Any music by JW you wish he had done differently?

karelm

24 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I wouldn't dare deprive DICK Penna of his life's dream.

Hey Bruce, you're not allowed to insult other members here.  Please familiarize yourself with the rules before posting again, thanks

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hey Bruce, you're not allowed to insult other members here.  Please familiarize yourself with the rules before posting again, thanks

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

I???????

Holko and Penna never stop insulting me!.

Read their posts.

I sent you a note about Holko constantly , without provocation , insulting me.

Yeah, these dick jokes can be a pain in the ass. Some of them are very hard to swallow. I don't recommend to pay attention on these small issues. We should concentrate on bigger problems than this.

Also, does anyone know what composer Thomas Wanker has been doing? Maybe he's working hard to impress screenwriter Lulu Wang?

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

He just made a dick joke, which is not against the rules... or is it?

In any case it was very childish.

It was my phone using predictive text.

Most people named Richard use the shortening.

13 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I???????

Read their posts.

If you act like a troll on our forum, it's not entirely unexpected that people are going to respond negatively to your posts

If you call someone a dick out of the blue, that's a completely different thing

How about trying to be friendly and on topic, instead of constantly trying to push everyone's buttons?

12 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It was my phone using predictive text.

Do you expect anyone to believe that?

5 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I???????

Read their posts.

Bruce, when you start acting your age (whatever 'old' is) on this forum, whatever you're perceiving from me will stop. You're easily the most childish poster I've ever seen on this forum.

So, my opinion is invalid and it's okay to personally insult me if you disagree?

I merely agreed with OTHER posters who didn't love all SW scores.

How is that trolling?

On 9/29/2020 at 6:19 PM, Arpy said:

Listening to the complete score is a total drag, it's directionless and maybe that's because of the multiple plot threads that are conflicting, but Rise of Skywalker is a mess and that score manages to have a more distinctive narrative throughline.

Is that trolling?

On 9/29/2020 at 6:59 PM, Arpy said:

I guess I just find TLJ's score boring.

Trolling?

I never said anyone's opinions were invalid, and I never said anyone was allowed to personally insult anyone else

Any specific posts in this particular thread have nothing to do with me observing that you generally post with a trolling nature.  It's not any specific post here.  It's the general tone of the entirely of your posts since you joined.  You are not fitting in.  You are constantly annoying the majority of posters here.  Read the room.  You're either blissfully unaware that you aren't making any friends here, or are well aware of it but enjoy pushing everyone's buttons.  I don't care what the answer is, I just want this to be a place where people can discuss topics in a friendly way without having to wade through pointless troll posts.

12 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

There's no excuse for moments like this!

(not mentioning the mickey mouse moment like 15 seconds before this)

Get the hell outta here, John!

I've come to terms, after years of fighting it, that The Last Jedi is one of my least favorite John Williams scores, ever. All the Escapes and Canto Bights just can't redeem it in the end. The Post roasts this score alive like a porg......And after listening to BFG for the first time these past few days, it kicks Force Awakens' ass, too. What happened on these first two sequel scores?

Trolling?

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

As a one time SW fanatic, i just don't get the appeal of the latter films ( and scores).

After watching those clips, can you blame him if he wasn't particularly " inspired"?

What about this statement is " trolling" or " immature"?

I guess my posts extolling the virtues of E.T. and SUPERMAN are " annoying" and immature. I thought they were affirming and interesting.

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What does he say? 12?

I'm a child prodigy😁

To explain things another way, there's nothing wrong with having the opinion that a certain score doesn't work for you, or that a certain score should not get an expansion. 

There's also nothing wrong with expressing that opinion.

But you really should not be surprised if you join a forum where the majority of the members enjoying discussing score expansions, that if you constantly take every opportunity to point out that you feel different, that some members might get annoyed by constantly seeing these type of posts when they are just trying to have a conversation about the merits of one

And obviously, expansions is just one topic you have posted strong opinions on, I'm just using it as an example.  There are plenty of other topics in which the flow discussion was interrupted by a post from you and that seemed to generally annoyed those that were having the conversation before you chimed in.

People noticing your almost-always contrarian posts and responding in kind is not the problem.  You calling people dicks and posting pictures of Steven Bannon as replies back is the problem.  A conversation where people express different opinions kindly to each other is great!  A conversation that just becomes insults and meme pictures is not.

The "no insult" rule isn't a blanket you can wrap yourself in and feel like you have freedom to post the most contrarian opinions possible and receive no flack for it ever.  It doesn't work that way.  Again, read the room, read people's responses to what you post.  You can either adjust what you post and probably start getting better responses, or continue to be the bull and probably continue to have people annoyed with your very presence here.  The ball is in your court.

Last comment:.

On the BLACK SUNDAY thread- after PRAISING the score,  I said I wish there was a SOUNDTRACK released when the film came out, so JW could have prepared a listener friendly LP.

Check out the response to this reasonable statement. Can you honestly tell me they are justified?

Peace.

