Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

tpigeon

I know that there aren't too many fans of Media Ventures here, but I just purchased this score yesterday and I have not been able to stop listening to it. This is the most fun I've had experiencing a score in a very long time. Harry Gregson-Williams has matured a lot as a composer I think, because his score is absolutely breathtaking from beginning to end, with thematic development and wonderful orchestrations. I honestly think this is a step beyond Cutthroat Island in the genre; this music is so melodic and at times very moving that I can't help but want to listen over and over again. Gregson-Williams has also done a superb job with electronics, which this score has just the right amount of, not too much not too little. And he blends it with the orchestra so well too. what I love about this score so much is that it has that touch of the modern composer to it, yet it is still one of those old-fashioned swashbuckling adventure score, except with more emotion. I recommend that many of you pick up this score sometime, it's a real treat.

Ted

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, yes!! Go buy it! ROTFLMAO

It's a phenomenal score and one that I accidentally left out of my previous "best of" post.

I definitely think it's one of the best swashbuckler scores since the Korngold days.

You won't be disappointed, trust me. Go get it immediately.

Director - dropping in again at the perfect time.

I also purchased this score and have listened to it about four times. Although I have very high opinions about this score and I also highly recommend it, I wouldn't say it is above CutThroat Island in any way.

CutThroat Island is, from start to finish, grand and pure orchestral bombast, which to some people, may be too much. For me, however, this is how I like my pirate/action/adventure scores. To me, CutThroat Island is more professional, in that it is performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, whereas Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is performed by some other orchestra in London (the liner notes fail to mention the orchestra involved but mention the conductor, the location of the recording, and the choir used). On Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, the orchestra, compared with CutThroat Island, sounds fake. Some of the trumpet and horn melodies have sound that seems forced and almost muffled (but still remain clear). CutThroat Island harks back to the grand old days of orchestral scores, and for this reason, CutThroat Island is better. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is more modern in its execution, with added electronic instruments in the score. These instruments in no way fully detract from the score, but I am one who prefers full orchestral magic, without the aid of "fake" sounds.

Now don't get me wrong, in no way is Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas a bad score. Harry Gregson-Williams did a fantastic job with this score. His composition is far ahead of any of his other works, and also far ahead of his work with John Powell. The themes in Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas fit right in with other pirate themes, and the vigor in the score is uplifting. However, I think CutThroat Island has ten times more spirit and vigor, but Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas pulls off a great show in my book.

My opinion, of course, is simply based upon my own preferences in music. However, if you enjoy pirate scores or even just action/adventure scores, I highly recommend giving Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas a listen. If you liked CutThroat Island, you will most likely highly enjoy this score. The score is both exciting and fun, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite in the genre. A tremendous amount of credit is owed to Harry Gregson-Williams for his outstanding performance with this score.

~Harry

For me the jury is still out on Gregson-Williams. Chicken Run was fun score that paid homage to Bernstein's The Great Escape but Shrek was sort of a step backwards for him and John Powell. It came across sounding too MV-ish plus one of themes sounded like a direct lift from Trevor Rabin's Deep Blue Sea.

Plus everytime I think of Sinbad, Bernard Herrmann & Ray Harryhausen come to mind. Although I will say the animation looks nice for this film.

So its good huh, i actually had a bad image of this film since i heard hook playing in the trailer i thought they were theives even after i came here and inquired about it and found it to be a normal thing to do.

So what's the movie like though? Any good? It's opening here next week (school holidays have started :wave: ) and I'm a fan of animated features so I'll probably end up seeing it. I'm certainly excited about hearing the score now too :). Now the only thing to worry about is going to a session where we won't be interrupted by ratbag kids running up and down the cinema aisles, hollering and chewing on chair legs and such :angry:

CYPHER

Shrek was sort of a step backwards for him and John Powell. It came across sounding too MV-ish plus one of themes sounded like a direct lift from Trevor Rabin's Deep Blue Sea.

That theme was a rip off of Rabin's Deep blue Sea theme, but I don't think Shrek was a bad score at all. I actually think it's a great score that fits the rhythms of the film to perfection, in the instrumentation and style of the music. Even the music in the Dragon scene, though may not be original, was used to perfection. Every time I watch that scene, it sends chills down my spine. It is a perfect example of music and images coming together perfectly to deliver a magical moment on screen. I know a lot of people don't like these guys too much, but I will defend the to the last simply because they have turned out as many good scores as they have bad, I think at least.

Ted, listening to Chicken Run right now

I love the score to Shrek as well. It contains bold, beautiful, and thrilling music, and yeah, I noticed the rip-off from Deep Blue Sea, but that doesn't take away the enjoyment for me. I am definitely going to give Sinbad a listen, so thanks to Teds and the others who raved about it!

Ray Barnsbury-who will probably see the movie to decide about the score

I like Gregson-Williams work actually. This guy has been putting out good stuff ever since Chicken Run. He has alot of talent that is sorely lacking at Media Ventures.

I don't know his work too well, but I like what I've heard so far.

Shrek is not a great score, but it does have a couple of highlights/ Despite it's unoriginality- I do like 'Fairytale', and I absolutely love 'Uninvited Guests'- I love how they insert the 3 Blind Mice and Snow White music.

And although I don't like the fact that they copied note for note the Deep Blue Sea theme- that needs to be heard more. It's really a fantastic theme, gone to waste on the movie, and the only piece by Rabin I can stand to listen to.

He has good, if terribly unoriginal score for The Man in the Iron Mask, which is a classic example of Media Ventures at work.

I have somewhere his Spy Game, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Phone Booth, but havn't listened to them yet.

