WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Conversely, there's a bunch of music here that wasn't in the leak

awesome! Thanks for the answer, @Jay! Then I can ignore the leak. I got headaches comparing the recording sessions of Schindler's List with the LLL release.

In retrospective..it is a little depressing to think how much money many of us here invest in shipping fees when that money could be used to buy soundtracks :(.

10 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

In retrospective..it is a little depressing to think how much money many of us here invest in shipping fees when that money could be used to buy soundtracks :(.

Calfornians also pay 8 1/2 percent sales tax.

So , that's about a twenty five percent surcharge.

That's why I try to wait for LLL sales. The discount basically pays the postage and sales tax.

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

It came! I will be listening to the score, reading the liner notes with a nice cup of ginger tea later this evening.

Tea?

Bourbon might be more appropriate😁

5 hours ago, Jay said:

That OST track "The Reunion" does NOT match the final film edit.  The final film uses a piece of music that was not on the OST, AND not on the session leak, that we are finally getting clean for the first time here (at the end of "Boston Street Finale" on disc 1)

Ah, almost had it! Not often there's this many alternates to keep straight.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I love both versions of the Prologue and have no opinion on which one is "better" - they are both so cool, in different ways!

Do you know what the story is with the 2 separate sketches for synth and orchestra (both 1M2)? Did JW originally intend for the opening to be synth-only and later decide to add the orchestral instruments?

Looks like we can now safely say these were not recorded:

Prologue

Not to be confused with 1M2 Film Prologue / 1M2 Prologue Orch., this cue has no slate and is "Approx. 1:30" (as written on the sketch). It's essentially a shorter version of the Epilogue, with the same opening trumpet chords and the string part begins the same way, though it obviously doesn't continue as long. There's a brief horn solo that's unique to this cue, and it ends with a haunting trumpet solo (the sketch specifically calls for "Tim Morrison"), the same one which closes out the album version of "Refugee Status".

@Jay Any idea what this was intended for? More potential album-only material?

MD SC72 Bodies in the River [v1]

Only the ending differs from version 2 (apparently the only one recorded). This first version repeats and fades to nothing, rather than building up at the end.

4M5 Robbie Joins the Fight

Only 4M5 New seems to have been recorded, but there's only a brief section is the middle that's different at all, including the addition of that nice timpani solo moment.

5 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Do you know what the story is with the 2 separate sketches for synth and orchestra (both 1M2)? Did JW originally intend for the opening to be synth-only and later decide to add the orchestral instruments?

I don't know, but that sounds like a good guess.

Looks like we can now safely say these were not recorded:

Prologue

Not to be confused with 1M2 Film Prologue / 1M2 Prologue Orch., this cue has no slate and is "Approx. 1:30" (as written on the sketch). It's essentially a shorter version of the Epilogue, with the same opening trumpet chords and the string part begins the same way, though it obviously doesn't continue as long. There's a brief horn solo that's unique to this cue, and it ends with a haunting trumpet solo (the sketch specifically calls for "Tim Morrison"), the same one which closes out the album version of "Refugee Status".

@Jay Any idea what this was intended for? More potential album-only material?

Definitely wasn't recorded, and yea, again a good guess about what it was intended for

MD SC72 Bodies in the River [v1]

Only the ending differs from version 2 (apparently the only one recorded). This first version repeats and fades to nothing, rather than building up at the end.

Was not recorded. The Ver 2 version that was recorded was one of the very last cues they did record, so I guess they realized early on the original version wouldn't work for whatever reason

4M5 Robbie Joins the Fight

Only 4M5 New seems to have been recorded, but there's only a brief section is the middle that's different at all, including the addition of that nice timpani solo moment.

Definitely was not recorded, the "New" sheets were integrated before any takes of this cue were laid down

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Calfornians also pay 8 1/2 percent sales tax.

So , that's about a twenty five percent surcharge.

That's a really low sales tax. Austria's is 20% on CDs (Germany is 19% I believe).

Things will become even more fun for us Europeans next year (I believe) when the minimum amount for an order to qualify for sales tax is dropped and everything qualifies. Currently, some sellers beat the system by not labeling the correct amount on the parcel. (Also, the customs office lets some parcels through even if they're labeled above the limit, while they intercept others and ask for an official invoice if they're suspicious even if they're labeled below the limit; I've never found a real pattern for that).

I'm not complaining (much) about the tax per se (it has a purpose, and I'd have to pay if if I bought the CD locally as well), but I am complaining that it applies also to the shipping charge (which from the US to Europe is often significant) and about the fact that I have to pay a handling fee (something between €7 and €20) on top of that for the fact that I often have to wait several weeks longer for the customs office to process my order.

I expect the Brits will feel the effect of the tax quite a bit once Brexit is complete.

