WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

2 hours ago, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

I wonder if the hearing of the March of the Resistance in so many different pieces both by Williams and not is a microcosm of people hearing Williams' Star Wars music in every other piece of music.

The success of such gem pieces in creating a stream of impressions that appears continuous, which results in their very strong identity (-> memorability), comes about because every single element of their construction is "logically" meaningful, so the memory of their identity is retained even in reaction to the smallest of parts. Each of these very salient elements can independently be guess-recalled as "relevant" in response to an encounter with a real or illusionary musical ancestor.

"You're a lucky man, Leonard" 

"How so?" 

"You're talking to one of three men in the Western hemisphere capable of following that train of thought." 

"They're already here!"

My 2-CD set of War of the Worlds, I mean.  See what I did there?  My CD set arrived today and was waiting for me when I got home from work, well packaged by Intrada in a little box with some of those polystyrene things that look like anaemic Wotsits.

I will never forget the date when the OST CD arrived in the post - 7th July 2005.  Thankfully the day the expanded set arrived has been much less eventful and stressful so far!

25 minutes ago, Omen II said:

"They're already here!"

My 2-CD set of War of the Worlds, I mean.  See what I did there?  My CD set arrived today and was waiting for me when I got home from work, well packaged by Intrada in a little box with some of those polystyrene things that look like anaemic Wotsits.

I will never forget the date when the OST CD arrived in the post - 7th July 2005.  Thankfully the day the expanded set arrived has been much less eventful and stressful so far!

Did your set ship last Tuesday? Did you get any tracking updates at all? Just curious because I've had no updates since last Wednesday.

I'm getting bit impatient now. :lol:

Speaking of original album, I remember getting the CD on the same day I saw the movie in July 2005. Must have been the opening day or not long after that.

Karol

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Did your set ship last Tuesday? Did you get any tracking updates at all? Just curious because I've had no updates since last Wednesday.

I ordered it at precisely 17:25 on Tuesday 6th October, but I have no idea when it shipped.  My Intrada online account still has my old email address, so if any order confirmation or tracking updates were sent out, I would not have received any of them.  I realised this half way through ordering but because I was still at work at the time I couldn't be arsed to change it, settling with taking a photo of the order confirmation screen Bruce Marshall-stylee in case I needed the order number at a later date.

Yours is probably delayed because the aliens delivering the packages are worried about contracting COVID-19 if they venture into the East Midlands.  If the common cold can do for them, they really ought to be at home on Mars shielding.

24 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Yours is probably delayed because the aliens delivering the packages are worried about contracting COVID-19 if they venture into the East Midlands.  If the common cold can do for them, they really ought to be at home on Mars shielding.

That's unacceptable! I need mine delivered no matter the cost!

Screenshot_2020-10-14-18-44-56-162_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Karol

It looks like there is some overlap between the scores composed at the same time. In 2002, you had the suspenseful Herrmanesque ostinatos. In 2005, it's agonised lugubrious string elegies.

Karol

19 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Here's my attempt at isolating the choir that plays in The Intersection Scene using the two tracks from the new release. This sounds so creepy!

Sounds like something out of Close Encounters!

And Williams also talked about using human voices to compliment the "zapping" effects in the old making of featurette if I remember correctly.

Karol

17 hours ago, Chewy said:

Here's my attempt at isolating the choir that plays in The Intersection Scene using the two tracks from the new release. This sounds so creepy!

It just keeps on buidling and building! Whoa, must have been tough for the choir members to come in and out and make it seamless! Really amazing stuff.

Also, LOVE that synth at the end. Didn't even notice it was there!

My copy arrived, but the postman passed by in the 30 minutes i was away from home....so its at the post office. Pretty quickly. Karol, Between the 10th and 15th i did not get any tracking updates. Literally it leaved the US and then appeared at the local post office

14 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

To celebrate this expanded release I sat down and arranged Ray And Rachel for solo piano. Can't find time to nurture my YouTube channel, so here you go. 

WotW_3m4.pdf 38.16 kB · 13 downloads

Very nice. 

Could it be that there is a half-note rest missing for the second voice of the right hand in the 5th bar?

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Very nice. 

Could it be that there is a half-note rest missing for the second voice of the right hand in the 5th bar?

yeah the C#... can't say if I just missed it or if I decided against it for practical reasons. Übrigens super Avatar-Name. ;)

I am still waiting for my copy as well.

I don’t know the score outside of the movie, so I am looking forward to hearing it without context.

So far, what I’ve sampled is far less “bombastic” than what I had expected.

Excited to get my hands on it!

At FSM a number of people have reported a defective disc 1 with what appears to be a scratch on the outer edge of the disc that causes the final few tracks to be unplayable. Upon reading this I opened mine to discover that unfortunately I had the same issue so I've contacted Intrada for a replacement. My copy had been sitting unopened since it arrived in Monday (I ordered 5 cds and was saving this one for last) so if anyone hasn't checked their copy yet I would recommend they open it and take a look. Here is a photo of what the damage looks like:

John Chambers defective War of the Worlds.jpg

I didn't look closely at my discs, but I guess I'll find out whether there is an issue when I play my rips next week.  I flipped through the booklet and read Matessino's tech notes.  Looks like a pretty nice package.

I had a issue with ripping the last few tracks of disc 1 (entrance to boston on had skips and bits and pieces of music from The Basket), then I switched out external disc drives, and it ripped fine

6 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

I had a issue with ripping the last few tracks of disc 1 (entrance to boston on had skips and bits and pieces of music from The Basket), then I switched out external disc drives, and it ripped fine

But was it scratched? 

Sometimes it seems to rip fine, but on close listens, you can sometimes hear faint crackles.... Happened to me once.

Don't want to worry people, but just saying! 

Bit disconcerting. Guess we'll have a clearer idea in a few days on the extent of the bad batch. Hopefully it's just one box of stock and the rest are fine. 

Still waiting for HTTYD to come in stock before ordering anyway. 

It looks more like damaged stock than a manufacturing defect, but I'm no expert on the process of printing CDs. 

I thought 79+ minutes discs just didn't play on certain older CD players, not that they possibly introduced defects. 

Hi Guys!

Long time reader, first post (about time I joined).

Also having the same issues with ripping the last few tracks of CD 1. Also had issues with The Rocketeer as others commented on that thread.

Importantly the discs themselves play fine so it's my crappy disc drive. My own fault for not listening to the actual CD I suppose!

Really enjoying this release though - thank you Matessino (yet again!) and Intrada.

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

Importantly the discs themselves play fine so it's my crappy disc drive. My own fault for not listening to the actual CD I suppose!

Not at all, it's still a manufacturing defect. Send Intrada an email and they'll mail you a replacement copy.

And welcome to the forums! Nice to have more Aussies around ;)