Michael Kamen's ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES (1991) - New 2020 Intrada edition

Jay

So, do the liner notes clear up, for example, this cue>

Which does not sound anything like Kamen, the composition is much lighter than Kamen would do for a scene like this - there are so many of these swinging sword-fighting cues in Robin Hood, obviously, the grand finale, that make their way into The Pagemaster and even The Matrix to make me argue that there is a heavy 'orchestrational' influence from Don Davis here.

At the same time, I have to disagree with Tom in that this one actually ages well. I listen to anything on the Escape to Sherwood track and I wonder what did I miss with Kamen (never was much of a fan either, he is great at times, extremely banal at others). But the theme and the orchestral dynamics here are just brilliant......

13 hours ago, thestat said:

So, do the liner notes clear up, for example, this cue>

Which does not sound anything like Kamen, the composition is much lighter than Kamen would do for a scene like this - there are so many of these swinging sword-fighting cues in Robin Hood, obviously, the grand finale, that make their way into The Pagemaster and even The Matrix to make me argue that there is a heavy 'orchestrational' influence from Don Davis here.

At the same time, I have to disagree with Tom in that this one actually ages well. I listen to anything on the Escape to Sherwood track and I wonder what did I miss with Kamen (never was much of a fan either, he is great at times, extremely banal at others). But the theme and the orchestral dynamics here are just brilliant......

Interesting thoughts on the orchestrator influences, will have to give them a listen... Davis clearly had a bit of a background impact with his orchestration jobs in the 90s! I don't think that RH:POT has aged badly more, as I said, it doesn't quite gel for me, but as I said, will give it more listens and hopefully develop a greater appreciation. That said, I do still find his Three Musketeers score more engaging that RH:POT.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm completely opposite. But I do think that the extended Robin is quite fragmented.

Yeah, that's a good way of describing it. To be honest, The Three Musketeers isn't really that similar but I kinda pair them as swashbuckling historic scores, but I just really enjoy the mock-baroque stuff in Musketeers. Hopefully that'll get a longer edition at some point.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about getting this even though I'm not overly familiar with this score. What are your highlight tracks from this release that justify a purchase? 

6 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

I'm thinking about getting this even though I'm not overly familiar with this score. What are your highlight tracks from this release that justify a purchase? 

Are you asking about highlight tracks from the score in general, or are you specifically asking for highlight tracks from the expansion(s) that were not on the old OST album?

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you asking about highlight tracks from the score in general, or are you specifically asking for highlight tracks from the expansion(s) that were not on the old OST album?

First of all about highlight tracks in general, but also whether there are enough previously unreleased highlights to justify the purchase of this expansion. The Intrada set looks spectacular and I have a feeling this might be a score for me. I don't want to blind buy though.

Well, you don't have to buy completely blind, as the OST album is streaming free on spotify, youtube, or whatever your streaming service of choice is

https://open.spotify.com/album/3bbdZdZQtCtnWEN5zG7Eyj?si=Gs5j8zFxQAOkoA9d_XAn-Q

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH6jXZl_Q_gFnvfoR9GTS0kIH9Nhpd8yE

https://music.apple.com/us/album/robin-hood-prince-thieves-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1442961663

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00JCEPFF0/

https://tidal.com/browse/album/35353591

If you only want to sample some tracks from the OST album instead of the whole OST album, maybe start with these 3 tracks

1.     Overture And A Prisoner Of The Crusades (From Chains To Freedom) (08:27)
6.     Training - Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves (05:15)
7.     Marian At The Waterfall (05:35)

If you want to sample the expanded album before buying, there are 14 samples on Intrada's website:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12233/.f

They total 21 minutes if you listen to them all.  Gives you a pretty good idea

You might have to type "robin hood prince of thieves" (or its german equivalent) into the search box in your German Spotify, as it might be a different source file than the one on the US spotify

Honestly the sound quality of the 21 minutes of Intrada samples will be better than the OST's sound quality though

OK I just got done listening to the latest Intrada main program

If you have the capabilities and morals to sample entire tracks before investing in a purchase, rather than only going off of the samples Intrada provided on their website, the tracks I'd check out (after checking out those OST tracks I mentioned above) are:

2 The Letter / Robin's Hand / And His Merry Men (11:23)
10 The Band In The Forest (1:33)
11 Little John Fight Pt. 1 & Pt. 2 (3:29)
22 Medieval Dance (0:58)
27 Celt Battle Pt. 1, Pt. 2 & Pt. 2A (5:15)
28 Celt Battle Pt. 3 (1:10)
29 Robin Hood's Fall (Village Destructo Alternate #1) (0:48)
31 Generic Witch Ambience Pt. 1 & Pt. 2 (2:39)
34 Rescue Marian / Robin Fights The Sheriff / Finale (13:27)
35 Finale Pt. 3 & Pt. 4 (2:28)
54 Finale Pt. 4A (Bridge To Song) (1:02)
36 End Credits (3:40)

• 2 weeks later...

Doug on the Intrada forums

Interesting how Kamen's Robin Hood made it to the "Best New Archival Re-Release" category. Great score, but all things considered, I'd argue that Intrada's The Young Lions album is much more deserving of that spot.

Thank you for the really nice thought. I kinda agree, mainly because one of my all-time favorite Friedhofer cues - and I do mean all-time - is the previously unreleased one called Noah Returns. I used to watch this scene over and over again, whether it was on my old VHS tape from television, the DVD or the blu-ray. The scene itself was always so moving, especially as played by an ostracized Montgomery Clift as he laid down in his bunk in the barracks, opened his book and found money from his previous tormentors. Friedhofer literally melts the gentle scene with music in his warmest Americana style, then crowns it at the end with a solo trumpet and... you get the idea. But given that it was an incredible amount of work locating and restoring all of the previously missing music from Robin Hood, culled from hours and hours of DATs supplied by family members of composer Michael Kamen, and given how wonderful those people were/are to work with, I'm pretty honored to have this massive project get some love too. :D
--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=83538#p83538