WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Not at all, it's still a manufacturing defect. Send Intrada an email and they'll mail you a replacement copy.

And welcome to the forums! Nice to have more Aussies around ;)

Thanks crumbs!

To be fair I'd agree with King Mark on this one as there's no physical damage/scratch to my copy of the cd itself. It appears its ripping the cd that's causing issues for some people.

Fortunately I ripped the affected tracks a second time and have had more success - no pops/crackling this time around.

42 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yes, but it seems that some people go rushing for replacements at the smallest cosmetic issue, especially if it's a JW score. It doesn't have to be perfect.

If it's only cosmetic then OK, but a scratch at the border of the CD and errors while ripping the last tracks isn't a coincidence.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Absolutely yes, if it's causing a ripping issue then a replacement is needed. I'm just talking about fussing over purely cosmetic problems.

Sometimes damage to the cases goes beyond cosmetic though. I've only asked for a replacement case once on the Potter box. Half the disc teeth were shattered to the point that discs were sliding around in the case when closed, so disc scratches were inevitable.

LLL, being the excellent company they are, kindly sent out replacement cases for PS and COS. All the labels are excellent in this regard, brilliant customer service.

I think they kept the set for a while at Universal Studios - the tour went past it showing the wreckage when I visited in 2008.

I remember visiting Universal Studios in 2000 and seeing parts of the huge miniature set they had built for JP3 (mountains), as well as a shed which housed some of the full-scale animatronic dinosaurs (their arses were poking out)! Oh, and Whoville from The Grinch!

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yes, but it seems that some people go rushing for replacements at the smallest cosmetic issue, especially if it's a JW score. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Depends of how fussy you are about your collectibles. Some people  have  a lower tolerance for defects like this. If you don't care fine but I do. "As long as you can rip it" doesn't fly with me

I asked for replacements of 1 disk of the JP set and one of the HP set

I have a few questions.

Firstly, Refugee Status is not used in the movie, or is it? I watched it a few months ago and I don't remember a scene with this cue. Ray and Rachel is another cue that I don't remember when it plays in the film.

Also, Defeat and Reunion and Boston Street Finale were all meant to play over the same scene of Ray arriving in Boston and delivering Rachel to the mother, right? Are they alternates of each other? If not, which scene does Defeat and Reunion plays?

On 10/17/2020 at 12:53 PM, Edmilson said:

I have a few questions.

Firstly, Refugee Status is not used in the movie, or is it? I watched it a few months ago and I don't remember a scene with this cue.

Completely dropped from the film.  There is a line of dialogue during an unscored scene in between when "Woods Walk" ends and "Robbie Joins The Fight" begins where a soldier says "Our mission, Lieutenant, is to delay their advance until those refugees get to safety.  Now, keep firing!" so presumably it was written for a longer edit of that scene

Ray and Rachel is another cue that I don't remember when it plays in the film.

After the" Bodies in the Water" scene/cue, an army caravan goes by and Robbie expresses interest in joining them; Ray and him fight about it. Rachel interrupts the fight by asking "Who will take care of me?", and this cue covers from there through the trio driving into the town where the ferry is. 

Also, Defeat and Reunion and Boston Street Finale were all meant to play over the same scene of Ray arriving in Boston and delivering Rachel to the mother, right? Are they alternates of each other? If not, which scene does Defeat and Reunion plays?

"Defeat and Reunion" covers, for the first 40 seconds, the scene where the tripod door opens up and the dying alien falls out.  Then, the final 2 minutes of the track is 5th version of the reunion of Ray and Rachel with Rachel's mother and grandparents (and Robbie) in the Boston street

"Boston Street Finale" is just the 4th version of the street reunion, it doesn't repeat the dying alien part.

No scratches on my disc, but I did notice Epilogue has a slight digital buzz at the beginning, it's not that noticeable - but the alternate version on Disc 2 doesn't have the same issue. I had no problems ripping it, so not sure what it is. Sounds like the buzz of a monitor or something.

Luckily this time I got my disc without delays from the posts :) I'm enjoying right now, I didn't exhaustively checked the cd's to see if they were perfect, they seemed but I'll also try to rip them to see if everything went fine.

It's very minor, but I checked it out on the OST version of Epilogue on D2, and it was the same thing.

Tbh, it's nothing to worry about, it's only about a second and then is gone.

15 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I checked it out on the OST version of Epilogue on D2, and it was the same thing.

Then it's probably in the recording. Might be something as in "Quidditch, Third Year".

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Then it's probably in the recording. Might be something as in "Quidditch, Third Year".

Oh boy, there's something like that in that track? I don't want to hear it but now you've mentioned it, I'm doomed!

Just now, Arpy said:

Oh boy, there's something like that in that track? I don't want to hear it but now you've mentioned it, I'm doomed!

If it's clear that it's in the recording, I can live with that for some reason. Just don't let me know that it's a pressing or master issue and I'm fine.

Some issues I noticed with Rescuing Sirius that sounded like strange artifacts were also present in the film, so I'm assuming that it was something inherent in the recording process and nothing in post. 

On 10/5/2020 at 6:44 PM, Jay said:

I believe the edit points between takes was different in the film compared to the album

On 10/16/2020 at 4:58 PM, King Mark said:

I have very bad luck with these things so 100% chance mine will have the scratch

It's like me and boxed sets.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

I checked mine and there was just a small scratch on disc 2, something that  i would consider normal. Both played fine.

A small scratch is...normal?

Who would've believed in this 21st century there are still imperfections and processing problems to deal with. 

I am hoping for a successful outcome!

I just updated the Wiki article.

(Hey just comfort me, the original album was not a re-recording huh?) 

+1 for "Expanded reissue albums".

image.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

3 minutes ago, rough cut said:

The mob mentality.

The most intense and uncanny scene to me. And note: one single beat on Tom Cruise's back of the head and he's down-to-earth - just as the movie.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So I haven't read the last couple of pages...

How many have gotten the album and how many scratches we got so far? 

Not sure if this is scarier than missing teeth...