WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think this is his 37th Williams score expansion/premiere in the past 15 years!

1. 1962 Bachelor Flat (Intrada 2008)
  2. 1966 How To Steal A Million (Intrada 2008)
  3. 1969 Goodbye, Mr. Chips (FSM 2006)

I have all except the three above.  I know that GMrC goes for a lot of $$ on the second-hand market, are the others worth getting and are they a decent price?

EDIT:  Just checked discogs, dang the 2 disc set is not cheap either ugh

You know, I never noticed before that he's done more 70s, 90s, and 00s Williams scores than 80s Williams scores!

I was just thinking the same thing earlier today looking over my JW master spreadsheet.  Just 4 80s releases expanded by MM so far, granted SW & Indy accounts for a good chunk of the ones he hasn't worked on yet (AFAWK!).  

Here's the remaining 80s non-expanded, non SW or Indy scores, not exactly my most desired releases however I would still enjoy C&C releases for all of these at some point!

Spacecamp

Witches of Eastwick

The Accidental Tourist

Born on the 4th of July

Always

30 minutes ago, The Soundtrack Organizer said:

Can someone release this on YouTube?

if you were confused I meant uploading the soundtrack on YouTube because some Soundtracks are known to be out of “Units”

This was only just released for a decent price, why not pick it up yourself?

Ordered. Haven't seen the film since 2005, but definitely admired the score as part of JW's dark sci-fi run of the period. Didn't love the OST CD as much as I'd wanted to, so hoping as with MM's expanded MR release for a proper experience of the music in its full range of colours and dynamics.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think this is his 37th Williams score expansion/premiere in the past 15 years!

Would it not be 38?  He is credited on the Varese Midway release from 2011.  

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Here's the remaining 80s non-expanded, non SW or Indy scores, not exactly my most desired releases however I would still enjoy C&C releases for all of these at some point!

Spacecamp

Witches of Eastwick

The Accidental Tourist

Born on the 4th of July

Always

Don't forget Heartbeeps! Townson's Varese album is complete as far as anyone knows, but he could have left off stuff (I have no idea), and the sound could be improved! 

Ordered! (From the samples) Sound quaity is greatly improved and clear! Thanks Intrada and Team. Im sure, another astrounding job by Mike Matessino. I suppose sound is transfered in high resolution. The Opening/ Prologe and Epilogue (sans dialogue) are already my favourite cues!

Zero comments on  Intrada board😳

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think you're missing the point of the 'extras' section in Intrada's world. It's for bits that would interrupt the flow of the main program.

If they put it in the main program, people complain. Omitted.... people complain.

Why isn't that thirty second cue where it belongs; in the proper chronological order of the main program!?😠

😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

27 minutes ago, Arpy said:

None of the samples are working for me. :(

It just saves an m3u file that's empty.

Try changing the extension to mp3.

When I first listened to War of the Worlds back in 2005, I must admit, I was a bit disappointed. So much dissonance, no recognizable, hummable themes, overall very dark and gloomy and murky. 

15 years later, I hear so much more. It's not just mindless dissonant dark music, see. It's John Williams at the top of his game, the orchestration is multi-layered and incredibly well thought out and addictive, it's propulsive, pernicious, viscerally horrifying and breathtaking music... A consummate artist giving all he has at the service of the picture!

Can't wait to listen to this album from start to finish! 

7 hours ago, Alan said:

Could it have been tracked from the aliens in the basement scene?

Thought of that but the choir sounds very different in the Aliens cue.

There is a doc. on the music. JW says he used a very low voiced male choir in the basement scene for the aliens.

Fwiw

6 hours ago, The Soundtrack Organizer said:

The low Tibetan Munks?

If you listen closely you can hear them singing .." Boy....ya...nah.natzi".😁

These past 2 years, we've gotten the expanded Minority Report, Far and Away, and now War of the Worlds

Who thinks Born on the Fourth of July is just over the horizon, completing the John Williams/Tom Cruise releases? 

All 4 are among the best JW works, in my opinion. And yes, among the best Tom Cruise movies as well! 

Would love to order this but really want another couple of titles to go along with it. At least The River is in stock but that's about it. Alien and Monsignor both out of stock. 

Do Intrada ever update people about stock levels or new batches of stock returning soon? LLL are great like that; helps people can plan their purchases in bulk (to reduce those killer international shipping fees). 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Do Intrada ever update people about stock levels or new batches of stock returning soon? LLL are great like that; helps people can plan their purchases in bulk (to reduce those killer international shipping fees). 

As far as I'm aware, they don't send out emails or make forum posts when things come back in stock.

What I have seen them do I believe is put up a banner on the top of their home page that showcases some things back in stock.  IE right now there is a banner for WOTW, and you scroll right and the next banner is for Robin Hood, sometimes in that area there's a "back in stock" banner, IIRC

That's a shame. The risk of holding off on these initial batches is you might not get another chance for a year once it goes out of stock. But the shipping fee structure badly disincentives small purchases. 

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Would love to order this but really want another couple of titles to go along with it. At least The River is in stock but that's about it. Alien and Monsignor both out of stock. 

