John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (2010) - 2020 Varese 2CD Deluxe Edition

Smaug The Iron

So I made a big doodoo mistake:

I ordered this from the US store in my haste in the early hours of the morning of the release. Then I ordered two more titles from the Shocktober sales and I'm guessing they're only available through the US store. 

Oh well, I guess it justifies the additional costs of shipping as I was ordering other titles from the US store anyway. Just gotta wait till the 16th now...

27 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Got mine. Wanted to rip it. 'No album info available in online database.' Again. I hate having to name tracks myself.

I'm doing it now. So time consuming! The price we pay for getting our CDs quickly I suppose?

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah... I'll wait for someone else to do it.

Well I'm doing it on EAC. Not sure if that means the info for disc 1 is now available for everyone?

I just realized Croc would have ordered from their international store while we ordered from their US one

47 minutes ago, Alan said:

The sound on this is awesome! What a great score. :music:

Nice! Do you know if the dynamics are better than the OST, which sounds in some parts, very loud?

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

There is a manufacturing delay in the US, right? They mentioned that in the initial club announcement.

Karol

I guess I forgot!

The product page says:

Estimated ship date of Oct 16th.  Any other titles ordered at the same time will be held and shipped together.

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/how-to-train-your-dragon-the-deluxe-edition-cd

Sorry, I misunderstood your post - I read too quickly and thought you said you were listening to the Deluxe Edition on Tidal.  

The OST is on Tidal here.

Really enjoying the liner notes. It's a nice behind the scenes overview focusing on how different ideas and themes came together. Very cool. And the overall package looks really nice too. :)

Karol

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Are you able to compare it to the ost?

53 minutes ago, Alan said:

I'm no expert by any means, but while this release does get plenty loud in places I always felt that I was getting all the detail without any distortion or clipping.

There actually seems to be some dynamic range! To my ears, it sounds noticeably better than the OST, at least the version on Tidal that I have been listening to.

57 minutes ago, Alan said:

I'm no expert by any means, but while this release does get plenty loud in places I always felt that I was getting all the detail without any distortion or clipping.

There actually seems to be some dynamic range! To my ears, it sounds noticeably better than the OST, at least the version on Tidal that I have been listening to.

Good, the OST is just relentlessly loud.

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

No, I wanted to know if the new tracks have any " flubs"

Not on Powell's watch.

Yeah the promo files sounded more natural, too. Although I think their dynamic range was a bit... too dynamic? Haha. I believe in a more balanced approach. The OST was overdone, though.

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm no expert either. To my completely layman ears the original album sounded too "pumped" to me. This sounds bit gentler. Less Zimmerish and more symphonic (if that makes sense).

Karol

There was a lack of clarity in the mix.

The dynamics were off.

It sounded like they did one quick mix and threw it on CD.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

...I hear more fine detail and the instrument sections don't feel as clumped together in one big mass. .

Karol

Right! THAT was the main problem, to my ears!

Hopefully this one corrects that problem

Yeah, I didn't buy it really for the new music either, since it has all been... out there already (at least I don't think this has anything that wasn't?). But I wanted to support this release and like others see if the sound quality is improved; happy to hear it is! I also want to support this release because hopefully it will inspire one for the sequels, if they aren't already in the works... There's definitely stuff from those that hasn't been out there that I would definitely love to hear.

I think the second score benefits the most from the unreleased music, but this is worth buying to get the entire score in great sound, and hopefully signal that we want the rest.

I haven't seen the third film, so have no idea what is unreleased except the couple of tracks on the FYC.

Oh yeah, this was still a no-brainer purchase even without motives if the sound alone is improved! This is my favorite score from Powell, for sure! Well... tied with Solo, but that is basically a joint score with Williams. ;) Which is not a bad thing at all! I WANT MORE! lol. For that reason alone there should be a Solo 2.

Yeah, HTTYD 2 definitely had more music that even the FYC didn't fulfill. Even Jonsi's stuff for that one had unreleased instrumentals, and since the song for that film was basically a roided up version of the main theme, it's in the "gotta have" material! :D And yea, as stated, the third film was nearly complete on the OST, so that one is the least needed for an expansion.

8 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Oh yeah, this was still a no-brainer purchase even without motives if the sound alone is improved! This is my favorite score from Powell, for sure! Well... tied with Solo, but that is basically a joint score with Williams. ;) Which is not a bad thing at all! I WANT MORE! lol. For that reason alone there should be a Solo 2.

Yeah, HTTYD 2 definitely had more music that even the FYC didn't fulfill. Even Jonsi's stuff for that one had unreleased instrumentals, and since the song for that film was basically a roided up version of the main theme, it's in the "gotta have" material! :D And yea, as stated, the third film was nearly complete on the OST, so that one is the least needed for an expansion.

IIIRC Powell contributed to the Jonsi song in 2.

There are some interesting demos for that score as well, which can be heard in several videos on youtube from around the timeframe of the films release (ads, clips etc.), most notably the "first 10-20 minutes" preview, including an alternate version of the Jonsi song.

Yeah, you're right! I have heard some of them, too. There are some unofficial edits of this score out there, but most are riddled with sfx of course for that kind of material. That's why if there is a expanded release for the sequel I REALLY hope it includes that kind of material, because to me it is part of the score.

If properly presented, the song should appear at least 3 times: second track with the orchestral sudden ending; instrumental opening+rest for the finale, maybe the album edit, maybe the demo/early version?

Well, I rewatched the movie, and the second one too, I didn't think my hype for this could have reached any higher. And then I listened to the Art of the Score episode. Holy crap this can't get here fast enough.

On 10/7/2020 at 12:03 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, it's of course subjective. I wonder what @Thor thinks. :sarcasm:

I may have to get this then, but I just found it exhausting to listen to the OST.

Thor's an old curmudgeon who doesn't get why the youngins are so keen on this score.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:25 PM, scallenger said:

I LOVE that film version with the sudden orchestral ending you mentioned... it's such an exciting yet unexpected way to conclude it!

I'm very partial to the pre-credits instrumental. That buildup!

Oh, and it'd probably need to include Into a Fantasy too to be definitive.