Amistad - Chance of remastered, expanded and definitive release?

JohnnyD

Not sure what there is to debate?

Yes, it will happen in the next few years. There's only 6 Spielberg/Williams scores left for the labels (including Sugarland) and they usually knock out 1-2 per year.

On the score and its merits, there's discussion happening in that other thread. But I hope this can be released soon, lots of unreleased music. 

Within the next few years, that is without question. The likelihood of it being released by the end of the year is what is open to discussion.

Nobody here knows the internal plans of the specialty labels and their producers so I don't know what you want or expect people to say

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My appreciation for this score has grown and grown over the years.  I've listened to the OST a lot this year.  There have been days where I listened to it on repeat!

I might just listen to it now!

Well, the discussion really should be on whether or not one thinks the score will get the remastered and expanded treatment by the end of the year, as well as a discussion on the score, specially the unreleased cues and sections of music not on the OST.

Often times I’ve listened to the OST on repeat; I’ve also re-watched the film just to listen to the score.

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Well, the discussion really should be on whether or not one thinks the score will get the remastered and expanded treatment by the end of the year, as well as a discussion on the score, specially the unreleased cues and sections of music not on the OST.

This will be great to have one day!

In my personal opinion every score Williams ever wrote deserves to be sold commercially in a nice package overseen by a producer whose heart is invested in making a good product. 

Do I want this done for Amistad? Yes please!

Do I like the score to Amistad? Yes, very much!

Is a new album of it going to come this year, or some other year? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This will be great to have one day!

Well, I’m sold!

I’d never heard this cue before, and that’s as good as any highlight of the OST as far as I’m concerned.

Chances are good we’ll have at least one JW release for Black Friday, we’ve had at least one JW BF release since 2015.  

Since we just got WOTW not sure if that lessens the chance of getting Amistad this year but who knows?  In 2017 we got E.T. In Oct and CE3K on BF so it’s happened before with SS/JW releases.

13 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Since we just got WOTW not sure if that lessens the chance of getting Amistad this year but who knows?  In 2017 we got E.T. In Oct and CE3K on BF so it’s happened before with SS/JW releases.

2019 was the first year since 2014 with only one Spielberg/Williams score expansion, so chances are high we'll get another one for BF (or at the very least, another non-Spielberg JW score).

LLL had 5 JW score expansions each year since 2017, but only 1 so far in 2020. Granted, the pandemic has slowed things down but I'm staying optimistic for BF.

I am not expecting anything exciting.

However with how things have started to take shape with things that I would want to purchase like WOTW, HTTYD, Solo....

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

2019 was the first year since 2014 with only one Spielberg/Williams score expansion, so chances are high we'll get another one for BF (or at the very least, another non-Spielberg JW score).

I don’t think there’s an actual logic to be followed here.  But I’ll happily endorse any baseless speculation that predicts more Williams.

11 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Often times I’ve listened to the OST on repeat; I’ve also re-watched the film just to listen to the score.

Well, in that case I don't think we'll see it expanded this year. In 5 or so, yes, definitely. But, obviously, I'm just speculating.

The album is one of my Williams' favourites, it's been a lot since I saw the movie so I'm not familiar on how good is the unreleased material but, as the commercial CD, I'm quite happy about it.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Nobody here knows the internal plans of the specialty labels and their producers so I don't know what you want or expect the us to say

Nobody?  Jay, you must have been shocked last week to learn of the impending War of the Worlds release!

Amistad is a wonderful score - I'm sure it will be expanded one day, and I will be among the first in line to order.

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So I wonder what Jim Titus would do with the artwork on this one? I'm not a big fan of the OST cover personally.

Yes I'd love to see him do something original for this like he did for ET.  None of the official promotional art for Amistad that I've seen is especially attractive.  There's the familiar art used for the OST cover and there's the ugly version with the typical abstract floating heads of the actors.

I did see this in my googling, but I don't really think it would work as a soundtrack cover

(JamieR)__Amistad(1).jpg

Nothing will ever be as bad as that Seven Years in Tibet cover.

d4aebc49e6a9ec5cb8f2a98ad87ae085.1000x10

I would love an E.T. scenario for an Amistad expansion; none of the key artwork for the film lends itself to an album cover (as the OST proves) and the subject matter of the film could be explored with some impactful graphic design. I'm sure Jim would do an amazing job.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:01 PM, crumbs said:

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Those two cues are just the tip of the iceberg!

20 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Those two cues are just the tip of the iceberg!

Yes they are both beautiful cues!  An expanded 2-disc set would be a huge improvement over the OST in terms of new material.

9 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Yes they are both beautiful cues!  An expanded 2-disc set would be a huge improvement over the OST in terms of new material.

Well, the OST doesn't have any new material, does it? ;)

• 4 months later...

It's not inexplicable.  The John Williams forum didn't exist until I created it (2013ish I think?) so any thread older than that is still in GD, unless I've come across it and moved it

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not inexplicable.  The John Williams forum didn't exist until I created it (2013ish I think?) so any thread older than that is still in GD, unless I've come across it and moved it

Oh, thanks @Jay! I’d forgotten there was ever a time before it was split like this.

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

OX4940 Guitar Source #1 [comp. JW]

OX4941 Guitar Source #2 [comp. JW]

These guitar source cues are gorgeous!

I hope Mike can convince him to include these on an expansion someday, seeing as JW prefers to omit these things :(

Considering the score will need two discs, there'll be plenty of room to include them. And unlike the A.I. source, Williams composed these himself. The style of music fits right alongside the score (like Azkaban's source cues, and unlike the source for A.I. & Superman), so hopefully he allows these...

UPDATE: Here's the JW composed drum source.

A little repetitive, but don't see any reason this wouldn't fit alongside the score. Fingers crossed we get these clean someday...

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, crumbs said:

2-CD set minimum, yeah. There's over 40 minutes of unreleased material in the film itself, plus source music and unknown alternates.

PLEASE LET THIS COME TO PASS!!

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

h0JoWGO.jpg

gzUlD1t.png

Please make it happen, LLL...

I'm all over the idea of getting an expanded Amistad from LLL and I'm sure it'll happen sooner than later, but...

Gotta be honest, this cover art reminded me of Saw more than anything else. :D

On 9/6/2021 at 3:38 PM, crumbs said:

2-CD set minimum, yeah. There's over 40 minutes of unreleased material in the film itself, plus source music and unknown alternates.

Unless they decide to do a Schindler's List style expansion...

I do love that guitar source music early in the score. I'd love to hear that clean on a future expansion.

So rarely do we hear JW's writing for guitar.

(awaits obvious John Williams the guitarist jokes)