John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (2010) - 2020 Varese 2CD Deluxe Edition

Smaug The Iron

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah, I use 'Filename to Tag' in Mp3Tag, just be nice if I didn't have to :)

Ah okay.

MP3 tag can be a lifesaver, removing track numbers, composer names, adding accents, changing  - to  /  and vice versa etc.

Just finishing this set. I was really surprised to discover something in those demos. What I love is that you can clearly hear the higher instruments playing every single note, whereas if a real orchestra does it, you often don't hear all those little things.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:47 AM, Jay said:

The HTTYD2 OST was issued by Relativity Music Group (a subsidiary of UMG), so they own the mechanical rights to release (any form of) the score. DreamWorks Animation owns all the music that wasn't on the OST. A label would have to get licenses from both entities to make an expansion happen. It's possible for Varese to do this, or any of our specialty labels. 

HTTYD3 is different. That OST was issued by Back Lot Music - a subsidiary of Universal Pictures. So the same company owns the mechanical rights AND all the music that wasn't on the OST. Theoretically it's possible for them to license out rights to a specialty label, but that doesn't really happen. More than likely is that someone within Back Lot would have to be interested in making an expansion happen and then it would come out on the Back Lot label. 

The whole LA vs overseas thing is a separate issue not related to the ability to get a license at all. All that issue means is post 2005 scores cost more. So there's nothing preventing a specialty label from getting a license to, I dunno, Memoirs of a Geisha, it's just that the amount of money they'd have to spend on union fees would be too much for it to be worthwhile to get the license and do the work

Relativity Music was part of the film company that went famously bankrupt a couple years back  (Google Ryan Kavanaugh).  Looks like, yes, UMG controls the rights but is only the licensee (looks like since Relativity went BK they were part of UMG's subsidiary Ingrooves as a 3rd party label distribution deal so UMG may have the rights because they have the product and handled digital rights).  In the end, any expansion would most likely need to be a manufacturing deal with UMG (similar to the ones you see where a 2-CD set has one disc from the original album and the second or more containing the expansion) for those rights and the rest has to be licensed from Universal Pictures (and both companies are not related as you all know).

6 hours ago, BryonDavis said:

The CD is out of print but digital is still available so the question is who bought the rights to the Relativity Films music label catalog?

It's still available, courtesy of Sony Classical.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K613XMU/

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's still available, courtesy of Sony Classical.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K613XMU/

Is that a jewel case edition?  £5.64 is temping if so...

Sealed copies of the US Relativity Music (digipak) edition are going for $50!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLKHTCW

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Is that a jewel case edition?  £5.64 is temping if so...

You don't like digipaks either? I don't know if it's a jewel case edition, but from the square format of the front cover I'd say it's likely a jewel case, unless the picture is from the front of the booklet.

I've really been enjoying this release!  It took me a decade, but I feel like I'm finally picking up everything Powell's putting down with this score.

So I figured hey, maybe I'll re-watch the first film, and finally see for the first time the 2nd and 3rd films.  Had a laugh when I checked out Just Watch

HTTYD1 is streaming on Amazon Prime

HTTYD2 is streaming on Netflix

HTTYD3 is streaming on Hulu

You cannot sit down and use one service to watch all three.  Luckily we have those 3 services, but seriously...

Not missing much.

Unlike the previous ones, this has an excess of filler, an idea of where to end but no idea how to get there, a terrible bland cliche villain, it makes Toothless into an unlikeable jerk, it doesn't follow through on setups from the first 2, it's very bland visually, and the ending is incredibly disappointingly stupidly reasoned and 100% unearned. The series did not manage to grow up with its target audience.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I definitely did not purchase a 3D TV nor a 3D Blu Ray player.  3D is just not for me

Agreed. It just doesn’t work at tv scale. It’s like watching live subbutio football players running around. 

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agreed. It just doesn’t work at tv scale. It’s like watching live subbutio football players running around. 

That is why I have a front projector in the living room :-). 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I definitely did not purchase a 3D TV nor a 3D Blu Ray player.  3D is just not for me

After my first cinema experiences I thought that too. But when I found that my new projector has 3D capability, I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoy 3D at home much more than at the cinema, I don’t know why. Now I have a collection of 80 3D movies; at least 50 of them I regard as a clear advantage over the 2D version, like the HTTYD movies and most other DreamWorks animations, but also several recent Marvel movies. Others, not so much like the last 2 Harry Potters.

In my opinion, the first has an even distribution of humour and quotable lines through all the characters, where the second film basically just focused on Hiccup, Toothless, and the parents.

The third was kind of subdued.

7 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I 100% disagree. After an uneven second installment, the third film brought so much warmth and heart to the table that I reevaluated the whole trilogy. It’s a great ending and Powell’s incredible score reflects that.

