John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (2010) - 2020 Varese 2CD Deluxe Edition

Smaug The Iron

15 hours ago, Holko said:

Well, I rewatched the movie, and the second one too, I didn't think my hype for this could have reached any higher. And then I listened to the Art of the Score episode. Holy crap this can't get here fast enough.

I listened to the AOTS episode a couple of weeks ago and totally re-discovered random bits, like the ending of New Tail! Masterpiece.

My copy just arrived :) I'm noticing that Varese tends to send their dispatch e-mail the afternoon before they actually send it, and that it takes two days for delivery. Still, much faster than waiting for it to cross the pond.

As I was hoping, the combined cues have space between them - I always liked having the opening and march sections of Ths Is Berk separate from the promo.

Pretty much the only thing I don't like is Jonsi's song.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

As I was hoping, the combined cues have space between them - I always liked having the opening and march sections of Ths Is Berk separate from the promo.

Nice, I'M used to there being a little breather there too. Also makes it easier to switch it out for the other version of the opening if you so prefer!

Can anyone tell me how is the sound quality compared the FYC? Is the mix on the FYC still better than on the new edition?

I want to skip the deluxe edition possibly, because the FYC doesn't have that song and I like the better artwork. How about the booklet of the deluxe edition?

The FYC was unmastered, right?

8 hours ago, ckappes said:

Can anyone tell me how is the sound quality compared the FYC? Is the mix on the FYC still better than on the new edition?

I want to skip the deluxe edition possibly, because the FYC doesn't have that song and I like the better artwork. How about the booklet of the deluxe edition?

Can't you just unsync the song from your playlist? Or skip it?

17 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

There's_Three_Actually_Banner.jpg

You know what's always bugged me about this meme? It's not proper English.

You'd never say "There is three, actually." "There are three, actually." Scriptwriters...

On 10/9/2020 at 8:29 PM, ckappes said:

Geht mir genauso. :D

I am still waiting for mine in the mail (in the States), but someone I know allowed me to preview their copy in the meantime. I can definitely concur with Tom that this score sounds incredible on this release! Probably is the best it has ever sounded! I do think the sessions were a bit quieter and not as balanced compared to this, so this release is definitely an improvement over that from what I can remember! Regardless, this is the perfect presentation of the score... although I think the demos at the end are one of those curiosity listens that are fun to hear once, then never again. For demos they sound really good, but they basically just sound like deflated versions of what you hear beforehand and aren't MUCH different (like an alternate would be) otherwise. However, I can see why they added them to give more bang for the buck to take up space on a second disc, so this isn't a complaint at all; just don't want people to get too excited for those who had never heard them. I think sessions had more of these demos, but again it was basically just like listening to a flatter version of the whole score anyway.

Again, I REALLY hope people get this release so the chances of them doing the sequel scores will go way up! :D

42 minutes ago, scallenger said:

. I think sessions had more of these demos, but again it was basically just like listening to a flatter version of the whole score anyway.

There are actually some demos that were a much different than the ones on the set.

For instance a completely different opening logo cue, and a couple of taceted/dropped moments.

4 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Huh, that's curious! I wonder why those weren't considered instead? Would have been a little more interesting at least. Oh well.

I almost wonder if Powell sent some of the wrong versions accidentally, or something.

For example See You Tomorrow has a different demo with an extra intro bar, and a statement of the theme from the opening of Kill Ring, instead of (or interpolated with) the Test Drive/Flying/Friendship theme

Wow, spreading a wide image over the back of the booklet and the tray is a great idea!

Huh, the Deluxe strip is not on the cover? Interesting.

How long do Intrada usually take to stock other labels' items? Still says HTTYD is on backorder, but figured it made sense to pick this up alongside WOTW via Intrada (just to save on shipping).

Shipped! And having, er, sampled this album already, I can say that to me it sounds fine. Louder than I would have made it, certainly, but more than good enough. Very bass-y, but the brass only occasionally becomes too much. Also, the assembly is damn near perfect. Assuming Powell gives the sequel scores the same treatment, they'll both be day one purchases for me as well.

I'd be surprised if #3 got the same treatment, as I understand the album is nearly complete as it is, and I think it plays really well.

Definitely want one for #2, especially as someone mentioned that they thought that the FYC wasn't complete. The fact that Solo is getting a complete release so soon after it first came out gives promise that perhaps we could at least get a digital version.

There's a few cues missing from 3 that I was upset weren't included, some great statements of the new themes.

I think if they do 2 and 3, they'd be digital releases unless Powell could find a way to get Sony and Backlot to produce them. 

But for CD production and whatnot, he'd have to go through the studios, right? Perhaps Powell's relationship with Varese helped get this set underway.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Couldn't Varese or the others license them out like any other score? They were London I think.

The HTTYD2 OST was issued by Relativity Music Group (a subsidiary of UMG), so they own the mechanical rights to release (any form of) the score. DreamWorks Animation owns all the music that wasn't on the OST. A label would have to get licenses from both entities to make an expansion happen. It's possible for Varese to do this, or any of our specialty labels. 

HTTYD3 is different. That OST was issued by Back Lot Music - a subsidiary of Universal Pictures. So the same company owns the mechanical rights AND all the music that wasn't on the OST. Theoretically it's possible for them to license out rights to a specialty label, but that doesn't really happen. More than likely is that someone within Back Lot would have to be interested in making an expansion happen and then it would come out on the Back Lot label. 

