WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

On 10/21/2020 at 5:22 PM, Arpy said:

Not sure if this is scarier than missing teeth...

This is definitely scarier! This can potentially affect the music itself... 

Who cares about (artwork of) teeth? 😂 

Yup my c.d. 1 has scratches. Not as bad as the one pictured before but in the same general area.

I ripped it and there is bad skipping in the last few tracks.:(

Of course I knew 100% this was going to happen as soon as there was reports of some defective disks.

I asked SAE for a replacement we'll see what they say.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:13 AM, Taikomochi said:

Mine has a small scratch that doesn’t seem to affect playback. Just gonna leave it be.

Just make sure because the scratches on mine are small but the c.d. is skipping (badly) . The disk drive paused for several seconds and had trouble reading it. Used a soft cloth to clean it but doesn't go away

WotW.JPG

no. My PC can't rip the tracks  .

I have older c.d.'s that look a lot worst that rip correctly so it's not a normal scratch. More like little pits in the plastic

7 hours ago, rough cut said:

Maybe you need a new CD player?

Over the years, I have got several complaints from people that bought stuff from me via Ebay that CDs allegedly didn't play properly, whereas they did without any issues on my player, as long as I owned them. My usual response is, "have you tried another player?" and the reaction to that usually is, "oh, my fault, now it works!". So in many cases that is a good recommendation.

I tried ripping it twice on  my PC and the last 6 tracks skip badly. I don't  care if it works on a c.d. player that only reads c.d.'s and can't rip them

I 'm not sure why is anyone saying it's my fault

I'm trying again using Error Correction

Error Correction reduced the amount of skips but there are still a lot.

11 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

It's not your fault, its your drive's ;)

Thats pretty much what happened to me, and the CD is pristine.

Why would it only be this c.d. of all the expanded editions we got?  If your c.d. is pristine and skipping I think there's a more serious manufacturing issue with this disk.

Disk drives normally work, why would it be the drive's fault all of a sudden 

My PC is brand new and I ripped old and badly scratched c.d.'s fine

I dug out my old Windows 7 PC and it seems to have ripped it correctly but that doesn't reassure me fully as I don't think my new PC's disk drive is broken. 

I'll try ripping different c.d.'s with my new PC to see if the drive rips them properly. If it does it means the WotW c.d. is iffy and can work sometimes or sometimes not.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, King Mark said:

Yup my c.d. 1 has scratches. Not as bad as the one pictured before but in the same general area.

I ripped it and there is bad skipping in the last few tracks.:(

Of course I knew 100% this was going to happen as soon as there was reports of some defective disks.

I asked SAE for a replacement we'll see what they say.

That’s bad luck, to be sure. Sorry to hear it.😟 Given the number of people reporting the issue, you’ll unlikely to have any problem getting SAE to replace it. maybe you’ll get faster service by emailing Intrada instead, since that’s where SAE is getting their supply.

5 hours ago, Bayesian said:

That’s bad luck, to be sure. Sorry to hear it.😟 Given the number of people reporting the issue, you’ll unlikely to have any problem getting SAE to replace it. maybe you’ll get faster service by emailing Intrada instead, since that’s where SAE is getting their supply.

yeah SAE replied to me they'd send one but they have to get it from Intrada. I'll let them that care of it , they were very nice about it.

This might be an underlying issue affecting  many c.d.'s since my scratches aren't very big and SHOULD have played anyways

Hey @Arpy, I've never ordered from Intrada before (only LLL, whose packages always fly out of LA international).

Did your order go from Oakland Processing Facility > San Francisco International > Sydney? Really hoping it doesn't go from SF to LA.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Hey @Arpy, I've never ordered from Intrada before (only LLL, whose packages always fly out of LA international).

Did your order go from Oakland Processing Facility > San Francisco International > Sydney? Really hoping it doesn't go from SF to LA.

I'll have a look!

Edit: Yes, seems like it went that way, spent a day in Oakland, a day in San Fran and then off to Sydney, then Melbourne.

16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'll have a look!

Edit: Yes, seems like it went that way, spent a day in Oakland, a day in San Fran and then off to Sydney, then Melbourne.

Mine went from San Francisco International to Jamaica, NY and departed via JFK International, NY yesterday. 

16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'll have a look!

Great news! United still have daily flights from SFO-SYD so fingers crossed it reaches Sydney next week.

How long from shipping notice to arriving in your hands?

