WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

On 10/11/2020 at 5:15 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

It would be nice if you could order CDs and be able to order out of stock items (not OOP, just not available at the moment) at the same time so they could reserve items and prepare the order as items come back in stock. I wouldnt care to receive things way later (months even, as long as a I was 100% sure I would get them. I'm mean paying everything in advance of course. But it would save alot in shipping.

I think you might be surprised. I remember quite a few times being impressed with Intrada when I had to make some changes to previous orders. Worth a try anyway. They can only say no. 

My copy has just arrived to the Netherlands in less than a week from ordering. Extremely surprised it's here so quickly and a bit of a relief as my last transatlantic order took nearly 6 weeks to arrive! Looking forward to digging in to this, the package looks great.

So if I make a playlist of just disk 1 and the alternates on disk 2 , do I get all the music? Is there music exclusive to the OST presentation?

and there's absolutely no music on the recording sessions leaks that's not on this set?

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Is there music exclusive to the OST presentation?

The opening and closing narration, The Intersection Scene (without shrieking female chorus), and The Separation of the Family (an alternate version of Boston Street Finale).

5 minutes ago, King Mark said:

So if I make a playlist of just disk 1 and the alternates on disk 2 , do I get all the music? Is there music exclusive to the OST presentation?

and there's absolutely no music on the recording sessions leaks that's not on this set?

On 10/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, Jay said:

There's nothing in the leak that isn't here.  Conversely, there's a bunch of music here that wasn't in the leak.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:05 AM, BrotherSound said:

The OST has complete original 6M3 cue

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

The OST track "Separation of the Family" is the only place to hear the full original 6M3; The "Defeat and Reunion" track in the main program is the opening of 6M3 followed by the entirety of 6M3CMAJ, which is basically the same thing musically anyway

That's right

No one would have believed in the early years of the 21st century that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns, *they* observed and studied, the way a man with a microscope might scrutinize the creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency, men went to and fro about the globe, confident of our empire over this world. Yet across the gulf of space, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our planet with envious eyes and slowly, and surely, drew their plans against us.

Here's the original. Beautiful writing:

No ONE WOULD HAVE believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own: that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoriaa under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most, terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. 

My copy shipped almost instantly on Tuesday but no tracking updates since Wednesday. I wonder whether it'll just turn up as normal without any updates? Nothing in the mail today. Ah, well... :(

Karol

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/10/12/war-of-the-worlds-podcast/

Also available as a YouTube video:

Hope you'll like it, gents!

Thank you, that'll tide me over. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/10/12/war-of-the-worlds-podcast/

Also available as a YouTube video:

Hope you'll like it, gents!

Just finished listening - great stuff as always!

The trio spends the majority of the time talking about the film itself, but also discuss the artistry of the score for a while, as well as a little bit about the technical aspects of how it was recorded back then, and how it was restored now.

Some of the insights shared about the film itself are really fascinating and make you think about how much is going on under the surface of it.

One thing I never thought about before was how smart it was to not use the "Attacking The car" cue in the film, because that's a scene of the heroes being attacked by fellow man instead of the aliens, making the attack have a different feel when it's not scored.  I also really dug the analysis about the subdued nature of the score reflecting the aliens annihilating our memories of music along with everything else.

At the end they talk about when the next expanded Williams release might be, and talk a bit about Mike remastering the Amazing Stories theme for the new iteration of the show

The bit about the latest Pro Tools update supporting those 15-year old files, after everything Mike had to go through to assemble this set, really cracked me up... So typical. :lol:

Shame there probably won't be another Williams this year though (unless things change). :(

Karol

Yea that was funny!  And that update only came up recently too, after the booklet was locked, which is why it isn't mentioned in the tech note there

56 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Well there you go, thanks!  Was hoping it would've been a possible clue for a future release but that one's been tackled already. :)

But was it complete and from FIRST gen. Masters with no crossfades or combined cues and in strict chronological order with alternates and unused cues?

Huh?

😁

I kind  of liked the Pull Back Shot # 2 from the sessions isolated instead of Closing Montage, but there's a silence in the cue so I guess you could edit it  out if you want.

K.M. Who had deleted the sessions but dug out a old hard drive to check again

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

I kind  of liked the Pull Back Shot # 2 from the sessions isolated instead of Closing Montage, but there's a silence in the cue so I guess you could edit it  out if you want.

I think it's more powerful when you listen to #1 as a lead up to hearing #2.  It's only like 50 seconds long

I listened to it once and it sounds fantastic but In couldn't figure out the unreleased music that's not on the OST and the Sessions.

Is there a notable cue I should have noticed?

27 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I listened to it once and it sounds fantastic but In couldn't figure out the unreleased music that's not on the OST and the Sessions.

Is there a notable cue I should have noticed?

I believe the alternate Prologue is the most notable cue not in the session leak.

Can anyone explain what Mike meant when there was tension during the recording sessions - was that performance issues or timing or what?

Something bad enough for everyone to leave the room.

It was probably a screaming match between Spielberg and Williams. And Pope. And Shawn Murphy. And Kathleen Kennedy. And Tom Cruise. And leaders of the orchestra.

"You're stupid!"

"You're stupider!" ;)

Karol

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Can anyone explain what Mike meant when there was tension during the recording sessions - was that performance issues or timing or what?

Something bad enough for everyone to leave the room.

Probably union musicians demanding their tea break in the middle of a take.

Alright, so I finally finished the rest of the brilliant discussion and Mike does hint at the tension perhaps being caused by the necessity of multiple revised endings.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

The extended Escape from the City too.

I love to crank that out as I'm flying down the freeway!

I do this every time I commute! 

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

Intersection Scene choir, Ray and Rachel cue ending, Refugee Status cue ending, 6M2 New Insert, 6M3 Horn and Piano ending, alternate Prologue, the part of 6M2 that was replaced by 6M2 Insert in the film and OST and leak, alternate Epilogue

14 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it's more powerful when you listen to #1 as a lead up to hearing #2.  It's only like 50 seconds long

That's an interesting statement when taken out of context.

Just received my copy. Really getting a kick out of The Entrance To Boston alternate. Anyone else notice a certain motif from another franchise being previewed at 1:56. In parallel fifths, from the sound of it!

3 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Just received my copy. Really getting a kick out of The Entrance To Boston alternate. Anyone else notice a certain motif from another franchise being previewed at 1:56. In parallel fifths, from the sound of it!

March of the Resistance?