The whole LA vs overseas thing is a separate issue not related to the ability to get a license at all. All that issue means is post 2005 scores cost more. So there's nothing preventing a specialty label from getting a license to, I dunno, Memoirs of a Geisha, it's just that the amount of money they'd have to spend on union fees would be too much for it to be worthwhile to get the license and do the work

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

The HTTYD2 OST was issued by Relativity Music Group (a subsidiary of UMG), so they own the mechanical rights to release (any form of) the score. DreamWorks Animation owns all the music that wasn't on the OST. A label would have to get licenses from both entities to make an expansion happen. It's possible for Varese to do this, or any of our specialty labels. 

HTTYD3 is different. That OST was issued by Back Lot Music - a subsidiary of Universal Pictures. So the same company owns the mechanical rights AND all the music that wasn't on the OST. Theoretically it's possible for them to license out rights to a specialty label, but that doesn't really happen. More than likely is that someone within Back Lot would have to be interested in making an expansion happen and then it would come out on the Back Lot label. 

The whole LA vs overseas thing is a separate issue not related to the ability to get a license at all. All that issue means is post 2005 scores cost more. So there's nothing preventing a specialty label from getting a license to, I dunno, Memoirs of a Geisha, it's just that the amount of money they'd have to spend on union fees would be too much for it to be possible. 

I thought the second score was technically a Fox title? It's funny how each film was distributed by a completely different studio (Paramount, Fox and Universal, respectively).

Karol

Fox distributed HTTYD2 but I don't know if that means they have to be involved in a score expansion or not.  The 1st gen elements would be in Dreamworks' vaults, not Fox's vaults

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The whole LA vs overseas thing is a separate issue not related to the ability to get a license at all. All that issue means is post 2005 scores cost more. So there's nothing preventing a specialty label from getting a license to, I dunno, Memoirs of a Geisha, it's just that the amount of money they'd have to spend on union fees would be too much for it to be worthwhile to get the license and do the work

One might hope that the composer being interested in producing expanded albums at no particular cost or effort to the studio shouldn't be especially challenging. I mean, if he can persuade Disney to go for Solo, anything is possible given how precious they probably are about their property, especially Star Wars, even if Solo itself was something of a flop. But yes, weird each film was a different studio.

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

Fox distributed HTTYD2 but I don't know if that means they have to be involved in a score expansion or not.  The 1st gen elements would be in Dreamworks' vaults, not Fox's vaults

Ah I see. Makes sense.

Karol

I just noticed drew struzan made some uncomissioned arwork for the trilogy. Maybe someone wants to make covers with them. (This is not a request, just a heads up for someone interested because these are a year old and i just found them on the net...so..)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-drew-struzan-did-three-incredible-posters-fo-1831875051

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I just noticed drew struzan made some uncomissioned arwork for the trilogy. Maybe someone wants to make covers with them. (This is not a request, just a heads up for someone interested because these are a year old and i just found them on the net...so..)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-drew-struzan-did-three-incredible-posters-fo-1831875051

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32948-john-powells-how-to-train-your-dragon-2010-2020-varese-2cd-deluxe-edition/&do=findComment&comment=1747372

Mine came in today! Unfortunately I'm in for a big move soon so I have no idea when I'll have time to listen to it. Maybe while unpacking! 

The reviews here have been glowing. Looking forward to it.

Can anyone identify what the theme at 2:27 of This is Berk/Dragon Battle represents? Is this just a variation of the "viking warrior" theme (first heard at the 0:00 and full statement at 1:27)? 

Also what do you think the theme at 1:49 of the same track is? I've always assumed it was stoick's theme since you hear it for the first time when he is on screen, or maybe it could just be the viking warrior B theme. It probably isn't stoicks theme since it also appears at times when stoick is not present, and even during the armada battle in Hidden World. 

11 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Got my set!

Here are the theme explanations from the booklet:

Booklet names on the left, previously known as names on right

Relationship between Hiccup and Toothless/Flight/Main Theme = Friendship/Flying Theme/"Test Drive"

Friendship Arpeggio = Friendship Ostinato

Viking Fun theme = Berk Theme (This is Berk, New Tail, Astrid Goes for a Spin)

Viking Warrior Theme = Viking Theme (This Is Berk (Original Opening Version), Dragon Training)

Viking Aspirational Tune/Enlightenment/Winds of Change = Hiccup's Theme (This is Berk, War Room, Kill Ring, Over)

Love Theme = Romantic Flight

Dragon Theme = Dragon Theme (This Is Berk, Dragons Den, Over / Less Okay, Wings, Counter Attack.)

Fate Theme/Hope for the Future = Training Theme/See You Tomorrow Theme (Training Out There, See You Tomorrow, Ready / Confront)

How about the Viking theme just before Astrid enters in Dragon Battle and early in Ready The Ships?

Does Astrid Goes For A Spin have the leading note? And See You Tomorrow the extended percussion opening?

46 minutes ago, Holko said:

How about the Viking theme just before Astrid enters in Dragon Battle and early in Ready The Ships?

Well there's the one at 2:28 on "this is Berk". As @Spider-Fal said, that might be a variation of the Viking warrior theme, which would make it redundant to mention in the booklet. 

Or are you talking about the one at 2:43 that comes immediately before the love theme first appears? That's just another statement of the "viking warrior" theme.