The Rocketeer

Apollo 13

Both in stock.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

1. 1962 Bachelor Flat (Intrada 2008)
  2. 1965 None But The Brave (FSM 2009)
  3. 1966 How To Steal A Million (Intrada 2008)
  4. 1969 Goodbye, Mr. Chips (FSM 2006)
  5. 1972 Pete 'n' Tillie (Varese 2017)
  6. 1972 The Cowboys (Varese 2018)
  7. 1972 The Poseidon Adventure (La-La Land 2019)
  8. 1974 Earthquake (La-La Land 2019)
  9. 1974 The Towering Inferno (La-La Land 2019)
  10. 1975 Jaws (Intrada 2015)
  11. 1976 Family Plot (Varese 2010)
  12. 1977 Black Sunday (FSM 2010)
  13. 1977 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (La-La Land 2017)
  14. 1978 Jaws 2 (Intrada 2015)
  15. 1978 The Fury (La-La Land 2013)
  16. 1978 Superman: The Movie (La-La Land 2019)
  17. 1979 Dracula (Varese 2018)
  18. 1979 1941 (La-La Land 2011)
  19. 1982 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (La-La Land 2017)
  20. 1982 Monsignor (Intrada 2019)
  21. 1984 The River (Intrada 2020)
  22. 1987 Empire Of The Sun (La-La Land 2014)
  23. 1990 Stanley & Iris (Varese 2017)
  24. 1990 Home Alone (La-La Land 2015)
  25. 1992 Far And Away (La-La Land 2020)
  26. 1992 Home Alone 2 (La-la Land 2012)
  27. 1993 Jurassic Park (La-La Land 2016)
  28. 1993 Schindler's List (La-La Land 2018)
  29. 1997 Rosewood (La-La Land 2013)
  30. 1997 The Lost World (La-La Land 2016)
  31. 1998 Saving Private Ryan (La-La Land 2018)
  32. 2001 A.I. Artificial Intelligence (La-La Land 2015)
  33. 2001 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (La-La Land 2018)
  34. 2002 Minority Report (La-La Land 2019)
  35. 2002 Harry Potter 2 and the Chamber of Secrets (La-La Land 2018)
  36. 2004 Harry Potter 3 and the Prisoner of Azkaban (La-La Land 2018)
  37. 2005 War of the Worlds (Intrada 2020)

Does the Blue Box not count for some reason? Even if the original Superman was later perfected even further, it was a huge project for Mike in 2008. And Superman IV, considering it featured three original Williams themes (and I think he even conducted the “concert versions”), should count too shouldn’t it? You’re counting Chamber of Secrets...

Yavar

Williams didn't conduct the Superman IV concert arrangements

And it's a list of scores, not a list of releases; the most recent edition of each score is listed as a parenthetical.  So Home Alone mentions the 2015 edition only (not the 2010), Superman lists the 2019 edition only (not the 2008), etc. 

This is actually because I simply and quickly copied and pasted each entry from the "Williams scores by Film Studio" thread!

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

And he didn’t even write the concert arrangements of these themes. He literally just wrote the themes themselves and indicated the harmony (a lead sheet, essentially) and Alexander Courage did the arrangements, which means Williams’ involvement with Superman IV was far more minimal than Chamber of Secrets or even Solo.

33 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

And he didn’t even write the concert arrangements of these themes. He literally just wrote the themes themselves and indicated the harmony (a lead sheet, essentially) and Alexander Courage did the arrangements, which means Williams’ involvement with Superman IV was far more minimal than Chamber of Secrets or even Solo.

And in some way communicated with Courage over phone.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

And it's a list of scores, not a list of releases; the most recent edition of each score is listed as a parenthetical.  So Home Alone mentions the 2015 edition only (not the 2010), Superman lists the 2019 edition only (not the 2008), etc.

But you wrote, “I think this is his 37th Williams score expansion/premiere in the past 15 years!”

If you are counting Williams score releases of Mike’s in the past 15 years., you should include the Blue Box, even if it got improved upon later.

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But you wrote, “I think this is his 37th Williams score expansion/premiere in the past 15 years!”

If you are counting Williams score releases of Mike’s in the past 15 years., you should include the Blue Box, even if it got improved upon later.

Yavar

Not that any of this really matters, but I agree with Jay's "by film" approach rather than "by release."  No need to count scores like Home Alone or Superman twice just because they got two expansions.

31 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

If you want to make your own list that is different than mine, feel free

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Not that any of this really matters, but I agree with Jay's "by film" approach rather than "by release."  No need to count scores like Home Alone or Superman twice just because they got two expansions.

Thank you :)

I asked about Tripord Siren sfx at FSM and Mike Matessino just responded :

Just wanted to know if the Tripod trumpet like blast effect was created by John Williams in pre production? If so it would be nice to have that as an added Easter Egg on this set!

MM:It wasn't musically created actually. I did think about having it but there was no clean element for it, and the mood at the time the project was getting finalized was not one in which it felt like a good idea to scare listeners out of their wits with this siren of doom.

58 minutes ago, Amer said:

I asked about Tripord Siren sfx at FSM and Mike Matessino just responded :

Just wanted to know if the Tripod trumpet like blast effect was created by John Williams in pre production? If so it would be nice to have that as an added Easter Egg on this set!

MM:It wasn't musically created actually. I did think about having it but there was no clean element for it, and the mood at the time the project was getting finalized was not one in which it felt like a good idea to scare listeners out of their wits with this siren of doom.

Thank God!

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

And if the LLL STTMP can have the V'ger blaster beam effects separately!

Those were done musically ;)

Got my shipping notice. Much quicker than I was expecting. Can't wait to hear this in full. The samples are very promising :)