SPOTLIGHT ON JOHN WILLIAMS: A Prospero Classical CD release featuring new recordings of JW film music

SyncMan

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And I'm not a big listener of Tintin. If I need to hear the opening titles, I'll just listen to the OST.

Well, maybe hearing a different interpretation will make you appreciate it more.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, maybe hearing a different interpretation will make you appreciate it more.

Meh. It's an alright piece but JW himself did this same mode of writing better with the opening titles of CMIYC.

If that opening from Last Crusade 'Young Indys First Adventure'  had been added in the program then it would have been a big welcome sigh from me.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I don't think so. It looks like the first disk contains the full orchestra pieces and the second disk has rather the special pieces with the soloists and with chamber ensembles like opening credits of Tintin and Nimbus 2000 (if this is the arrangement from the suite). I guess that's it.

Maybe... although still seems a bit weird to have such unbalanced disc lengths, and to miss off CE3K, ET and Jaws entirely, when it's clearly a mainstream JW album and those are still quite big hitters in his catalogue. Guess we'll find out soon/eventually!

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And to make matters even worse, it looks like this label uses digipak instead of jewel case for their albums... be prepared to receive damaged goods, at least if ordering from Amazon!

Pretty sure we've had this discussion already but I never experienced any damage on digipacks when ordering from Amazon.

And also, digipacks are way prettier than standard jewel cases in my opinion! :angryfire:

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

And also, digipacks are way prettier than standard jewel cases in my opinion! :angryfire:

That's up to the eyes of the beholder. The major advantage of jewel cases is that they can be replaced if damaged.

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Pretty sure we've had this discussion already but I never experienced any damage on digipacks when ordering from Amazon.

I guess you order from amazon.fr. The problem is the beating the packages get in international shipping.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

The major advantage of jewel cases is that they can be replaced if damaged.

You can ask for a replacement copy if ordering from Amazon ;) Jewel case or digipack.

hmm, boring track list as expected

Not even one takeaway track of something never or rarely recorded, no RoS and TLJ tracks...

and they picked the one concert arrangement from PoA I didn't want

Well at least we get a non-Prague version of "Witches, Wands and Wizards", as inconsequential of a piece as it is.

"End Credits" from Temple of Doom already has a Prague version too, in case anybody didn't know: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX1JDGB

and there's the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra version also: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017I4ZCGW/

"Nimbus 2000" has a Prague version of course, not sure of any others.  Of course we eventually got the original recording via LLL

"Opening Credits" from Tintin is the first re-recording I've heard of.  I wonder how different it will end up being from the original recording

Oh and here's a normal Amazon link that doesn't change the site over to spanish

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YP7GKCK

1 hour ago, Jay said:

"Opening Credits" from Tintin is the first re-recording I've heard of.  I wonder how different it will end up being from the original recording

On the Prague 6 disk definitive collection is a recording of the Tintin opening credits.

And on the Sony 4 CD box "John Williams: The great Movie Soundtracks" is a version on the second disk.

Ah, figures!

So not a single track on this collection hasn't been recorded before, then; The entire reason to buy it is to hear this orchestra's renditions of these particular selections

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

So not a single track on this collection hasn't been recorded before, then; The entire reason to buy it is to hear this orchestra's renditions of these particular selections

But on the other hand, once this is released, that's also the only reason to buy any of the other recordings of this stuff. The question is: Which recordings are better, or fit your/my/anyone's personal preferences better.

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But on the other hand, once this is released, that's also the only reason to buy any of the other recordings of this stuff. The question is: Which recordings are better, or fit your/my/anyone's personal preferences better.

Based on the TFA cues they posted that I listened to I think I'll like these renditions better than Prague's

I have none of the Prague recordings. I'm a big fan of what they've done for Tadlow, but I found all the Williams bits I've heard by them rather lacking. In any case, based on what I've read in this thread, I'm looking forward to this, even if it's mainly for The Cowboys. The only recording I know (of) is Williams' own with the Pops, although I expect there may be a few others (and at least one of those is probably a Prague recording).

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I found all the Williams bits I've heard by them rather lacking.

