Best JW Cello + Piano Moments

GRIGA01

I'm not sure what you mean with 'moments' -- as in full pieces or scores written primarily for those instruments, individual tracks, or solo moments within tracks?

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm not sure what you mean with 'moments' -- as in full pieces or scores written primarily for those instruments, individual tracks, or solo moments within tracks?

All of it basically, as long as its solely piano and solo cello. Can be from a moment i na cue, a full cue or a concert work.

I see. Well, there are a thousand things to choose from, and I'm terrible at memorizing moments this way (I love 'moments', but I always experience them as they appear in the listening experience). So I need to think a bit.

True, I guess.

I'll certainly second the "Elegy" above - I wasn't aware that someone had recorded the original piano and cello version for the funeral; I've only ever had the orchestral blow-up. One of my favourite JW concert pieces, btw.

Also: "A Young Person's Guide to the Cello", "Pete's Piano Rag" from PETE & TILLIE, the redux suites from MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA....I can't think of much else. Of course, the challenge would be easier if you opened up to compositions where the piano or cello are prominent solo instruments, but where there is also an orchestral backdrop or similar.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

What is " Elegy" from?

Williams expanded on a theme from Seven Years in Tibet in the "Regaining a Son" cue and wrote the elegy for piano and orchestra for the funeral of a friend's two children. He later orchestrated it, and it was included on the YoYo-Ma CD that contains Williams' Cello Concerto.

Williams describes the origins of the piece here:
https://www.laphil.com/musicdb/pieces/1615/elegy-for-cello-and-orchestra