WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

HOLY COW!!! This is so weird because I watched the film on 4K Blu-Ray a few days ago; I was amazed at the remastered picture and especially the sound.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Oh my, GOD! I knew this was coming! Pretty surprised Intrada did it, but that's great news!

The cover though looks very very similar to the OST cover.

The cover is similar because it is simply a remastered reissue of the soundtrack album...

I'm joking. Seriously, though, I am really excited to see more information!

Intrada doesn't reveal track lists early; The track lists and samples go up the same time you can order the release from their website, which is a random time between 5pm PST and 8pm PST on Monday evening

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I really wonder if this is gonna be a 2-CD set. When should we except the tracklist/samples to be available?

I can't be anything less. The score itself will take a whole single disc at least. And there will be additional material. 

Karol

Fantastic news!  My ears must've been burning when I commented on the streak of JW/SS releases since 2014 yesterday! :) Can't wait to hear samples!  Thank you Intrada!!!!  Screw you, COVID!!!!  LOL

Already made my space for it! :)

11.jpg

So is the artwork in the first post final?  The first pic is identical to the OST cover.

Word to the wise, if you take out the OST liner notes take note on how you unfold it, it's like a damn origami LOL

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Really don't care about this, but very happy for those who do.

You should reconsider. The Maestro's score is very tense and packs a punch in the horror/action sequences.

4 hours ago, Chewy said:

I really wonder if this is gonna be a 2-CD set. When should we except the tracklist/samples to be available?

I suspect the entire score is over an hour and a half of music, so it may very well take up two CDs.

I don't doubt that his score was effective for a second. I just found the movie rather unmemorable and don't really listen to these kind of scores. The only things I remember about it are Morgan Freeman's great voice-overs and a choir when Rachel walked away from her dad or something.

Interesting! This one's not a 100% no-brainer purchase for me, since I don't listen to the OST that much. I'll have to take a listen to the samples and hopefully watch the film again to get a sense for whether it'll be a sensible addition to my collection, especially in these financially tricky times. But in any case, that's awesome that it's getting this release!

41 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

EDIT:  Looking at other JW Intrada releases, they have "music from the motion picture" on Jaws I & II and The River, but Monsignor has "Expanded original motion picture soundtrack".  I must have consistency people!  ROTFLMAO

FYI this wording is usually dictated by the studio or original album label. It's often not up to our dear specialty labels.

Yavar

Again, seeing that the Maestro's score is getting the expanded, remastered and definitive treatment and is releasing next week is so weird, seeing as I watched the film on 4K Blu-Ray a few days ago. Weird how timing works out. Regardless, I am excited! The timing actually makes sense for two reasons: this year marks the 15th anniversary of the film, and the time of year pertaining to Halloween (War of the Worlds makes for a great read and viewing on Halloween, at least for me).

Of course he knows, MM and he are besties!  😂

Oh to be a fly on the wall for those insider phone calls / Zoom meetings / etc...  Zoom meetings can be recorded, you know?  I’m sure a lot of us would like to watch some BTS nuggets.

Yikes!

Jay and I had a discussion about this possibility a short while ago.

I was skeptical because didn't think there was much unreleased material.

Even after consulting the cue list.

I know this won't happen but I wish this release was the ost plus BONUS tracks on Or, the complete score  on ONE CD.

No chance of that happening😒

35 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Again, seeing that the Maestro's score is getting the expanded, remastered and definitive treatment and is releasing next week is so weird, seeing as I watched the film on 4K Blu-Ray a few days ago. Weird how timing works out. Regardless, I am excited! The timing actually makes sense for two reasons: this year marks the 15th anniversary of the film, and the time of year pertaining to Halloween (War of the Worlds makes for a great read and viewing on Halloween, at least for me).

What's your opinion of the FILM?

20 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

What's your opinion of the FILM?

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Steven Spielberg's adaptation is a thrilling and chilling contemporary update that is faithful to the spirit of H.G. Well's work (it also does not hurt that the opening and closing narration are nearly verbatim from the novel, and the portrayal of the tripods and the red weed are taken directly from the novel). Not to mention the amazing special effects by Industrial Light & Magic and Stan Winston.

I cannot wait to get this so I can experience the chilling and tense atmosphere of the Maestro's entire score.

The film is great, to sum it up. I remember seeing it when it came out in theaters back in 2005. The Intersection Scene was just one of the chilling moments in the film that left an impact, both film and score.

In my opinion, this is JW's most consistently pessimistic and percussive score.  I delight.  Instabuy.  I wish the film lived up to the score.  irritating screeching girl.  A satisfactory entry to the Spielberg/Williams monster cycle with a very strong 1st and 2nd act but terribly weak ending.

57 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Jay and I had a discussion about this possibility a short while ago.

I was skeptical because didn't think there was much unreleased material.

Even after consulting the cue list.

I don't know who you are referring to here but it's certainly not me!

Hasn't the WOTW recordings leaked a couple of years back, no?  

I see a couple of alternate, some suites, a lot of variations from "Reunion in Boston".  All in all, around 150min of music.