The only problem I see in that thread is you calling people "punks" and posting a picture of Steve Bannon for unknown reasons.  I don't see a problem with you expressing your opinion that an LP at the time would have been nice, nor the replies where people indicated that the FSM album flows just fine for them.

Again.  Friendly back and forth = great.  Insults and meme pictures = lame.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Any specific posts in this particular thread have nothing to do with me observing that you generally post with a trolling nature. 

It's also the sheer amount which is ludicrous. I blocked him a long time ago but his name still is popping up everywhere.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:04 PM, Nick Parker said:

There's no excuse for moments like this!

(not mentioning the mickey mouse moment like 15 seconds before this)

Get the hell outta here, John!

I've come to terms, after years of fighting it, that The Last Jedi is one of my least favorite John Williams scores, ever. All the Escapes and Canto Bights just can't redeem it in the end. The Post roasts this score alive like a porg......And after listening to BFG for the first time these past few days, it kicks Force Awakens' ass, too. What happened on these first two sequel scores?

I personally don’t see (hear) the problem you have with TLJ, but I wonder if, to the extent the Mickey mousing exists, whether it’s worse in TLJ because JW actually had more of a finished product to work to, something that wasn’t constantly being re-edited à la JJ Abrams.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, Jay said:

The only problem I see in that thread is you calling people "punks" and posting a picture of Steve Bannon for unknown reasons.  I don't see a problem with you expressing your opinion that an LP at the time would have been nice, nor the replies where people indicated that the FSM album flows just fine for them.

Again.  Friendly back and forth = great.  Insults and meme pictures = lame.

" We've already got one Thor to handle. We don't need another reconceptualization FANATIC ( emphasis mine)...."

" friendly back and forth"?

" We've already got one Thor to handle. We don't need another reconceptualization FANATIC ( emphasis mine)"

" friendly back and forth"?

Yea, that's harmless sounding to me - and especially more harmless than things you have said, such as calling another poster a dick.

You're basically saying others should not be allowed to call you a fanatic, yet you should be allowed to call someone a dick.  It doesn't work that way.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're basically saying others should not be allowed to call you a fanatic, yet you should be allowed to call someone a dick.  It doesn't work that way.

No. I'm saying his comments were insulting and a gross overreaction to a pretty innocuous statement. I answered in kind.

You don't think his comments were insulting and are within the bounds of legitimate discussion.

It is a subjective decision on your part. As moderator, that is your call.

No. I'm saying his comments were insulting and I answered in kind.

You don't think his comments were insulting and within the bounds of legitimate discussion.

It is a subjective decision on your part. As moderator, that is your call.

Neither one of you were banned for anything you said and we've all moved past this, so I don't know why you're dredging it all up again.

All I'm saying is that everyone should feel welcome here to express their opinions on any subject, and no one should belittle anyone else for having any opinion.  However, one should expect to receive some pushback if one constantly interrupts conversations to post a contrary opinion over and over again.  And if someone steps out of line, you have the power to ignore it, respond on the same level, or kick it up a notch.  A bunch of back and forth kicking things up notches is something nobody wants, and I get annoyed by having to step in to moderate. 

Everyone should just be nice and respectful to each other, and we won't have any issues!

On 10/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, bruce marshall said:

Trolling?

What about this statement is " trolling" or " immature"?

I guess my posts extolling the virtues of E.T. and SUPERMAN are " annoying" and immature. I thought they were affirming and interesting.

I'm a child prodigy😁

Stop ruining my JW music thread with stupid dick jokes and juvenile humor please.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyway, I'm not a fan of TLJ's Lesson One. It starts rather nicely with the Force theme, but then comes the tumultuous strings, which reminded me of generic trailer music.

I'm not sure I'd call the tumultuous part "generic" but I strongly agree with you otherwise that it's much too heavy. Everything up to 1:12 is superb and atmospheric, and then all hell kind of breaks loose. One of quite a few spots in TLJ that I wish Williams had approached in a subtler way.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Let's get back on topic.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of TLJ's Lesson One. It starts rather nicely with the Force theme, but then comes the tumultuous strings, which reminded me of generic trailer music.

10 hours ago, Falstaft said:

I'm not sure I'd call the tumultuous part "generic" but I strongly agree with you otherwise that it's much too heavy. Everything up to 1:12 is superb and atmospheric, and then all hell kind of breaks loose. One of quite a few spots in TLJ that I wish Williams had approached in a subtler way.

One of the challenges I think JW had with the younger directors of sequel trilogy is they might have asked for several different versions of the cue depending on edits and screenings and then sliced and diced or did needle drops when needed.  It's sort of the difference between working from a locked film and being able to score seeing the whole film in place versus given scenes to score up throughout the writing process and then realizing how badly the whole score worked in its entirety when combined.  Like it lacks an ebb and flow of him at his best when the first act might have had very little score, act 2 introduced and added elements but not till act 3 did the full score become magical.  Then we see the score as a setup, build, and knock out delivery.  It isn't just about the amount of music because I think ANH and ESB followed this approach too, they have a dramatic and cinematic structure that would not be possible if you only get a scene to score at a time and later find out the scene was changed or moved to later in the film, etc.