Amistad - Chance of remastered, expanded and definitive release?

JohnnyD

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Realisticly, what we could get at any time is one of 15 scores:

• SpaceCamp
  • The Accidental Tourist
  • Born on the Fourth of July
  • Presumed Innocent
  • JFK
  • Sabrina
  • Nixon
  • Sleepers
  • Seven Years in Tibet
  • Amistad
  • Stepmom
  • Angela's Ashes
  • The Patriot
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal

That is everything excluding Disney stuff, post-2005 stuff and scores with license or source issues.

What about 60s and 70s stuff?

Yavar

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Looks like the film has been remastered in 4K.

https://drafthouse.com/show/free-victory-screening-amistad-4k-restoration

Possible anniversary release next year? 

Would not doubt it, since the same happened with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., and War of the Worlds.

Expect the 4K Blu-Ray to come out soon; I’ll get that without question.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Would not doubt it, since the same happened with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., and War of the Worlds.

Strange set of three films to list for those examples - You skipped past 2018's celebrations of Schindler's List's 25th and Saving Private Ryan's 20th, which both had 4K BD releases & expanded score albums released

Of course, 2018 was the 10th anniversary of IJKOCS

2019 was the 45th of Sugarland Express, 40th of Temple of Doom, 35th of Always and Last Crusade, 15th of The Terminal,

and 2020 was the 15th of Munich,

and those were not celebrated with 4k restorations of expanded score albums in those years, so you know, there's no patterns anyway

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Strange set of three films to list for those examples - You skipped past 2018's celebrations of Schindler's List's 25th and Saving Private Ryan's 20th, which both had 4K BD releases & expanded score albums released

2019 was the 45th of Sugarland Express, 40th of Temple of Doom, 35th of Always and Last Crusade, 15th of The Terminal,

and those were not celebrated with 4k restorations of expanded score albums in those years, so you know, there's no patterns anyway

Yes, but Amistad is getting a 4k restoration.  

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Strange set of three films to list for those examples - You skipped past 2018's celebrations of Schindler's List's 25th and Saving Private Ryan's 20th, which both had 4K BD releases & expanded score albums released.

I was actually going to mention those, but you beat me to it. Absolutely.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There is a pattern, though. In 2017, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T. had their 40th and 35th anniversary, respectively; both were restored in 4K AND had remastered and expanded soundtrack releases. In 2018, Saving Private Ryan and Schindler’s List had their 20th and 25th anniversary, respectively; both were restored in 4K AND had remastered and expanded soundtrack releases. In 2020, War of the Worlds had its 15th anniversary; the film was restored in 4K AND had a remastered and expanded soundtrack release. So, considering that Amistad is getting a 4K restoration AND next year marks the film’s 25th anniversary…

I think Hook is the only other omission (films released in 4K but not yet expanded), with seemingly no expansion coming in the short-term. 

I guess Indy expansions have an excuse, if they're waiting until after Indy 5 (shitttt just realised we'll be waiting even longer now). 

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I think Hook is the only other omission (films released in 4K but not yet expanded), with seemingly no expansion coming in the short-term. 

Key difference with Indy and Hook is the companies involved: Disney/Lucasfilm and Sony.  Amistad being Dreamworks is now owned by Paramount (like WOTW), and Dreamworks Records catalog is now owned by Universal Music Group, two companies that have been more amenable to working with the labels I’d say. I think there’s more than a good chance!

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think there’s more than a good chance!

To put it mildly ;)

Will be very happy to pick this up once it's expanded. Say it all the time but the next anniversary is the perfect chance to revisit this score. And as you identified, no immediate issues with the studios or filmmakers involved, so it's the opportune time to get it licenced. 

I just hope Mike can get some of that source music included. The guitar source is gorgeous, and we so rarely hear JW write for that instrument. 

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Not really, since 2018 was when Hook was restored in 4K; the film did not have its anniversary that year.

16 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

In 2017, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T. had their 40th and 35th anniversary, respectively; both were restored in 4K AND had remastered and expanded soundtrack releases. In 2018, Saving Private Ryan and Schindler’s List had their 20th and 25th anniversary, respectively; both were restored in 4K AND had remastered and expanded soundtrack releases. In 2020, War of the Worlds had its 15th anniversary; the film was restored in 4K AND had a remastered and expanded soundtrack release. So, considering that Amistad is getting a 4K restoration AND next year marks the film’s 25th anniversary…

Hence, Hook is not part of the pattern.

• 1 year later...