Alan Silvestri's THE WITCHES (2020)

Disco Stu

I'm hoping this is more inspired than a lot of other Silvestri and Zemeckis we've gotten recently. The story certainly inspires a canvas of some size. Like you, Disco Stu, I have fond memories of the book. And the film is one of the few times in my life I went to the cinema with my mother, so I remember it well. Great score by Myers too.

I should point out that when I mentioned 'canvas of some size' earlier, I was talking about a canvas for Silvestri to score. I'm fairly certain the film will be a campy mess and miss. I mean, seriously, just look at the poster! A far cry from the gorgeous grainy textures and the subversive wit of the Nicholas Roeg movie.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm hoping this is more inspired than a lot of other Silvestri and Zemeckis we've gotten recently

I thought Silvestri's Marwen score was pretty good!  The end credits cue at least is a keeper as a nice medley of the themes.

Looks nothing like the borderline-horror film I remember from my childhood. What's with the candy coloured production design?

Visuals and CGI are as plastic as Tim Burton's godawful Charlie and the Chocolate Factory adaptation.

To be a fly on the wall in the COVID-times Skype meetings where they determine whether to dump their movies to streaming/VOD or delay for a year or more until the whole COVID thing shakes out

Movies are being released directly on TV now... Okay...

So, does it mean that scores will be released directly as Expanded scores?

:shakehead:

So far the ones pushed back to Q4 2020 or 2021 have obvious box office potential (Bond, Wonder Woman, Black Widow & the other MCU films, Fast and Furious, Top Gun, Ghostbusters, etc etc).  The ones that went straight to streaming or VOD instead of theaters probably wouldn't have broken any records anyway (Greyhound, Tesla, Ava, Mulan, Antebellum). 

I doubt The Witches' box office ceiling was very high and maybe now they get some HBO Max subscriptions out of it.  We like HBO Max - the software and interface is horrendous (it's ugly and purple, and it's also the streaming service we use that ever pauses to buffer), but there's some good content on there - we liked An American Pickle and Unpregnant, and that Anna Kendrick show - plus it's what we use for HBO's shows too since they took the old app away

I have HBO Max free through my ISP.  I liked HBO Max when I scrolled through it on my phone, but they don't have a Roku app so I haven't watched more than a few minutes of the first episode of Sesame Street on my phone.  Big Bird looked MESSED UP.

We're in the same boat, they removed HBO's old app off our Roku and there is no HBO Max Roku app, so now we have to fire up my Playstation 4 just to use HBO Max.  It's annoying, but not the end of the world.  Someday WB and Roku will resolve their disagreements

I have a dusty PS3, and not in the main TV room.  I'm gonna get a cheap used PS4 sometime after the 5 comes out.  I'm kind of a fairweather gamer, so it doesn't make a lot of financial sense for me to invest full price in a system on the promise of future games.  My PS4 shortlist is basically just Arkham Knight, Spider-man, TLOU2.  I'm kind of toodling my way through replays of the Arkham games right now, and when I beat Origins is when I'll probably up to a PS4.

I will buy a Switch on launch day of BOTW2, though.  I'm no monster.

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, we were mid-Watchmen when HBO-GO disappeared, so I had to buy a few episodes.  Peacock just worked out a deal with Roku, so hopefully HBOMAX will do the same

Yeah, I have to see Watchmen, with this naked hung black  blue man.

International poster is different.  I wonder if the OST cover will spring off this version

0zglb37xkoq51.jpg

Oh, and I just noticed this poster says the soundtrack album will be out on WaterTower Records, something the US poster doesn't mention

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You just know the final witch reveal will be some CGI piece of crap rather than tangible, textured makeup effects.

Yes I said earlier in this thread, it's going to be a real bad moment when Hathaway removes the mask to reveal a CG mocap thing.  Oh well.  Hope the score is good!

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh god not the "Re-imaginings" again

I think adapting books that have been adapted before is perfectly valid, personally.  It's a different category.  Like with the Coens' True Grit.  Not that this will be good, mind you.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think adapting books that have been adapted before is perfectly valid, personally.  It's a different category.  Like with the Coens' True Grit.  Not that this will be good, mind you.

Nah I meant that the term was used for the Burton Apes and the like.

it looks like it may open up to reveal a very scary mouth. I doubt they will go for something as extreme as Parasyte the Maxim. Or, for those unfamilar with anime, something like the demogorgon from Stranger Things. I guess the new Pennywise does something similar as well.

Anyway, I don't want it.

Unfortunately it looks like the dark elements of the original have been oversaturated in CG, nothing in the trailer hints at any of the things that made the earlier film terrifying. There's something about Zemeckis' recent stylings that make everything look like it was given a vaseline coating of CG, reminiscent of the mo-cap look of Polar Express.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh god not the "Re-imaginings" again

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think Holko was referring to the words used in the trailer

image.png

About Zemeckis mocap movies, I have a soft spot for Bewoulf, because that's the first film I watched all by myself in theaters at age 14. And a few months later I rewatched it and I Am Legend with a crush I had back then.