WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

A newsletter refers to an email as far as I know.  I've never seen any website page referred to as a newsletter >shrug<

I'm glad they provided a flipper cover ( however bland) but wonder why " Intrada Special Collection" is missing?

On 10/7/2020 at 11:39 AM, Richard Penna said:

I'm so close to doing the same... I so wish you'd tell us you're actually 12 years old, as that's your posting maturity level.

ALL score fans are 15 years old emotionally!

58 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm glad they provided a flipper cover (however bland) but wonder why " Intrada Special Collection" is missing?

Are you serious? This hasn't been used by Intrada for more than five years now.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow usually Californians are the first to get new specialty label releases! 

Not this Californian! You're getting your copy on Friday, right? Mine won't arrive until next Tuesday, and I'm less than 25 minutes' drive from Oakland (where Intrada is). And I ordered mine the same afternoon as everyone else.

One thing that has always bothered me in these sci fi alien invasion films is that the technology the aliens represent is so advanced and angular physically; yet the bloody the aliens themselves are so physically handicapped limited to the imagination of their creators that just boggles the mind. Just a few cents here while trying not to suspend the illusion. Although I'd admit in this film at least the tripod and the aliens themselves have a certain resemblance.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

For $28 USD delivery to Australia, even I'd expect to receive this before Californians :rolleyes:

$28, just for postage?

Guess that's what happens when you live on top of the world😞or is it the bottom?

54 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

$28, just for postage?

Guess that's what happens when you live on top of the world😞or is it the bottom?

Yes, if you're in Australia the item costs as much to post as the item itself. 

I accept the labels are struggling financially through the pandemic, but they'd probably have more international purchases if their shipping rates were a bit more reasonable. I'm a die-hard JW fan and even I'm struggling to justify this purchase (especially when almost everything else I want from Intrada is out of stock).

9 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Just ripping my copy now.

The booklet looks nice, but I’d wish they’d make space for a full cue-by-cue chronological discussion, and there’s no notes about the alternates at all. It’s very well-written, but more high-level overview of the music.

Mike Matessino does provide some tech notes. He received Protools files that still had the performance edits to conform to the picture, so he had to meticulously open these back up to be able to present the cues as they were originally recorded.

Hey what?! You have two CD2? 

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I accept the labels are struggling financially through the pandemic, but they'd probably have more international purchases if their shipping rates were a bit more reasonable. I'm a die-hard JW fan and even I'm struggling to justify this purchase (especially when almost everything else I want from Intrada is out of stock).

Well, it's app. $ 12 to ship to Europe and OZ is literally at the ends of the Earth....but I feel your pain, brother😥😥

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's scary expensive shipping. :(  Is the rate more reasonable "per-capita" if you have a bunch of CDs in a single order? If so, I wonder if Intrada could put aside a copy of WOTW for you until all the other CDs you want are restocked.

Part of me wants to actually drive over to Intrada's offices in Oakland so I could A) let them know in person how grateful we all are for the amazing, indispensable work they do, and B) see if my idea above would actually be possible. (Of course, that's assuming they even receive random visitors, which they might not.)

26 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Sharp eye! Nah, I just moved over for the photo while I was ripping disc one.

A few notes:

@crumbs was right! Every version of ‘Reunion in Boston’ is here. In the main program, ‘Defeat and Reunion’ uses the C-major version (following the original introduction, as intended) and ‘Boston Street Finale’ is the Horn and Piano version. The OST has complete original 6M3 cue (‘The Separation of the Family’) and the film version that combines several different versions (‘The Reunion’). In the alternates section, ‘Boston Street Finale (Alternate No. 1)’ is 6M3 Alt, and ‘Boston Street Finale (Alternate No. 2)’ is 6M3 New. So all six versions are accounted for, but mercifully split up to avoid too much monotony.

The alternate ‘Prologue and Opening Montage’ has all the same synth material (1M2 Film Prologue), but includes some parts that were written but later removed for the version of the orchestral overlay (1M2 Prologue Orch.) used for the final version. For instance, the strings enter right from the beginning of the cue.

‘Before the Escape’ is indeed, as suspected, 2M4 CD Intro presented on its on.

The alternate ‘Epilogue’ appears to be just an alternate take, as far as I can tell. No significant differences in composition are jumping out at me so far.

And compared to the OST issue this edition 'sounds' superior and more clearer?

11 minutes ago, Amer said:

And compared to the OST issue this edition 'sounds' superior and more clearer?