Agreed. Or, not entirely. They do have some good tracks now and then, but it's hard to find a compilation of only good ones.

I guess the target consumers are people who are already familiar with Williams, but not overly familiar, and that's why it omits everything from the original Star Wars Trilogy, ET, CE3K, Schindler's List and Jaws.

3 hours ago, cuartosur said:

Dear Mr....

Many thanks for your message and your interest in our release. 
Yes, the track list is correct.

Best regards
Basil

Haha, there goes my theory then... still think it's a bit odd on what they missed out and that disc two is shorter than disc one!

10 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Haha, there goes my theory then... still think it's a bit odd on what they missed out and that disc two is shorter than disc one!

Parhaps it was Basil Fawlty?

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Based on the TFA cues they posted that I listened to I think I'll like these renditions better than Prague's

Well, yes, but that could be said about ANY re-recording, or at least those that contain more than a string section.

On 3/15/2021 at 11:18 AM, crumbs said:

I can live without the 4th re-recording of bloody Viktor's Tale.

I don't mind another rerecording of such a great piece. One of JW's best since the turn of the millennium.

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't mind another rerecording of such a great piece. One of JW's best since the turn of the millennium.

Yes, the only problem with that is, probably because this piece is so good, no other pieces of this great score get selected for re-recording.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, the only problem with that is, probably because this piece is so good, no other pieces of this great score get selected for re-recording.

Yeah, The Terminal is a great score, and I'd very much welcome a recording of a suite from it.

43 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That love theme is gorgeous and tragically underappreciated. I doubt JW published a suite for it and that's a shame; there's amazing music in that score beyond Viktor's Tale.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. JW has such a vast library of incredible music that never gets recognised in compilations like this. I have no issue with new interpretations of the same pieces, but it seems like a disservice to his legacy if only 10% of his works are ever represented in re-recordings.

42 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's nothing inherently wrong with preferring this over that etc. But pathological whiners prefer to focus their attention on what's missing, or the umpteenth occasion to lament  certain pieces not being recorded etc. As I tried to explain, the complications of doing a recording of orchestral music are a lot, publishing-wise and money-wise, it's not like going to the restaurant and order a la carte menu.

Many people here find more preferable to vocally manifest their complaints and disagreements rather than find the joy of listening to the music, and I find this very sad and useless.

But it's probably me, like the Lethal Weapon 3 song goes. So goodbye and godspeed.

Since I experienced your podcasts always as very inspiring and convincing probably with your upcoming episode on this recording you might even convince the pathological whiners and we will all end up ordering it and bow our heads in shame for our negativity. (exaggerated but not ironic)

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't this the official concert arrangement?

The Film Symphony Orchestra albums are live recordings, so this new version of Theme from JFK should be better.

"End Credits" from Temple of Doom was also recorded by the RPO, on Filmharmonic II. That's the version that appears on the second link Jay gave us; here are the original volumes collected: https://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-Gala-Celebration-Philharmonic/dp/B01M3XU2AL/

Even though I don't love the sound mix, I have yet to hear a recorded performance of March of the Resistance that has the oomph or unity of the original soundtrack recording.

This new performance is totally fine and energetic but lacks the punch and punctuation of the original.

On 3/16/2021 at 1:14 PM, crumbs said:

And I apologise for the negative tone of my earlier posts.

It's worth celebrating any orchestra who performs JW's music, even moreso when their resources are devoted to a commercial release of his music. I hope my comments weren't construed as disrespectful to the work put into this release; I genuinely appreciate the complexities involved.

I hope this album is a commercial success for the orchestra, especially in these challenging times for orchestras worldwide. Hopefully we can look forward to even more recordings of the Maestro's music in the future, highlighting JW's rich (and very deep!) catalog of works.

Thanks, crumbs. I apologize for the words I used. I know very well that the great majority of the people on this board are very passionate about JW music and they understand how much of a challenge is to produce recordings such as this, so any feeling of disappointment that might occur is mostly because they'd love to see more of the Maestro's music appreciated and celebrated. I am sure many of us will enjoy a lot this new release and let's hope is a good sign of more things to come in the future.

Cheers everyone :beerchug: