroic theme during the opening credits, drawing in the audience to the deeds and misdeeds to come from this new vision of Robin Hood. The orchestration is traditional—featuring brass in action scenes, strings in scenes of intense emotion, and pastoral woodwinds to evoke the beauty of Sherwood Forest. It roars, it whispers. It sings, it dances. It excites, it calms. Sometimes it even frightens. With a strong heroic theme, a "stalking bass line" for needed menace, and a simple, yet delicate and romantic love theme, Kamen composed a film score worthy of the mighty thief prince.

The film opens in Jerusalem, during a crusade led by King Richard I. Robin of Locksley (Kevin Costner) is a prisoner, escaping to return to England—but his homecoming is hardly joyous. The sheriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman) has brutally murdered Lord Locksley, destroyed his estate and despoiled the countryside, hoping to amass enough wealth to bribe English barons to betray their lawful king. The events that follow mostly adhere to the established story and feature the usual ensemble: sheriff’s henchman Guy of Gisborne (Michael Wincott), Little John (Nick Brimble) and Friar Tuck (Michael McShane). But there are several new twists. Robin is accompanied back to England by a new character, Azeem (Morgan Freeman), a moor whose life he has saved, and who has vowed to return the favor. Maid Marian (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) is a feisty, independent female who initially disdains Robin and manages to be an empowered woman until the very end, when she becomes a traditional damsel-in-distress.

INTRADA ISC 458
Barcode: 720258545800
Retail Price: $34.99
Starts Shipping NOW
Note: Due to local restrictions related to the pandemic, shipping time may be slower than usual
For track listing and sound samples, please visit http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12233/.f

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8551

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

No Bryan Adam’s song?  I’ve never heard of a “chubby” case before

🤣

😄 I actually have one cd that came in a “chubby” case.  It was from The Artistry of Akira Ifukube series, a 2 disc set. But yeah, in between a regular jewel case and the old thick double clamshells. 

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

5 minutes still missing (Marriage Plans/Robin's Alive). Maybe next time. Seriously, how long is this score? 😆

It's also still missing that 20 second cue where Robin takes a whizz behind a tree.

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

5 minutes still missing (Marriage Plans/Robin's Alive). Maybe next time. Seriously, how long is this score? 😆

But that'll do. :)

Karol

When Intrada released the 2 disc set, I originally thought that a lot of missing music had been “reconstructed” from existing material, or re-used from other scenes. Sometimes hearing it mixed in the film makes it hard to discern what’s tracked from existing material.

I’m anxious to dive into this. 

See, they could have been more economic  have source music on disc 2, OST and alternates on di-

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Retail Price: $34.99

REDACTED everything about the price hike! How nice of them!

Some of that new music for this release was just tracked material in the film, so I am curious what it will be here.

Also yes it is strange that 'Robin Lives' is still missing. Also not sure what Generic Witch Ambience is there in that list.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Wait, so this is the second expansion this score gets in less than five years, and there's still missing music? :o

Yeah, man. They conducted a most thorough search in london, Los angeles, and other places, and we're unable to locate a few things. Wasn't from a lack of trying, though. 

10 hours ago, Ollie said:

😄 I actually have one cd that came in a “chubby” case.  It was from The Artistry of Akira Ifukube series, a 2 disc set. But yeah, in between a regular jewel case and the old thick double clamshells. 

Anyone have a pic of what a "chubby" case looks like?  I'm afraid to do a Google search for it on my work laptop don't want to lose my job ROTFLMAO

Bought it!  I actually have a small laundry list of Intrada releases I hadn't picked up, but they were all temporarily out of stock (Mummy, Mummy Returns, Conan the Barbarian) or threw a "does not exist" error when I tried to add them to the cart (Roger Rabbit, Howard the Duck), so I just got Robin Hood on its own.

I wonder if its an issue with your specific browser/computer; I just typed "roger rabbit" into their search box and when I clicked "Add To Cart" on the search results, or if I clicked onto the product page and clicked "Add To Cart" from there, both worked.

Roger confirms in the Intrada board thread for this release that by "chubby case" they mean the normal 4CD cases we get all the time, like for example what the Jurassic Park / Lost World set came in, or Harry Potter 1, or Superman: The Movie, etc.

Essentially, people always call those cases "clamshell" cases, but that was always the wrong terminology, and "chubby" was apparently the correct terminology.  Who knew!?

I'm just reporting what Roger said. Here's his exact post

Question though: what's a "chubby" case? Is is just a standard, 4-CD case?

Yes. People call them clam shell, but a clam shell case is something entirely different.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=82917#p82917

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm just reporting what Roger said. Here's his exact post

Question though: what's a "chubby" case? Is is just a standard, 4-CD case?

Yes. People call them clam shell, but a clam shell case is something entirely different.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=82917#p82917

th?id=OIP.IbDm1_S21u7SfyNVPYYIogAAAA%26p

Oh wow, the name actually makes sense for this!

Is there a general Kamen thread? I'm wondering about this new expanded release by the label BAYRES (haven't heard of it before).

Highlander - 2 x CD Complete Score - Limited Edition - Michael Kamen

https://elitesoundtracks.com/products/highlander-2-x-cd-complete-score-limited-edition-michael-kamen

I wonder if the audio presentation is on the level of the cover art, which isn't exactly on the level of Jim Titus...

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is there a general Kamen thread?

Just this one:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12911-remembering-michael-kamen

You can use that, or start our very first general Kamen thread!

I can hear some slight difference in sound but it's not a huge difference. The extra material is nice. I particularly like the expanded opening sequence and the end credits track which has a quite a lovely arrangement of love theme. There is also bit more material in the second half of the score so it feels even more action-packed than before. At 132 minutes long, the score is largely quite entertaining but not altogether consistent in terms of quality and performance (quite typical for Kamen really). You probably don't need all of it but it's nice to have this definitive (sans 5 minutes) version. Liner notes go into quite a lot of detail explaining what's new. I'm happy with the purchase. Might sell my 2 CD copy as it is now redundant.

Karol

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Two HOURS of music?!

I expect all you every cue nutjobs to listen in ONE sitting!

😎

Well, with all the alternates it's 2 hours 51 minutes. 😲

Karol