John Powell's HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON (2010) - 2020 Varese 2CD Deluxe Edition

Smaug The Iron

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Sshhhh

I don't think it shows up much apart from the intro in the others, actually.

Should I Know You.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Stoick: 3, The Vikings Have Their Tea alternate (D2T11) 0:49-1:24(?)

A grim and stout one, AA'BBCD+, doesn't play enough time to truly tell what's still part of it, where it ends. Interestingly, its A is Winds of Change(Hiccup)'s A with a descending end rather than ascending.

This description is actually pretty revelatory for me. I've always thought of this as Stoick's theme until I saw it described in the booklet as a part of the "viking warrior" theme. 

I never noticed the similarity to the "winds of change" theme until you pointed it out. It makes perfect sense now that they could serve as father/son themes because of how similar they are, where one is more gentle/friendly and the other is more tough/stubborn. From now on I'll think of them as "winds of change (Hiccup)" and "viking warrior 2 (Stoick)" haha 

Thinking about how this theme appears in HTTYD 2 in moments where stoick isn't present made me second guess calling it stoick's theme at first... But seeing how it's used in very heroic moments for Hiccup ("Drago Battle," "Armada Battle") it could represent Hiccup taking his fathers place and inheriting his heroism/cheifdom. 

Thanks for this analysis! Hopefully we get complete versions of the other 2 scores so we can get some more in depth analysis like this. 

I never really noticed it wither until now! ;)

Yeah I'd definitely love 2 and would do the same for it. Maybe even 3.

You know what, @Spider-Fal, I thought on it more and decided to revert to Viking Fun and Viking Warrior 2 for the default names after all. Not insignificantly because Powell says in the booklet that he prefers writing themes for more abstract ideas (that may still be represented by a specific character or place) than strictly for specific characters of places.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The sound mixing in impeccable in this film.  The music is EXTREMELY well spotted, coming in at the right time, and stepping back when a scene needs to speak for itself at the right time.  And when the music IS playing, it was always perfectly mixed into the entire sound bed.  This isn't something I particularly notice in a film, but here I noticed after a while that I was never hearing any awkward dips for dialogue, or increases for some majestic scene, it seemed to continually be organically integrated into the film the entire time.  Expertly done!

I thought some parts were mixed kinda low on my last watch, I could only follow what a cue or two was doing in some spots was because I know the score inside out and could fill it in. And there's also the anecdote that the directors told Powell not to worry about working around dialogue, just lay down a wall of sound as he pleases and they have faders for when they need it. Otherwise, totally agree with your post!

I feel the same way.

I don't like how they presented the new opening as the first track of the main program, where it just kinda stops, and then track 2 is the original opening along with the rest of the cue.  You hear 2 similar pieces of music back to back, it's weird!

I think they should have properly edited the new opening into the rest of the original The Is Berk, and then the bonus track should have been the entire original This Is Berk.  That way the listener can choose either version they prefer as their program opener in their music player of choice.

I like it as it is, but I've never heard it any other way. The first track feels like a musical "prologue" much like Williams' OST tracks of that name on the OSTs of Hook or HP1. I don't feel they're similar enough to be repetitive.

The alternate opening is nice, but just as as an alternate take. I agree that they should've put the film version with the rest of the track, although leaving a gap was a good call. I always liked having a pause before the driving string opening.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The alternate opening is nice, but just as as an alternate take. I agree that they should've put the film version with the rest of the track, although leaving a gap was a good call. I always liked having a pause before the driving string opening.

Well, that's just there because it's  how it was written, and appears in the film.

I'm confused.....

The film opens with the four note horn theme- as on track one. Why is this called " alternate film theme".?

On 11/10/2020 at 9:07 AM, Jay said:

I feel the same way.

I don't like how they presented the new opening as the first track of the main program, where it just kinda stops, and then track 2 is the original opening along with the rest of the cue.  You hear 2 similar pieces of music back to back, it's weird!

I think they should have properly edited the new opening into the rest of the original The Is Berk, and then the bonus track should have been the entire original This Is Berk.  That way the listener can choose either version they prefer as their program opener in their music player of choice.

The first track is the film opening.

And a great one!

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm confused.....

The film opens with the four note horn theme- as on track one. Why is this called " alternate film theme".?

Because it was provided to the directors as an alternative to the version on track 2.....

16 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm confused.....

It's not.  It's called "Alternate Film Version".  It was written second, replacing what was written originally (the first minute of track 2)

16 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The first track is the film opening.

I know, I never said it wasn't.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was written second, replacing what was written originally (the first minute of track 2)

Third, if we count the unreleased demo version using the Winds of Change theme.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to both discs and read the liner notes.

You guys at Varese did a SUPERB job.

Thanks!😊

On 11/12/2020 at 2:55 PM, Spider-Fal said:

Drop the case 50 times at height of either 4 feet or from the roof to the ground.

I replaced it with a more accessible jewel case, along with the custom cover posted previously.

A truly bespoke ' deluxe edition".😊

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Impressive! Hope it's been profitable for both Varese and Powell!

Definitely shows there's a market to get 2 & 3 expanded soon. Fingers crossed Varese were able to license the whole trilogy so Powell could complete the set.

Saw this on Facebook, looks like it will happen :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/johnpowellmusic/posts/2760977620792189

grafik.png