WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

My edit ended up looking like this and I really enjoy it now on the 2nd-3rd listen:

image.png

Mostly self-explanatory. The Invasion is Intersection Scene+What Happened+Before the Escape+Driving Away. I didn't like how IS just died down so quickly, and as stated above I like BtE+DA, so this worked out fine. The other solution would've been to copy the looped tracked ending for IS from the OST. Decided those two Reunion alternates are good as is in the main program. Alternates Suite is Prologue (alternate), then Separation of the Family, then Driving Away leading to Ferry Scene with the throatsinging insert from a 5.1 rip, then Entrance to Boston alternate, then Street Finale alternate 2, then Epilogue alternate, then

Street Finale 1 since I felt it had the most satisfying closure. Then a little assembly of the mechanical sound and sirens from the 5.1 mix to cap it off.

Not knowing this score before, I didn't even know about the OST extensions and sure didn't notice anything being up with those two tracks, they slot in very well.

Also, I've said before that "when they were intended to be joined, they should be joined". Well here I am proven wrong with What Happened and Driving Away. And I really appreciate that I'm given the option to pick and choose, edit in this album intro or join them, and if someone else likes it differently they an do that, and if someone's fine with the usual buildup to nothing, 5 seconds silence, sudden start out of nowhere, they can keep listening to that too. Same with including all those alternates, where some may scoff and say "I maybe listen to them once and never again, I don't care", well this way anyone can pick and choose which one they like the best and which ones to listen to, and I LOVE that. Sure, I don't often listen to just the alternates sections as is... but I do like listening to what I make from them. BUT I wouldn't like it if it already came premade, others may not like it, it takes away the opportunity to compare the pieces in context or easily switch the out or any of that.

Long story short, me making "frankenstein edits" that I find perfect to listen to doesn't mean I don't immensely appreciate these sets and the approach to their assembly!

On 11/16/2020 at 10:04 AM, Smeltington said:

Oh weird. Looks like I picked the wrong week to think I was done with my edit.

In case you are wondering what/where they are exactly on Disc 1:

2:14-end of Track 7
2:00-end of Track 12

A lot of times an expanded album comes out and the new master sounds very similar to the old master.

In the case of AI, Minority Report, and War of the Worlds, the new masters are NOTICEABLY different.

Just listen to the samples provided free on LLL's website

https://lalalandrecords.com/minority-report-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

14 hours ago, Chewy said:

Just listen to it.

Let me ask you this; how would you rate the overall sound quality of the latest Spielberg/ Williams Connection .

Let's say disc three.

I just want to get a sense of our respective ' ears'. 😊

12 minutes ago, E-Wan said:

When the new mastering is done by Mike Matessino it always sounds better.

For now, yes. But who known when he'll turn all Shawn Murphy...

18 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

MR ost sounds fantastic.

I refuse to believe claims that the remaster is " revelatory".

It's got all these chair squeaks and paper turns you couldn't hear on the OST!

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

For now, yes. But who known when he'll turn all Shawn Murphy...

Murphy's one of the best recordists in the business.

The fact that Mike has yielded such superb stereo mixes from his 5.1 masters is a testament to how good his recordings are.

Any issues with the audio quality of older OSTs are likely a result of the mastering process, not the mixing. Mike has discussed in the past that 'dulling down' the CD brightness was flavour of the day a few decades ago, because they weren't sure how far to push those dynamic recordings for a mass-market soundtrack (where they have to cater for all types of listening devices).

For mine, his only disappointing mixes in the last few decades are A.I. (muddy, lacking in detail), AOTC (persistent hiss, potential recording defect) and TFA (the recording is great but I really dislike how that score was mixed; the OST is way too bright and an unpleasant listen).

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Murphy's one of the best recordists in the business.

The fact that Mike has yielded such superb stereo mixes from his 5.1 masters is a testament to how good his recordings are.

Any issues with the audio quality of older OSTs are likely a result of the mastering process, not the mixing. Mike has discussed in the past that 'dulling down' the CD brightness was flavour of the day a few decades ago, because they weren't sure how far to push those dynamic recordings for a mass-market soundtrack (where they have to cater for all types of listening devices).

For mine, his only disappointing mixes in the last few decades are A.I. (muddy, lacking in detail), AOTC (persistent hiss, potential recording defect) and TFA (the recording is great but I really dislike how that score was mixed; the OST is way too bright and an unpleasant listen).

He certainly dropped the ball with the demasters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:06 PM, Chewy said:

So while starting work on the isolated score, I noticed how different the Intersection Scene choir sounds in the movie, compared to the version presented on the Intrada release.

Intrada version (track 1-03):

Film version:

Do we have information on what happened here? It almost sounds like totally different takes of the choir were used for the movie, maybe tracked from somewhere else but I can't think of any similar choir in the score.

Just curious to know when you'll put up the restored isolated score?

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

How many folks upgraded from ost to two cd?

This is tempting but my ost will have to suffice. For now at least.

I did. The old OST is a frisbee now. The new OST rocks because of the high resolution and is reconstructed from scratch.  And the film presentation on Disc 1 is something else. 

My advice: Get it fast before Intrada gets it out of stock. 

P. S. They sold out the initial batch but 2nd batch coming soon. 

If I had unlimited funds, maybe.

I've purchased several cds lately so a bit low on funds.

Want to prioritize new and never owned titles. Though I did up grade HTTYD , INTERSTELLAR, and TWO MULES.

I own DVD of WOTW also.

If I had unlimited funds, maybe.

41 minutes ago, Amer said:

I did. The old OST is a frisbee now. The new OST rocks because of the high resolution and is reconstructed from scratch.  And the film presentation on Disc 1 is something else. 

My advice: Get it fast before Intrada gets it out of stock. 

The new release is absolutely gorgeous! So glad I picked it up. I'm yet to hear disc 2 but disc 1 alone was worth the price of admission.

Even if you think the session leak filled in the blanks with the OST, the improvement in audio quality on this set leaves the sessions for dead. It's like hearing the score with new ears, the same as that stunning high-resolution Minority Report remaster last year.

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Just curious to know when you'll put up the restored isolated score?

I've made good progress and I plan to publish a first batch very soon!

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, crumbs said:

But what a fantastic mini-suite of alternates at the end! Love how these bonus tracks form a listening experience unto themselves, where if you just want a taste of the score you could listen to those 15 minutes and be totally satisfied. It was the same with Far & Away's superb 28 minute suite of alternates; satisfying musical storytelling in its own right, if you don't have time for the entire score.

Just reiterates why Mike is the best. It's never a lazy dump of miscellaneous alternates at the end; there's genuine thought put into presenting them.

I love reading this! Hope it's a method that continues on future releases

11 hours ago, The Big Man said:

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said.

The chances of anythinnnnng coming from Mars are a million to one, but still, they commmmmme!

Omg- it's...its....its.....MATT DAMON!😵