Alan Silvestri's THE WITCHES (2020)

Disco Stu

12 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Wha's the music in the trailer? Sounds like an attractive theme to me.

I think it's all "I'll be there" by the Four Tops, but turned into one of those unnecessary epic trailer single note versions at the end. I don't think it contains any of Silvestri's score (which is a bit odd as it's all finished as far as I'm aware).

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

As expected, witch design looks like lazy CGI shit:
new-the-witches-promo-bares-its-teeth.jp

I'm sure that lack of hair will really scare the children :sarcasm:

Looks like Fright Night, i like it.

fright_night.jpg

On 10/2/2020 at 4:22 PM, Thor said:

I'm hoping this is more inspired than a lot of other Silvestri and Zemeckis we've gotten recently.

Welcome to Marwen was really great.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm sure that lack of hair will really scare the children :sarcasm:

That’s from both the Dahl novel and the first movie.  One of the signs of a real witch is that they’re all bald and wear wigs.

4 hours ago, Obi said:

Looks like Fright Night, i like it.

I'm a big fan of Fright Night, the original.  Evil's de-transformation and death has to be one of the coolest practical effects sequences in movie history.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm a big fan of Fright Night, the original.  Evil's de-transformation and death has to be one of the coolest practical effects sequences in movie history.

I hate that studios are so averse to practical effects nowadays. Why not go practical with subtle CGI enhancements? So much more effective than purely CGI solutions.

The Thing remake being a perfect example of studio interference.

Sadly yeah, $$$$ is the reason. Practical effects require time to build, time to set up, and if it includes makeup on an actor; that's time to apply it on them EVERY day it is used. And these days, CGI is still often used to either enhance the practical effects or to better integrate them into the scene, albeit wire removal, etc. So, there's more time and money there, too. More people involved to do all of this, so that's more people to pay, longer time required to pay them all. Sure, digital effects take time... but it involves a smaller team on-set. The prep is much faster these days, and I'm sure for the scenes of the Witches in this case, the only "makeup" applied were dots on their heads to map the digital effects (if they even needed to). Much less time consuming. There are more people that work on the digital effects than there are actually on set, but many of those people can also be outsourced: and for cheap. It's a different schedule and setup than on a movie set. I am sure there are no crafts and services for people who just work on their computers to work on the film. And now since CGI has advanced a lot since its inception (we can complain all we want about how bad they can sometimes look, but nothing compares to bad 90s CGI in case people forgot it...), the modern audience either can't tell the difference... or doesn't care to. Hence, only special big movies like Star Wars and the like will probably ever have a taste of that golden era ever again. :(

I will actually challenge that CGI is always awful.

I would infact say this - CGI is only getting better and better. How do we know this? It is increasingly getting more pervasive and insidious. In the sense, even in your regular ordinary drama movies, there is so much CGI these days to alter backgrounds and scenes and what not, it is absolutely seamless and the audience is none-the-wiser.

The problem with something like The Witches is that it is so obviously impossible that her mouth would open that wide that your brain's uncanny valley reflex kicks in telling you that it is fake even though actually it looks about as real as it can.

CGI definitely has come a long way. Even something like LOTR, which was cutting edge in early 2000s looks very fake today.

Yep! And I am sure it will look even better by the next decade. I will say that LOTR has good and bad CGI moments.... a lot of it still holds up really well, or at least was done so artistically that even though you know it isn't real, it almost doesn't need to be.

But yeah, in the case of Witches, there is definitely that uncanny valley effect going on. After all this time and they still haven't mastered how to properly fix this problem, sometimes I wonder if they will ever be able to?

And that is a good point about CGI being used in things like dramas in ways people don't realize. Honestly, if it weren't for CGI, I doubt TV programs would look as good as they do today, because I think that is definitely another place CGI is used to make a smaller television production look much better than it would have with budgets of the past. Granted, those budgets have also increased since then, but they still aren't as costly as they nowadays appear. Except maybe Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance... damn, I really hope someone rescues that show...

used to watch the 1990 movie a lot as a child and just watched it again last night. I know there's always a certain chance to overhype things from your childhood, but I really think that the first 13 minutes – with the grandmother talking about her friend Erika and the death of the parents – are beautiful terrifying and very well made.

3 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

used to watch the 1990 movie a lot as a child and just watched it again last night. I know there's always a certain chance to overhype things from your childhood, but I really think that the first 13 minutes – with the grandmother talking about her friend Erika and the death of the parents – are beautiful terrifying and very well made.

Yeah it's one of those adaptations that really captures the spirit of the book.  One of only a couple of Dahl adaptations to do that successfully (spoiler: neither of the Wonkas do).

1 hour ago, lemoncurd said:

Of course it is. It's made by a master director! I saw the film up again a few years ago, and it held up wonderfully. No nostalgia necessary.

I agree that the original film still holds up mostly well! However, something that was ALWAYS annoying, even back then was... the kid that plays Luke. Sure he's cute and serviceable to the story, whatever... but his whining "GRAAAANNNNDDDDMMMMAAAAA" was obnoxious back then as it is now! LOL. Hahahaha.

Honestly, once he turns into a mouse he actually stops being annoying! LOL. He REALLY should have stayed that way like in the book! Hahaha.

Has anyone found a tracklist yet for this release (due in 3 days)?  I'm kind of surprised that WaterTower hasn't released a teaser track already, which they did for Wonder Woman 1984 and Ready Player One.

The movie seems so-so with a current 56% score on Rottentomatoes, but the score seems promissing:

Alan Silvestri's score is the only magical ingredient in this CGI-heavy potion. [Full Review in Spanish]

October 22, 2020 | Full Review…

1400x1400bb-60.jpg

1 Witches Are Real 2:25
2 My First Witch 3:45
3 What You Saw 3:07
4 Chickenafied 2:45
5 Enter the Witches 3:57
6 Grand High Witch 3:21
7 Witches 3:31
8 Instant Mouse 4:07
9 A Narrow Escape 4:40
10 Fourth Floor  3:13
11 It Can Be Very Dangerous 3:11
12 The Potion 3:56
13 Let's Make A Potion 3:58
14 The Mission 2:33
15 Soup Is On 2:45
16 Pigtails 3:29
17 A Stolen Key 3:27
18 Let Me Out 2:33
19 I Didn't Hear A Thing 3:08
20 Pea Soup 2:23
21 End Credits (The Witches) 5:54

TOTAL TIME - 1:12:08

You don't have to wonder what it sounds like, you can go press the play button and hear the samples right now

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't have that ability right now.

Me neither. Guess we'll have to wait untill tomorrow to hear the clips.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's there now

https://music.apple.com/au/album/the-witches-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1536667455

It must go by the timezone of one particular section of Australia.

I'm in daylight savings time (which varies between states on the eastern coast) so that could explain why it wasn't there at midnight for me (because it's an hour ahead of AEST).