Update on ripping:

1-Current new computer :Last few tracks unrippable, skips like crazy.

2-Old Window 7 computer :Seemed to have ripped correctly but I haven't listened to all of it.

3-Other computer I found in another closet :  Did a better job than computer 1 but I heard some skips.

So 2 out of  my 3 working CD rom drives rip it with skips , now making it official the c.d. is defective.

1 hour ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

I heard they deliberately scratched up Josh's copy before sealing it.

And somebody deliberately put a hole in the condom your dad used... :P

So after some days living with this expansion, I can confirm that once again, Mike has done an amazing job with the presentation and the sound quality of the new release.

Everything is here, except maybe for that choir heard in The Ferry Scene in the movie, still wondering if it's tracked from another cue or if it's just a choir overlay recorded for the cue they chose to use in the movie (The Basket). In that case, releasing the overlay on its own track would maybe not be approved by Williams, do you have information about this @Jay?

As always, when releases like that come out, I have to open a music editing software and look at the waveforms and spectrograms, and from what I've seen, Mike seems to have used the original album master for some parts of the rebuilt OST on CD 2:

• 01 Prologue [2:30 - 2:53]
  • 04 The Intersection Scene [4:02 - 4:14]
  • 05 Ray And Rachel [0:00 - 0:04] and [1:10 - 1:17]
  • 06 Escape From The City [0:00 - 0:31]
  • 08 Refugee Status [1:40 - 1:42]
  • 11 The Confrontation With Ogilvy [0:00 - 0:33] and [3:00 - 4:34]
  • 13 Escape From The Basket [4:34 - 6:58]
  • 14 The Reunion [1:28 - 1:31] and [2:12 - 2:21]

Mike most likely had to use the album to fill some gaps where the performance, mix or edits were too different from what ended up on CD 1. However, I was still very surprised when I discovered this, knowing that Mike said both in the liner notes and in the video interview that he rebuilt everything and that he did not use the original album at all for the new release. This is confusing, did Mike forget about it, or did he just lie to us :D ?

No matter what happened, it's not a big deal anyway, the release contains everything, in consistent great sound quality so I'm not gonna complain too much about this.

22 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Everything is here, except maybe for that choir heard in The Ferry Scene in the movie, still wondering if it's tracked from another cue or if it's just a choir overlay recorded for the cue they chose to you use in the movie (The Basket). In that case, releasing the overlay on its own track would maybe not be approved by Williams, do you have information about this @Jay?

Assuming you're talking about the low male guttural choir, that's something the sound editors put in the ferry scene, not the music team. The sound guys either created it themselves or heavily modified some choir from "Aliens", but it was definitely on the sound effects stem and not the music stem. 

5 hours ago, Chewy said:

• 06 Escape From The City [0:00 - 0:31]

Ah, I thought I noticed an awkward volume drop right at 0:31 that is not present on the original album. It’s a shame because I love that album arrangement, even if it’s just looped, and was wanting it clean and remastered.

30 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Ah, I thought I noticed an awkward volume drop right at 0:31 that is not present on the original album. It’s a shame because I love that album arrangement, even if it’s just looped, and was wanting it clean and remastered.

Yeah I noticed that too, right at the transition between the OST master and the new source, not a clean edit.

Yeah we could probably use a full spreadsheet to sort stuff like that out and point out the alternates on the OST.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Is The Entrance to Boston (Alternate) the not microedited version of The Return to Boston or is there any other difference?

1. "The Entrance To Boston (Alternate)" = the original 6M2 Entrance to Boston {this is how Williams first wrote and recorded this cue}
  2. "The Return To Boston" = 6M2 Entrance to Boston with 6M2 Insert integrated (1:49-2:08), plus microedits {this is what the OST album did}
  3. "The Entrance To Boston" = 6M2 Entrance to Boston with 6M2 New Insert (1:16-1:38) and 6M2 Insert (1:51-2:11) both integrated {this is what the film does}

Okay, I'll go with the alternate on disc 2 as well as The Separation of the Family.

The only thing from the presentation which I do not understand is: Why did MM join Bodies in the Water with Ray and Rachel - these are two pieces which simply do not belong together, no matter how short the first one is.

I kinda get why he didn't join Boston Street Finale and Closing Montage, because that way you can insert the version of your choice in the main program.

Oh and I assume that the heavy bass in this score is intended and due to the arrangement of the orchestra in the recording studio?

The prominent hiss in some of the cues may not be intended, I figured.