Restored Isolated Score: Minority Report

Chewy

25 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The Crime / Creating The Red Balls

The movie version starts very differently with deep drums beats (that opening is presented in the Additional Music section of the LLL release), here we see how JW intended the movie to start. The cue fits pretty much, I made small adjustments to the picture for better sync with the music.

Great work, Chewy.

I haven't seen the whole movie since it was released... but what was the frickin' point of making that wooden ball and burning the name of the perpetrator onto it? Wouldn't Anderton and his team lose valuable seconds because of that?

There's no good real-life reason, but it looks cool on film and gives something tangible Anderton can pick up and hide from his coworkers later

This is supposedly from a draft script but I remember something like this from the movie too: "The information we need is embedded in the grain of wood. And since each piece is unique, the shape and grain is impossible to duplicate."

So it's like a defense against possible forgery?

About "Images of Sean", if I'm not mistaken, according to Jason's spreadsheet the first two minutes of the cue are actually two alternative versions that score the same thing (Anderton watching Sean's hologram), and therefore, the beginning of the scene should not have any music. Am I remembering it correctly?

1M9 Image Of Sean is a cue of approx 2:45ish length that was Williams' original take on the scene.

Later, a new Insert was written and recorded - 1M9R Image of Sean (Revised) - that was meant to replace the opening minute-ish with new material.  In the film, Spielberg didn't use either version and had that part of the scene play with no score at all

For the OST album, Williams started the OST track "Sean and Laura" with the 1M9R revised opening, then crossfaded into the start of the original 1M9 cue, rather then the point it was intended to segue into (and then eventually the track crossfades into 4M5 The Swimming Pool Scene, before 1M9 is over).

On the recording session leak, the new opening is properly edited into the rest of the original cue, as intended by Williams.  This left the OST as the only place to hear his original opening anywhere.

For the LLL album, Mike followed suit with what Williams did for the OST, and started the track "Images of Sean" with the entire 1M9R Image Of Sean (Revised) opening, followed by the entire 1M9 Image Of Sean cue (in his version the two aren't overlapped like the OST, so you can finally hear the full clean ending of the insert and the full clean opening of the original cue).  

I haven't watched the score restore videos yet, but basically you'd have to repeat about a minute of footage back to back if you are syncing up to the exact LLL track.  Either opening would start at the same point, I think on the first shot of Sean

The other option would be to edit the revised opening out of the track and make a video for that, then edit the opening minute of the original version out and properly segue the insert into the rest and make a second video, but that's more work

Chewy, just watched the videos, they are great!  For The Crime, I think I like the revised version of the music better (Spielberg was right to ask for a revision); Are you planning on doing videos for the alternates later?

I also like how The Crime and Creating The Red Balls are combined, and kinda wish they were combined on the LLL album too.  DItto for the 2 parts of Pre-Crime To The Rescue

Images of Sean is already covered, so you know the music you have playing under Anderton in his apartment before he starts the Sean video wasn't intended

I love the Presenting The Pre Cogs music, so this was great to see, as was Agatha Spring Forward, The Containment Center, and Annie Lively!

Sucpicion / Witwer Snooping was cool too because I had never tried to sync that before, I think Spielberg probably made the right call to leave it unscored

Nice find on that script page indicating there was likely a deleted scene in between when the guy in the room talks to Anderton and when he gets in the elevator, that finally explains Schubert Collage!

The Elevator Confrontation and Anderton On The Run are good, and man I love that instance of the Pre-Crime theme in Don't Run John when Spielberg cuts to an overhead shot showing Anderton surrounded

I hadn't realized how much footage was cut from the apartment chase and car factory sequence after Williams scored it, pretty wild.

Keep up the good work!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Are you planning on doing videos for the alternates later?

Yes, there will be a bonus section with all the alternates from the LLL release (except for The Collage).

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Images of Sean is already covered, so you know the music you have playing under Anderton in his apartment before he starts the Sean video wasn't intended

Thanks for the info, I will have to fix that cue even if I thought it worked great haha!

EDIT: fixed!

Awesome videos, @Chewy. And ditto on the discovery of the deleted scene from the script.

Also, what is it with Spielberg and deleted scenes? I think that each of his films must have an assortment of those, but for some reason only cut footage from Jaws, Close Encounters, 1941, E.T., Hook, and The Lost World was allowed to be released (and not all of them for E.T., Hook, and The Lost World)

I always suspected The Collage belonged to a deleted scene so I'm glad I checked the shooting script. Shame that some other Spielberg films never had script leaks so we can't always check these things (A.I. springs to mind). 

The deleted scene situation is indeed very inconsistent and frustrating. Munich supposedly had some pretty key scenes removed as well, none released. Plus a big VFX sequence in WOTW that never got released, presumably because they ran out of time to finish it.

I desperately want to watch these videos but I still haven't had the chance to listen to the LLL yet! But it looks like you've done a great job @Chewy. Can't wait to get in on the isolated score action myself, as soon as you finish Minority Report ;)

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I always suspected The Collage belonged to a deleted scene so I'm glad I checked the shooting script.