I can’t say I had any complaints about the sound of the original OST. I don’t think any dramatic improvement in quality was really possible in this case, but everything sounds excellent so far.

2 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Sharp eye! Nah, I just moved over for the photo while I was ripping disc one.

A few notes:

@crumbs was right! Every version of ‘Reunion in Boston’ is here. In the main program, ‘Defeat and Reunion’ uses the C-major version (following the original introduction, as intended) and ‘Boston Street Finale’ is the Horn and Piano version. The OST has complete original 6M3 cue (‘The Separation of the Family’) and the film version that combines several different versions (‘The Reunion’). In the alternates section, ‘Boston Street Finale (Alternate No. 1)’ is 6M3 Alt, and ‘Boston Street Finale (Alternate No. 2)’ is 6M3 New. So all six versions are accounted for, but mercifully split up to avoid too much monotony.

The alternate ‘Prologue and Opening Montage’ has all the same synth material (1M2 Film Prologue), but includes some parts that were written but later removed for the version of the orchestral overlay (1M2 Prologue Orch.) used for the final version. For instance, the strings enter right from the beginning of the cue.

‘Before the Escape’ is indeed, as suspected, 2M4 CD Intro presented on its on.

The alternate ‘Epilogue’ appears to be just an alternate take, as far as I can tell. No significant differences in composition are jumping out at me so far.

On 10/5/2020 at 11:31 AM, Brundlefly said:

Four revisions, that's five versions in total:

Disc 1

22. Defeat and Reunion** • 2:35 = 6m3cmaj Reunion in Boston
23. Boston Street Finale** • 2:13 = 6m3hp Reunion in Boston (Horn & Piano Version)

Disc 2

10. The Separation of the Family • 2:37 = 6m3 Reunion in Boston

19. Boston Street Finale (Alternate No. 1)* • 2:03 = 6m3 Alt "Boston Street"
20. Boston Street Finale (Alternate No. 2)* • 2:00 = 6m3 New Reunion in Boston

I'm not a hundred percent sure about 6m3hp and 6m3cmaj which could be swapped (as well as 6m3 Alt and 6m3 New).

"Defeat" is certainly referring to the only once recorded opening of 6m3 which is probably attached to the first revision that appears in the main program in order to have it complete.

So my first guess was correct.

55 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

MINORITY REPORT is one of the best sounding CDs you can hear.

This is why I rarely Put any stock in fans opinions on sound quality!

If an expanded score was released as 128 kbps mp3s, people here would still claim it's got superior sound. :lol:

Judging by the photos in this thread, the artwork looks pretty great! I don't mind there not being a completely new cover. The "Music Composed and Conducted by John Williams" lettering looks much better, when it doesn't spread entirely from the right to the left.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It wasn't as bad as Minority Report or, worse yet, A.I., but it was definitely quite dull sounding.

Karol

AI.3CD had a fantastic quality upgrade which even left my DTS HD DVD-A behind. I think the WOTW recording has a wet sound. So, many of the dissonance and lower register instrruments were blended into each other. So this new edition appears to have more clarity (as far as I can tell from the samples)

3 hours ago, Amer said:

I think the WOTW recording has a wet sound. So, many of the dissonance and lower register instrruments were blended into each other. So this new edition appears to have more clarity (as far as I can tell from the samples)

Definitely, it is a very noticable departure from the sound of the OST.

There’s a very noticeable improvement in sound and the low end is especially more prominent. The timpani is effectively spread antiphonally too.

Yes that photo is great, Josh. It’s lifted from the end of the Blu-ray/DVD music feature which I would encourage you all to watch.

10 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

Yes that photo is great, Josh. It’s lifted from the end of the Blu-ray/DVD music feature which I would encourage you all to watch.

Yes, you're exactly right! As a matter of fact, I was watching that featurette yesterday, and made a screenshot of that moment myself.... :)

Love this, by the way. John Williams conducting "Escape from the City"... Just wow. Here it is: 

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

This *IS* a limited edition.

Well, it's not limited to a certain set number of copies is what I meant. 

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's nothing in the leak that isn't here.  Conversely, there's a bunch of music here that wasn't in the leak.

So, just like MR?  Sweet!  Can't wait to get this and dive into the score!

14 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, it's not limited to a certain set number of copies is what I meant. 

It is though, Intrada just doesn't tell us those numbers.  They stopped doing that a decade ago

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is though, Intrada just doesn't tell us those numbers.  They stopped doing that a decade ago

Oh. Better get it sooner than later, then!