King Mark

What free antivirus do you use?

I've just had a major problem with the latest update of Avast Free. Caused  a memory leak and RAM memory usage on my PC would go from 50% to 100% within a few hours and freeze. It also used 25% of my CPU by itself.

Reverted to Windows Security for now (memory usage on my PC now stable at 29% and CPU at 0% with no programs open).

I've had issues with AVG in the past  so I dunno

Is windows security ok to keep?

Lately I've only had Windows Security for a while - a key trick is to install a blocker extension like ublock origin, catch the problems on the other end.

Antivirus programs are problematic by nature since they have to get access to everything in the system, so they are a potential threat themselves if corrupted. As far as I understand the independent experts, Windows security has made great advances so it should be enough to protect against the usual threats, besides using common sense.  So in your shoes I would rely on Windows security on a Windows PC. Since I am using a Mac I have no first hand experience with Antivirus from the last 8 years. 

I use whatever security comes with Windows 10. Haven't used any additional software for probably a decade, and the last time I had a virus was in 2005 when I downloaded something I knew would be dodgy.

I use a Mac and don’t download programmes outside the AppStore*

*Unless they’re reputable like Photo Mechanic etc. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I imagine KM's PC to be ancient and in dire need of a defrag. 

no I bought it last year

8gb ram, 128gb ssd