Out of curiosity, were you able to find a scene where Witwer addresses a large gathering of Anderton's colleagues?

On 9/25/2020 at 7:46 PM, Holko said:

This is supposedly from a draft script but I remember something like this from the movie too: "The information we need is embedded in the grain of wood. And since each piece is unique, the shape and grain is impossible to duplicate."

So it's like a defense against possible forgery?

Yes, I recall that is kind of a secure data storage of the crime to be. A way to avoid that someone fake some information of a made up crime. And yes, also it looks cool.

15 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Out of curiosity, were you able to find a scene where Witwer addresses a large gathering of Anderton's colleagues?

This?

Spoiler

INT.  BRIEFING ROOM - DAY

Witwer addresses the Precrime crew.  Behind him is the frozen
  video image of Anderton shooting Leo Crow.  Evanna stares up
  at it in disbelief.

WITWER
            You may consider him a friend.

He walks up the line now, looking into the eyes of each and
  every one of them.

WITWER
            But we know that John Anderton is
            going to kill Leo Crow this Friday
            at three-o-six p.m., unless we stop
            him.

He looks into Fletcher's eyes, moves on...

WITWER
            Don't think for a minute that if
            the situation was reversed he
            wouldn't go after you.  He would be
            a cop doing his job, as I'm doing
            mine.

He stops at Evanna and looks her in the eye now.

WITWER
            So if you're not ready and willing
            to put the halo on him, leave now.

A few looks around the room, but nobody gets up.  Not even
  Fletcher.  Witwer stares another moment at Evanna, smiles,
  offers her a piece of gum...

EVANNA
            No, thank you.

He sticks it in his own mouth, then turns to the officer
  beside her.

WITWER
            You can go.

OFFICER
            Excuse me?

WITWER
            Go.  You're dismissed.
                (points to another)
            You, too.
                (another)
            And you.

Everybody watches as the men Witwer dismissed walk out.

FLETCHER
            Sir, the team's gonna be light
            without those men.

WITWER
            Yes, I know.

And now the Pressure Door opens and FOUR LARGE MEN in dark
  suits enter the room.  Knott smiles at the sight of them.

WITWER
            These gentlemen are Federal Agents
            Jucket, Paymen, Price and Foley.
            Like you, I feel more comfortable
            with people I trust.

14 hours ago, crumbs said:

This?

Hide contents

INT.  BRIEFING ROOM - DAY

Witwer addresses the Precrime crew.  Behind him is the frozen
  video image of Anderton shooting Leo Crow.  Evanna stares up
  at it in disbelief.

WITWER
            You may consider him a friend.

He walks up the line now, looking into the eyes of each and
  every one of them.

WITWER
            But we know that John Anderton is
            going to kill Leo Crow this Friday
            at three-o-six p.m., unless we stop
            him.

He looks into Fletcher's eyes, moves on...

WITWER
            Don't think for a minute that if
            the situation was reversed he
            wouldn't go after you.  He would be
            a cop doing his job, as I'm doing
            mine.

He stops at Evanna and looks her in the eye now.

WITWER
            So if you're not ready and willing
            to put the halo on him, leave now.

A few looks around the room, but nobody gets up.  Not even
  Fletcher.  Witwer stares another moment at Evanna, smiles,
  offers her a piece of gum...

EVANNA
            No, thank you.

He sticks it in his own mouth, then turns to the officer
  beside her.

WITWER
            You can go.

OFFICER
            Excuse me?

WITWER
            Go.  You're dismissed.
                (points to another)
            You, too.
                (another)
            And you.

Everybody watches as the men Witwer dismissed walk out.

FLETCHER
            Sir, the team's gonna be light
            without those men.

WITWER
            Yes, I know.

And now the Pressure Door opens and FOUR LARGE MEN in dark
  suits enter the room.  Knott smiles at the sight of them.

WITWER
            These gentlemen are Federal Agents
            Jucket, Paymen, Price and Foley.
            Like you, I feel more comfortable
            with people I trust.

Yep! This seems to correspond exactly with a photo included in the LLL liner notes

• 4 weeks later...

@Chewy, I'm finally getting around to watching these, and this is phenomenal work. Thank you for these! I like to think they give a whole new perspective on JW's approach to scoring. Can't wait to see more!

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing these videos, I wonder why MM split/joined the following cues the way he did:

• Presenting the Pre-Cogs
  • Agatha and The Containment Center
  • First Vision of Anne Lively

Although in the videos it is quite obvious that these cues naturally belong together in the following way:

• Presenting the Pre-Cogs and Agatha
  • The Containment Center and First Vision of Anne Lively

Great work by the way @Chewy!

• 1 month later...

Amazing work!

I must confess , I don't think it's a particularly good film. Visually, it's way to stylized and the script is convoluted and turns a philosophical film into a chase flic.

I'm also surprised that fans here went for an expanded version of the score. So much is atmosphere and suspense.

I have the ost and only program thirty two minures.

Anyway, thanks for these iso scores! Fun to watch and listen

• 1 year later...