http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/87708/

72 minutes

You're all I need Jay😍

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Googling is hard

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/87708/

72 minutes

So, not alot of unreleased stuff.

The new and improved mix ( if it is new) and the demos are the main sellng point, for me.

Holy shit! Ordered! It'll be great to have a legitimate expansion for this. Not gonna lie, the samples do sound a bit brickwalled to me, which I suppose is to be expected, but at least the program looks great! I can't imagine we'll be waiting much longer for the sequel scores either. I'm so glad the Powell gates have opened!

6 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Not gonna lie, the samples do sound a bit brickwalled to me, which I suppose is to be expected,

Right, it is a somewhat modern style score after all, it's not gonna be the unmastered sessions.

Just now, bruce marshall said:

So, no difference than the ost, Soundwise?😞

I haven't listened to the OST version in years, if at all.

I don't get the reasoning for keeping the same cover for a " Deluxe edition".

Don't the labels want to differentiate the editions especially when the ost is in print.

Disney commissioned new art for LION KING.

2 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

I haven't listened to the OST version in years, if at all.

Which version have you listened to?

FYC/Sessions.

Deluxe sounds like a slightly louder version of that.

Looking at the track times, it looks like Astrid Goes for a Spin might finally have the unreleased intro.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What makes you say that?  It's listed at 0:47 here but was 0:49 on the FYC

I got confused, I was comparing the track time of the "Astrid Goes" track to the track above it (Astrid Finds Toothless) thinking it was the version without that intro (for some reason the track title of the "Astrid Goes" on mine reads "Astrid Goes for a Spin2")

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Don't the labels want to differentiate the editions especially when the ost is in print.

I feel like a broken record on this issue.  The studios decide what covers we use.  Not us.  Sometimes they want a new cover other times they want what was used before.  We can send them any idea we want and they can shoot it down if they want.  It's their copyright, not ours in the end. 

57 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

I feel like a broken record on this issue.  The studios decide what covers we use.  Not us.  Sometimes they want a new cover other times they want what was used before.  We can send them any idea we want and they can shoot it down if they want.  It's their copyright, not ours in the end. 

Then, they're stupid! 😎

Wow, this is quite the sight to behold. 2020 may be hell, but Powell sure knows how to tide over fans in the meantime.

I wasn't the most impressed with the full score on first listen, given the usual issues with initial impressions and listening conditions. But giving it a go today did convince me to buy the release, given I figured it would only grow on me more with each listen. This is the first time I'm actually buying anything from VS, given I'd only have a couple LLL albums and Young Sherlock from Intrada. Given Powell likely supervised the release himself, I trust he knows what he's doing.

As for possible brickwalling: none of the sampled tracks really have any, though the volume certainly is at the point where some of the loudest moments are a tad clipped off. Hopefully the rest of it is as fine, given it's been a problem on a lot of Varese releases.

(Also, we really ought to make a post or thread with all of Bryon's answers as to avoid redundancy in the future.)

57 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm beyond thankful in the age of the decline of CD, that this was made available through Varese. It makes me wish that Solo had received a CD release too. 

It's conceivable Intrada might be granted a license for physical copies of this expansion in the future, if WDR aren't interested in pursuing one themselves.

They had no issue licencing out all 8 soundtracks for The Mandalorian to Mondo for vinyl, likely because they had no interest in doing it themselves.

11 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

When I was saying good things are coming I was not being hyperbolic. We approached John about expanding this and he was enthusiastic and excited about it. The cool thing about working with him is his studio does it all. He oversaw the sequence, chose the alts and demos, and mastered it.  Having this DE tie in with the book was an added plus.

You should have " forced" him to combine those short cues! 😆

😍

So JP has his own studio and assistants...

...and he used SEVEN orchestrators on HTTYD...

....plus arrangers and MIDI programmers....

And despite all these ' handicaps' , he produced a masterpiece.

Interesting.

My point?

No point. 😎

3 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I seriously worry you're gonna actually scare him off the website :blink:

I guess you're unfamiliar with the concept of EMOJIS...and irony?

29 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

The former producer liked hiring a guy who brickwalled everything. Cary and I work with folks who level properly. In the case of this, 5 Cat Studios oversaw the whole process. John is a joy and knows what he wants.

That is literally music to my ears.

I mentioned earlier how disappointing the sound was on the ost- I was far from the only one to feel this way.

Especially, for a score of this quality.

If you are implying that Powell was aware of this deficiency, and rectified it with this release, you have a grateful customer(s)!

😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Again Bruce there are samples on the website product page you can click right now to hear the new master

Just now, Jay said:

Again Bruce there are samples on the website product page you can click right now to hear the new master

Thanks. I listened and liked what I heard.

Just need to hear thru my stereo before I can make an informed decision.

I trust your judgement on the sound!

I have not said a thing about the sound - how could I, I have not listened to the samples yet.

You may be thinking of someone else. 

On 10/3/2020 at 2:57 PM, Jay said:

I have not said a thing about the sound - how could I, I have not listened to the samples yet.

You may be thinking of someone else. 

Are you a shapeshifter? 😆

😍

On 10/3/2020 at 4:47 AM, bruce marshall said:

It's especially frustrating since legendary Drew Struzan painted posters for all three movies.

the-hidden-world-poster-2.jpg

7251d2fae47292bda01199287c147abe.jpg

n1zzvmpe0jgg363saftk.jpg

That's neat! I thought he retired after the Star Wars prequels, outside the occasional piece like KOCS or the Comic-Con TFA teaser.

Such a shame Disney didn't hire him for all 3 sequels. The inconsistent key artwork on those films is yet another missed opportunity.

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Anyone have the FYC art?

I think the FYC was just a plain cover. However, there's some good alternative HTTYD artwork for the original and sequel scores. I also recommend a quite scout around this Pinterest page which has some excellent "fake" Disney Legacy style covers for both Disney and other (mostly) animated soundtracks. The one for Prince of Egypt is particularly superb I thought but it has a lovely HTTYD one too. https://www.pinterest.ca/landonwalliser/my-work/

6 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I think the FYC was just a plain cover. However, there's some good alternative HTTYD artwork for the original and sequel scores. I also recommend a quite scout around this Pinterest page which has some excellent "fake" Disney Legacy style covers for both Disney and other (mostly) animated soundtracks. The one for Prince of Egypt is particularly superb I thought but it has a lovely HTTYD one too. https://www.pinterest.ca/landonwalliser/my-work/

I printed out the cover and cut out a piece to make this spine:

1601840055036.jpg

It's a more realistic painting than the 'cartoonish' ones used.

TBH not crazy about the Struzan art

Might be a little early and presumptuous of me to think that this set will sell well judging by enthusiasm from across the web. I know casual score fans have picked this up along with the fervent HTTYD fandom.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Might be a little early and presumptuous of me to think that this set will sell well judging by enthusiasm from across the web. I know casual score fans have picked this up along with the fervent HTTYD fandom.

Agreed, indeed I'm surprised it's not a 5,000 edition... I certainly thought it best to get in there quick with my order, just in case. 

22 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agreed, indeed I'm surprised it's not a 5,000 edition... I certainly thought it best to get in there quick with my order, just in case. 

Dracula is still available as is AFO.  3,000 seems right. 

1 minute ago, BryonDavis said:

Dracula is still available as is AFO.  3,000 seems right. 

Ah fair... surprised Dracula still hasn't sold out! I just need JP to sign my new copy as he signed the copy of the original album for me when he did a talk at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago.