SPOTLIGHT ON JOHN WILLIAMS: A Prospero Classical CD release featuring new recordings of JW film music

SyncMan

No idea, but if Williams has the option to 'boycott it', it can't be, can it? I know his boycott is in relation to the original soundtrack recording - which, according to Matessino - has been found and restored. I'm not sure if he has any clout over a re-recording, were one possible.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think in about 15 to 20 years the 60s stuff will become public domain and you can do what you like.

I think for movie scores things might be a lot more complicated, because it's considered work for hire. The 70 years rule is not something set in stone for everything and also the legislation changes from country to country, as lot of copyright work can be renewed by heirs.

Here's what the US office of copyright says:

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

3 hours ago, Thor said:

which, according to Matessino - has been found and restored.

Found, yes, restored, no.  You only restore something if you're getting paid to do so because a commercial album has been licensed.

You might have meant found and transferred, which is the case; we don't have to worry about the elements deteriorating because a perfect high res digital transfer of them now exists.  However the next step of cleaning up the audio and figuring out the right take(s) to use to recreate the performance edits would not happen unless an album gets licensed.

Just now, mstrox said:

It's my understanding that the Williams veto on Story of a Woman and Sugarland Express is based on respect for the composer, and not necessarily based on legaility.  May be wrong.

You're exactly correct.

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It's my understanding that the Williams veto on Story of a Woman and Sugarland Express is based on respect for the composer, and not necessarily based on legaility.  May be wrong.

Damn them labels and their respect!

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

How does this performance/recording compare to Lockhart's?

Favourably thus far.

It has moments of sheer brilliance in terms of tempi and timings. Many spotty or strange moments compared to a Williams-led studio recording too, but overall it certainly has its own identity and charm.

The sound is very lean, nearly sample-like sometimes. I guess some mixing choices are responsible for that. Brass is clearly not on the level of LSO, LA, or Vienna (is any section?) but again, the direction is very graceful, which animates the music despite all shortcomings.

I'm listening to the TFA suite right now. I didn't realize it was from this. 

It's really good so far. Doesn't drag, but its still a different enough performance from others to be interesting to listen to.

Thumbs up so far. Looking forward to the rest. 

15 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Reinhold Friedrich belting out that title theme in the beginning of Scherzo. Amazing.

What does this mean?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

What does this mean?

Stand out performance of the Star Wars main theme part at the beginning of Scherzo for X-Wing on trumpet.

Also, the Follow Me section of the end credits is on fire! It's even more exciting than the original recording! 

Man, Jedi Steps and Finale is so damn good. I never want to see those movies again, but hearing this track performed in any way brings me back to the good old days. It'll always be special to me. 

Oh, I understand now the Luke's theme part later in the track.  I thought you were saying there was vocals before the music begins at the very start of the track

[Friedrich is the one playing first trumpet in all of the Abbado/Lucerne Festival Mahler symphonies recordings, amongst many other amazing career milestones]

isn't there a freaking track list for this?

can we hope for unrecorded concert versions like Irina's theme or a new recording of The Rise of Skywalker or Han Solo and the Princess or it's gonna be the exact same boring track list as the other compilations (JP,Superman, Star Wars Main title, The Flying theme...)

K.M. Who never heard of Reinhold Friedrich

Just now, Jay said:

They haven't announced the track list yet, no

Star Wars, E.T., Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, ZZZzzz...

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno, those Force Awakens performances posted above are nothing to Zzzz at.  Have you listened to them?

Praguelish performances!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

You really think so?

The sound is good, but the conducting is too mannered in some passages, it lacks energy in others. I'm not sure.

It's with interpretations like this that we realize John Williams's music is very complex and full of nuances.

It must be a raw, young orchestra which can play everything (or anything).

EDIT: The sequence between Jedi Steps and the Finale is catastrophic. It makes we want to listen to the brilliant Lockhart version of this suite instead.

50 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Just as long as the performances aren't embarrassingly amateurish like that Film Symphony Orchestra thing people went gaga for.

But they have a lot of fun playing eveyrthing and the tempos are great.

No, it's nothing new but I enjoy a slightly different type of a performance and recording. This sounds different than any other version. You can hear new details in orchestration that were not as apparent elsewhere.

Karol

On 2/7/2021 at 2:37 AM, Drew said:

Enough TFA recordings. I wanna see more covers of TLJ and especially TROS. Poor TROS hasn't even gotten Prague treatment because of COVID I think.

I'll take that one further -- enough STAR WARS already!

57 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'll take that one further -- enough STAR WARS already!

You prefer Star Trek, eh?

On 2/7/2021 at 2:37 AM, Drew said:

Poor TROS hasn't even gotten Prague treatment

That's actually a good thing. :lol:

On 2/5/2021 at 8:49 PM, carlborg said:

I've finally listened to the TFA suite, and now I'm really looking forward to this release! I especially like the good tempos and raw brass sound. Not to mention the great timing and lack of flubs. ;)

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

No, it's nothing new but I enjoy a slightly different type of a performance and recording. This sounds different than any other version. You can hear new details in orchestration that were not as apparent elsewhere.

Karol

If all the rest of the tracks are as revealing in terms of orchestration and other subtle nuances as these first 4 tracks, I think we are in for a very nice treat.