As I said, I'm not against the taxes. But I have issues with the manner in which they are handled, especially for international orders of stuff that's too niche to just buy in a local shop.

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As I said, I'm not against the taxes. But I have issues with the manner in which they are handled, especially for international orders of stuff that's too niche to just buy in a local shop.

I sympathize. I honestly do. It seems excessive .

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

What about the year both CE3K and ET came out

:mrgreen:

My history of exclusive specialty label purchases:

2009 - Mars Attacks!  Bad idea, but I was young

2015 - AI

2018 - Dracula

2020- CE3K

War of the Worlds

On 10/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, Bayesian said:

That's scary expensive shipping. :(  Is the rate more reasonable "per-capita" if you have a bunch of CDs in a single order? If so, I wonder if Intrada could put aside a copy of WOTW for you until all the other CDs you want are restocked.

Part of me wants to actually drive over to Intrada's offices in Oakland so I could A) let them know in person how grateful we all are for the amazing, indispensable work they do, and B) see if my idea above would actually be possible. (Of course, that's assuming they even receive random visitors, which they might not.)

That's really kind of you @Bayesian, appreciate it. The problem ultimately lies with the structure of their international shipping.

You pay the same flat shipping fee regardless of whether you order 2CDs or 7CDs. Clearly this incentivizes buying in bulk (I think most international buyers do this anyway) because you're effectively paying the same shipping fee regardless of whether you buy WOTW by itself, or WOTW + 5 other CDs.

image.png

The problem is almost everything I want is out of stock, so I can't bundle in extra titles to make that $28 worthwhile. So I'll need to pay $28 now just to get WOTW, then another $28 whenever the other titles are back in stock (and who knows when that'll happen, given the manufacturing delays).

I might drop them an email and see what they can do. Somehow I doubt they'll hold a copy of WOTW in perpetuity, unless new stock of Alien/Predator/Monsignor is just around the corner.

Actually, they charge for 1CD when you buy a 2-disc album. At least that is what I always pay. I paid $15 for The River and the same for War of the Worlds.

Karol

All this talk about the new & improved sound quality is intriguing to me, because unlike some other JW albums, I've never had issues with the sound of this one.

I haven't ordered it yet. Still waiting for one or two more releases to place a complete order, as described by crumbs. At which point it'll probably be out of stock, as described by crumbs.

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Actually, they charge for 1CD when you buy a 2-disc album. At least that is what I always pay.

Karol

That's interesting. Can I ask what international region you're shipping to?

@Arpy said his shipping cost was $28 to Australia (but I don't know if he got WOTW by itself or with other titles).

In any case, I was planning to bundle WOTW with The River before that vanishes as well; I just can't make up the other 4 discs.

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's interesting. Can I ask what international region you're shipping to?

@Arpy said his shipping cost was $28 to Australia (but I don't know if he got WOTW by itself or with other titles).

In any case, I was planning to bundle WOTW with The River before that vanishes as well; I just can't make up the other 4 discs.

UK.

IMG_20201010_152039.jpg

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, The River is an absolutely amazing album so I would definitely get it. One of the best things to come out in 2020. :)

Karol

+1

20 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, The River is an absolutely amazing album so I would definitely get it. One of the best things to come out in 2020. :)

You really like it, don't you? You're right of course.

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm a part of the silent majority! Come after me and legions of fellow Thorites shall be emboldened to wreak fury the likes of which you've never seen!

You shall succeed where Nixon failed!

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

:mrgreen:

My history of exclusive specialty label purchases:

2009 - Mars Attacks!  Bad idea, but I was young

2015 - AI

2018 - Dracula

2020- CE3K

War of the Worlds

Why do you hate John Williams so much?

It would be nice if you could order CDs and be able to order out of stock items (not OOP, just not available at the moment) at the same time so they could reserve items and prepare the order as items come back in stock. I wouldnt care to receive things way later (months even, as long as a I was 100% sure I would get them. I'm mean paying everything in advance of course. But it would save alot in shipping.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It would be nice if you could order CDs and be able to order out of stock items (not OOP, just not available at the moment) at the same time so they could reserve items and prepare the order as items come back in stock. I wouldnt care to receive things way later (months even, as long as a I was 100% sure I would get them. I'm mean paying everything in advance of course. But it would save alot in shipping.

Indeed. I imagine their logistics are not prepared for dealing with impatient customers having dozens of release on backorder where even Intrada themselves don't know a specific date when they'll be available again.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:05 AM, crumbs said:

Well that's good to know! Thanks @Arpy (and @crocodile for the heads up). 

Still expensive but might be a better option to get WOTW by itself than pay another $10 shipping just to include The River.

The three of you don’t happen to live near each other, do you? Close enough to go in together on a big box of cds with bulk rate shipping, such that you can meet up at a Starbucks somewhere to divvy up the discs when they come in?