Really? "Oh no, another problem we kind of easily overcame, let's just give up forever." "I have a best friend ever, I became the Alpha of my group, I protect them and take care of the- oh my, is that some sweet pussy? Fuck all them, I have a girlfriend now, I'll even growl at my best friend ever when he asks me for help."

Maybe if the danger came from inside, like they were going around showing others he Dragom Rider way and how good it is, but then it turns out the mum and many riders are more radical and not afraid to kill people or at least let them die or something if they don't agree - and this time the dragons are not under some potion or hypnotisation that can be overcome by a better alpha, it really is bad or not great people making good dragons do bad things. Now THAT I could see leading to a climax where they decide all dragons must just be sent away, we're not good enough for them.

11 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The Hidden World Theme is ace! I often revisit that score and marvel at how Powell was able to bring the trilogy together and consistently deliver such brilliant music. It's a great musical tapestry that I don't think most animated films are afforded.

Agreed. I was surprised that it took me a number of listens to really get into it. I don't think it helps that the first few tracks aren't the strongest, but once it hits its stride, it's terrific. Sometimes I can't hear some of the original themes without then hearing them segue into some of the Hidden World themes. The dragon romance cues and the finale track in particularly is absolutely magical, that modal choral writing is wonderful. I enjoyed the film, but I think my enjoyment of the scores slightly coloured my view of it, but I'd like to watch them all again at some point as they are still a pretty strong series of movies.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks for the updated info.

So.... does that mean a HTTYD2 Deluxe Edition is forthcoming by Varese? :P 

Not at this time.

22 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yes, I believe Sony Classical was the distributor for the CD over here in Australia too.

Relativity may have had worldwide rights but it's a good bet Sony controls it outside the USA.

Unsure if it's been reported before, but Powell said in a FB comment that this release will be available for some form of digital purchase/streaming in December.

The fact that it will get a digital release was reported on day 1:

On 10/3/2020 at 8:39 AM, Smaug The Iron said:

Powell confirms that it will get a digital release. 

Screenshot_20201003-143626.png

But the "December" part is new information as far as I know!

The booklet has great quotes from the directors!

It doesn't actually go into as much of a thematic enumeration, breakdown and definite naming as I thought from Faleel's post. I will happily continue calling the Berk theme the Berk theme and the Friendship Arpeggio the Night Fury theme.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

It doesn't actually go into as much of a thematic enumeration, breakdown and definite naming as I thought from Faleel's post. I will happily continue calling the Berk theme the Berk theme and the Friendship Arpeggio the Night Fury theme.

Yeah, surprised it wasn't that obvious, what with all the slashes ("/") seperating "alternate" names...

10 hours ago, Holko said:

With all these quotes, this is actually the most I've EVER enjoyed reading the liner notes for an expanded soundtrack. There's amazing lessons in there about the fundamentals of the art of film scoring. And a great demonstration of how filmmakers can COLLABORATE with a composer - not just hand the film over to them. I loved the line about building "houses" for music in a film.

I never heard this score before, it's a ton of fun, I'm excited to have it!

When I opened the shrinkwrap, the case had a little piece missing on the side, and fingerprints all over it (despite being sealed), plus a leftover remnant of a peeled-off sticker along the top, like you'd see on a store-bought CD. Seems like they put the inserts and disks into a used 2CD jewel case?? And then added shrinkwrap over it. Very weird.

By then I was thinking "not another one! Ah, all these scenes are about taming friendly dragons, let's just call it that." I already had to record myself humming some of them and play them back until I finally learned which one's Stoick, Heroic and Warrior!   :lol:

Hooray for another theme analysis!  I admit this score never FULLY clicked with me (for a decade now!) until we started talking about the themes last week and I re-listened and just "got it" finally.

I am curious though, Holko, when you talk about theme names, are you saying you fundamentally disagree with the names/designations Grieving used for the booklet, or are you saying you are sure he's right, but can't undo in your brain the names you've been using for a decade?

I did adapt some of them! Like Fate and Winds of Change. But something like Berk just feels so Berk, and I already had Heroic Viking and Warrior Viking, no need for a Fun Viking to be more confusing. Also I listed a lot more of them that I named myself, and he doesn't list his out with definitive names anyway, so I felt comfortable doing this mishmash.

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

I did adapt some of them! Like Fate and Winds of Change. But something like Berk just feels so Berk, and I already had Heroic Viking and Warrior Viking, no need for a Fun Viking to be more confusing. Also I listed a lot more of them that I named myself, and he doesn't list his out with definitive names anyway, so I felt comfortable doing this mishmash.

Very cool analysis, I'll have to sit and listen along at the weekend. Cheers!

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

Berk just feels so Berk,

Aside from the fact it disapears halfway through the film, and probably appears apart from Berk in later films