OK so now that Sinbad finally has been released in the States and elsewhere, has anyone seen it? More importantly can they be bothered to post an opinion of the film's worth or merit? C'mon, I know you're out there! ;)

CYPHER

OK so now that Sinbad finally has been released in the States and elsewhere, has anyone seen it? More importantly can they be bothered to post an opinion of the film's worth or merit? C'mon, I know you're out there!  ;)  

CYPHER

I saw the film a couple of days ago, Cypher. And it is a mixed bag. From an action standpoint, it's really good. There is one good action scene after another in this movie, but from a dramatic standpoint the movie strives for way too much and is too heavy for its own good. The ending is a bit of a cop-out too. But this film does edge on greatness during some of the action scenes... it's a shame the rest of the movie didn't hold up the same way.

Ted

Thanks Ted. I generally end up seeing most Disney and DreamWorks animated movies at the cinemas but I don't know if I'll get around to seeing this one on the big screen (which is absolutely the best place to watch these kinds of films). My two main animation-movie buddies are out of town at the moment and after my Hulk experience was hijacked by thousands of little kiddies (same thing happened when I saw Treasure Planet) I'm afraid to step foot into a theatre showing anything that a kid might be tempted to watch :spiny: .

CYPHER

• 3 weeks later...

Well I caught the very last night-time session of this film yesterday. Not a hyperactive brat in sight! WHEW! ;) And as a result I actually quite enjoyed it. That's not to say that this is necessarily a 'good' film because as many are wont to say, it is "incredibly flawed in parts" ;). Unlike you Ted I wasn't too impressed by the action sequences (although the scene with the Roc was great). I preferred the often unsuccessful attempts to flesh out Sinbad's character, the marvellous visuals of Tartarus and whenever Michelle Pfeiffer's Eris was on screen to strut her silky, sinister stuff :mrgreen: .

I can see why this film flopped at the box office. It really doesn't have the right money-making elements. I found it lacked the excitement and the humour of more kiddie-oriented fare (qualities which most Disney animated films have in spades) and the more mature, adult oriented aspects were not very satisfying either. A lot of attention was devoted to Sinbad's character, contemplating such tried but true issues of whether one has a 'true nature' that can ever be changed, whether the way others choose to see you matters more than the way you choose to see yourself etc. I really appreciated the film-makers efforts in this area and yet I didn't think they were terribly effective. Much of the character development is quite boring and sometimes a little too complex for its own good as well.

This film sums up many of the problems faced by DreamWork's animation department and Katzenburg's approach to these types of films. When the company was first formed I relished Katzenburg's promise that he would make big-budget animation films that told stories for adult audiences. DreamWorks has never lived up to this claim because it is still tethered to so many of the stifling conventions of the American animated film. I thought Prince of Egypt had a lot of emotional power and yet it was full of occasionally ridiculous and childish songs! And Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron was one of the more intellectually moribund and down-right uninspiring animated films of recent years. I guess it's hard to try and break the mould especially considering the power of already-established expectations about what an animated film should be like. Add to this the fact that movie-making is often largely about money-making as well, and one frequently has to compromise one's vision in order to accrue a profit.

CYPHER

PS - oh yeah, and the score was nice too :).

The film isn't even in my local theater. Which to me is just a wee bit pathetic. :mrgreen:

Justin -Who thought Treasure Planet put way to much pressure on making the movie funny, rather than story...plot...

Yeah, but I love the score of Treasure Planet.

As do I. I think I like the score to Sinbad a little bit more tohugh. It's ahrd to tell since they are both great scores. I love the Irish influence on Treasure Planet and the little jig peice at the end. The score displays Howard's talent as a film composer, knowing how and where to use music (much like Williams). He has beautiful orchestrations in every score he composes and he knows how to write a beautiful theme, employing all the elements of the orchestra. Can't wait to hear his score for Peter Pan and Hidalgo. by the way, has anyone seen the trailer for Hidalgo? I think it uses original music, and its extremely good, as per usual. Can anybody confirm this?

Ted

Well, I got Sinbad a couple weeks ago, and I'm in complete agreement with Ted, Director, etc. It's a wonderful score that lends itself to many repeated listenings. Plus, the main theme is so much fun to play on my horn. I'm glad this thread brought my attention to it!

Ray Barnsbury

That is the score that I liked to hear for 'Pirates', but instead I get a MV demo CD :music:

Just go buy Tomb Raider and imagine the music is to Pirates. 8O

Justin -Who can't believe he has to wait a whole month for Silvestri's score....forcing him to watch the movie. :music:

Just go buy Tomb Raider and imagine the music is to Pirates. ;)

Justin -Who can't believe he has to wait a whole month for Silvestri's score....forcing him to watch the movie. :music:

8O I know what you mean, man, I know...

Don't get your hopes up to much. Saw this last night. It's not a very memorable score.

Neil

Don't get your hopes up to much. Saw this last night. It's not a very memorable score.

Sorry Neil, but I completly disagree. The theme is one of Silvestri's best. I'm still humming it. I found the music very much out of the ordinary for Silvestri. I was thinking something more like TMR. But the theme is much more like Judge Dredd. Don't listen to Neil until you've seen the film. :eek:

Justin -Ready to hear it on CD. ;)

Oh please Justin, it's The Mummy Returns with a techno beat. There is nothing distinctive about this score....much like the movie.

Neil

The Mummy Returns with a techno beat could be interesting. The similarities don't surprise me, since Silvestri only had about two weeks to come up with a score. Still, anything's better than Media Ventures' Pirates of the Caribbean!

I wonder if Sinbad was temp-tracked with The Mummy Returns....