Pirate music suggestions

blondheim

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Really? Is it true that Zimmer didn't write Up is Down, which is one of the very best cues in the At World's End OST? 

You have no idea how disappointing this is to me :( 

Once again, the lack of actual in depth information is frustrating, since it's honestly up in the air over how much of it actually can be attributed to a specific composer (and thus, easy fuel for Zimmer bashing).

Henry Jackman is credited on most renditions of Up is Down (including the two suites that are known to exist for it) on AWE. However, despite a decent presence on DMTNT, his name is nowhere to be seen on that cue list. Combined with both Badelt's and Neely's own themes not being present in the film, the main thing we can gather from this is that HJ is only responsible for very specific arrangements of the theme. Which ones, you probably should actually visit the HZ website for whatever speculation the fans have (plus Hybrid explaining how this business normally works for those who keep ignoring my reports).

You do also have to remember that regardless of this whole thing, Jackman never got to compose anything that actually matches UiD on any level, which serves to further remind us that this whole "who wrote what" business is pretty meaningless if it all sounds like Zimmer anyway.

55 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

You do also have to remember that regardless of this whole thing, Jackman never got to compose anything that actually matches UiD on any level, which serves to further remind us that this whole "who wrote what" business is pretty meaningless if it all sounds like Zimmer anyway

You're right. If At World's End was written by a team, it is by far the best thing in the careers of people like Jackman, Zanelli, Balfe and the others. It's amazing that the music they ghost-wrote for the Pirates movies is way better than anything they were officially credited for. 

Of course, they were dealing with material Zimmer wrote. So yeah, in the end it really doesn't matter who wrote which cue because Zimmer was actually the man in charge.

Does it sound like Henry Jackman also? I haven't heard enough from him to say, but all the efforts I've listened to from HJ that try to be more traditional sounding doesn't quite fit with what AWE presents. Perhaps it qualifies as a true collaboration, with both of these composers each putting themselves into it.

That, or this was presumably going to be the last major MV style score Zimmer was going to make in his career, so he decided to pull all the stops for it.

It's hysterical to me that the best composition Henry Jackman ever wrote was as a ghostwriter for a movie that doesn't credit him as the main composer.

Either he is very talented but his directors and producers don't know how to use his talented... Or the piece is just great because he was working with first-rate material by Zimmer and collaborating with him.

The same goes to Lorne Balfe and the others: the best thing they "wrote" (and I say that in a very loose sense of the word) was when working with Zimmer material.

The main theme of Pirates 3 is, for once, a classic open-fifth adventure tune, not Zimmer's usual teutonic c's. Which is the main reason everyone likes it so much. Though i doubt that happened by accident.