WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) 2CD edition from Intrada Records 2020

crocodile

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Also, does anybody else enjoy literally any time we get to see recording session footage with the video screen up above the players showing the scene with the streamers and other markings rolling by over it?

Yes, those are always really interesting! I wish some of those could leak so we could see the exact footage some heavily microedited stuff was meant to accompany.

This film had a cool set of extras. I recently rewatched all of that on the new 4K Blu-ray. Which looks and sounds very good, too. Might actually give it another watch.

Karol

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yes, those are always really interesting! I wish some of those could leak so we could see the exact footage some heavily microedited stuff was meant to accompany.

Would love to see those video files for the Star Wars sequels; whatever Williams scored was clearly very different to the final cut on TFA/TROS.

Wow, interesting tracklist for disc 1!

1    Prologue and Opening Montage
2    "Is It Over"**
3    The Intersection Scene (Film Version)**
4    "What Happened"**
5    Escape from the City (Extended Version)**
6    Surveying Wreckage* / Watch the Lightning*
7    Bodies in the Water / Ray and Rachel**
8    Attacking The Car**
9    The Cafe
10    The Ferry Scene (Extended Version)**
11    Woods Walk*
12    Refugee Status (Extended Version)**
13    Reaching the Country
14    The Basement*
15    Harlin Ogilvy*
16    Probing The Basement (Extended Version)
17    Aliens*
18    Ogilvy's End*
19    Red Planet**
20    The Basket**
21    The Entrance to Boston**
22    The Separation Of The Family
23    Reunion in Boston**
24    Closing Montage**
25    Epilogue (Film Version)

So Epilogue is a Film Version, which presumably means the OST has an alternate take!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Film version, huh? Could it be the usual "virtually the same performance but technically different take" business?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Film version, huh? Could it be the usual "virtually the same performance but technically different take" business?

Yeah! That's the only explanation. Though strangely not designated with an asterisk... maybe that doesn't apply to alternates takes of previously released music? :o

I'll have to check what LLL did for Lumos! on POA.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow, interesting tracklist!

1    Prologue and Opening Montage
2    "Is It Over"**
3    The Intersection Scene (Film Version)**
4    "What Happened"**
5    Escape from the City (Extended Version)**
6    Surveying Wreckage* / Watch the Lightning*
7    Bodies in the Water / Ray and Rachel**
8    Attacking The Car**
9    The Cafe
10    The Ferry Scene (Extended Version)**
11    Woods Walk*
12    Refugee Status (Extended Version)**
13    Reaching the Country
14    The Basement*
15    Harlin Ogilvy*
16    Probing The Basement (Extended Version)
17    Aliens*
18    Ogilvy's End*
19    Red Planet**
20    The Basket**
24    Closing Montage**

So Epilogue is a Film Version, which presumably means the OST has an alternate take!

Where did you get this from?  It's not even accurate.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow, interesting tracklist for disc 1!

Disc 2 has to be OST plus alternates, right?

I'll make a place for it in my collection, it will be an opportunity to finally listen to this score with the attention it deserve. For neither do men live nor die in vain.

Nice news!

I think it will be the score in cd 1 and alternates and narration cues in the second cd which will be like 15-20 minutes. I dont think that they will put the full ost program this time.

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

24    Closing Montage**

Wait a minute... Is it my impression, or this is not in chronological order?

The Separation of the Family is that cue that plays when Tom Cruise's son goes join the fight, and his father lets him go, right? So what is it doing here at the ending of the album? It should've been between Reaching the Country and The Basement. 

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Separation of the Family is that cue that plays when Tom Cruise's son goes join the fight, and his father lets him go, right? So what is it doing here at the ending of the album? It should've been between Reaching the Country and The Basement. 

It must be the same content as the OST track, therefore the track title couldn't change. As @Holko said, that OST track is actually JW's original version of Reunion in Boston.

Interesting. But still it's an odd title. Why would JW call his cue "The Separation of the Family" when what is happening onscreen is the reunion of the family in Boston? It's weirder considering the family have already been separated earlier in the film. 

He named the cue "Reunion In Boston", the OST album presentation of that cue has a different title for unknown reasons, but most likely because the revised versions of that cue are ALSO on the OST album under the title "Reunion" so he, or someone else, came up with a different title to not have two tracks with "Reunion" in the title... the problem of course is that the new name they picked makes no sense!

I wonder if the film ending to The Ferry Scene is artificially extended or an insert/alternate take to the OST? I'd be impressed if they could artificially stretch the notes THAT far without serious distortion.

The track title says Extended Version but that could just be referencing the restored OST microedits.

15 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I love how Jay says the tracklist is wrong, then people still keep commenting on the erroneous tracklist like nothing's wrong.

@crumbs No fake news please!

What is happening?  Is Crumbs gaslighting us or is Jay gaslighting us?

It is just me or are the labels and MM tackling preferently the scores that had previous bootlegs and sessions leaked and or smaller expansions? (As a basis, not that it's an unbreakeable norm....) And then when that trend finishes we will be overun by unrelased music bombs for the rest of our lives....

I don't know - MV has always lamented bootlegs' effects on sales, so it would seem like a weird strategy to specifically target bootlegged titles.  All the same, I think I remember them say something about how the existence of the Academy Promo was a bargaining chip to get Williams interested in expanding AI, so maybe that's something that motivates JW to want to do things right.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It is just me or are the labels and MM tackling preferently the scores that had previous bootlegs and sessions leaked and or smaller expansions?

There does seem to be a concerted effort to supplant the modern session leaks with official releases (HP1, HP2, MR, SL, WOTW in just the last 2 years) but still plenty of older bootlegs to tick off. Crusade, Temple of Doom, Raiders, Hook, Sugarland and BOT4K all had leaks of varying quality, probably others. And still War Horse and KOCS more recently, but the LA factor... 

As @mstrox said, it might just be easier to get the ball rolling on bootlegged scores because Williams is big on curating his music. 

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Be patient, after "Born on the fourth of July", we'll be done with this "Tom Cuise" festival.

3 JW/Cruise expansions in under a year! I'm not sure if Cruise is personally involved in approvals of his likeness but the labels have hit a good patch there. 

It is

Technically Monday night, the 5th it will already be listed, but it is "officially" Tuesday the 6th

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is

Technically Monday night, the 5th it will already be listed, but it is "officially" Tuesday the 6th

Ah, okay.

Remnants of an early draft? ;):lick:

3 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Intrada did that earlier this year with The River with a running time of 79:32.

Yeah, that's true.

3 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Ah, okay.

Remnants of an early draft? ;):lick:

It's Jay's trademark proofreading, where he leaves one error as an easter egg to us. ;)

Seems like an odd choice to remaster a 15 year old soundtrack and include it on this release, or is it just me?  Just a way to fill up 2 discs of material? 

Just now, ATXHusker said:

Seems like an odd choice to remaster a 15 year old soundtrack and include it on this release, or is it just me?  Just a way to fill up 2 discs of material? 

I've heard Mike describe it as a way to include bonus tracks in interviews before. Probably easier to get approval if a second disc also presents Williams' original album assembly.

It covers some alternates, it doesn't take space away from anything else, the set would have had to have been 2 discs anyway, so why not.

Look at it this way - it was 2 discs of material anyway, and the OST fits on D2. 

I like it.  This preserves the composer's original presentation as part of a comprehensive discussion of the score.  Plus, I could theoretically get rid of the OST.

Crumbs, where on earth did u dig up a ever-so-slightly incorrect track listing?