WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

7 minutes ago, ymenard said:

Hasn't the WOTW recordings leaked a couple of years back, no?  

I see a couple of alternate, some suites, a lot of variations from "Reunion in Boston".  All in all, around 150min of music.

To my knowledge the leak only had 3-4 alternates. Any suites or additional content would have been added from the OST or DVD by fan editors/pirates/whatever you want to call them.

Somebody had stated "I want my War"  in another thread. Well, he just got this War (of the Worlds). 😁

I have been waiting for this release for ages. Thanks Intrada. I was expecting LLL to release this but irrespective it's done by none other than good old Mike Matessino so it doesn't matter. 

I was saving my unopened Minority Report cd set for this. Now I'll be able to unveil and play these back to back!! 

2 hours ago, who cares said:

I've never heard this score outside the film, which I disliked so much, I sold the used my DVD that I bought when I thought I would like it. Hard pass from me. 

I found the movie to be simultaneously boring and irritating--typical Hollywood thinking the way they think as somehow representative of how everyone else thinks (e.g., "is it the terrorists?").  However, the score has some tense, dynamic moments--with some interesting callbacks to sci-fi scoring of the 50s.  

Such awesome news! :) 

I really love this intense, relentless score.

I don't know it well but I suspect even if there's not much interesting outside the OST this will be worth it just for doing away with the stupid narration and combinations.

Love the brass in this score - Escape From the City and Attacking the Car have been favourites for years in just how propulsive and relentless they are in driving (no pun intended) the action and chaos of those scenes. It's Herrmann-esque in a familiar vein to Minority Report.

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

Love the brass in this score - Escape From the City and Attacking the Car have been favourites for years in just how propulsive and relentless they are in driving (no pun intended) the action and chaos of those scenes. It's Herrmann-esque in a familiar vein to Minority Report.

The Ferry Scene reminds me of Alex North actually and his 2001. Primal stuff.

Karol

10 hours ago, Chewy said:

The cover though looks very very similar to the OST cover, maybe too similar.

Well, it's for the same film.

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Really don't care about this, but very happy for those who do.

Do you care about anything except HP?

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Damn I step away from the computer for 20 minutes and this happens!

You need to step away from the computer more often, then... :lick:

I've never been a big fan of the score, which is probably among JW's meanest. "The Intersection Scene" is good stuff, though...and was later Hornerised in IJ4. That made me laugh right there in the cinema...

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

So, more isn't necessarily better.

That's the benefit of expansions, you can whittle them down to whatever suits you. Sometimes there's music previously unheard like alternates etc. that are extremely valuable. I'd rather have the choice to hear the C&C instead of having to watch the movie and hear it buried under sfx.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

That's the benefit of expansions, you can whittle them down to whatever suits you. Sometimes there's music previously unheard like alternates etc. that are extremely valuable. I'd rather have the choice to hear the C&C instead of having to watch the movie and hear it buried under sfx.

There's only so many times I feel like hitting that friggin skip button on my remote.

I don't really know what you're referring to. The problem is that as long as those specialty labels aren't going to do post-2005 titles, 90% of the scores I discover will not be expanded. But I AM getting excited about re-discovering Bach and Mozart!

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't really know what you're referring to. The problem is that as long as those specialty labels aren't going to do post-2005 titles, 90% of the scores I discover will not be expanded. But I AM getting excited about re-discovering Bach and Mozart!

C'mon, you're indifferent towards every second JW expansion, or more!

Just now, bollemanneke said:

Right now, Bach's harpsichord concertos conducted by Helmuth Rilling.

Ah, from Hänssler's Bach series. Rilling's Bach has gotten good reviews, and I like them as well. I personally love Pinnock and Mariner's takes on Bach's music. And Karl Richter's - although the recordings are old, they're of very high musical standards.

A healthy diet consists of both period instrument and modern instrument recordings. However, for period instrument performances involving keyboards, I prefer harpsichords (as long as they sound good and not shrill) over fortepianos.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You know my stance on this issue.  I love the sound of a fortepiano.

I can't remember we've discussed this before, sorry. I can occasionally like the sound of a fortepiano, but it very much depends on the instrument.

I've purposely not said a single thing about this release at all, I'm just talking bout the score in general.  We've known the ending was revised 4 times for a decade now

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can't remember we've discussed this before, sorry. I can occasionally like the sound of a fortepiano, but it very much depends on the instrument.

In one of those classical threads some time this year.  I think it was talking about Haydn.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

In one of those classical threads some time this year.  I think it was talking about Haydn.

I remember we talked about Marriner's great symphony recordings! I also really like Bruno Weil's and Trevor Pinnock's energetic takes on the symphonies.

Which keyboard concerto were you talking about? The 11th?