SPOTLIGHT ON JOHN WILLIAMS: A Prospero Classical CD release featuring new recordings of JW film music

SyncMan

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I tried there, but they only ship to a few countries. But JPC has it for €24.99!

Yeah, they currently have a -10%-offer and are reliable.

I got the JW Vienna package even before the official release date...

Oh dip I didn't know they had a way to purchase directly from them or I would have done so.  Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy on wednesday from jpc.de  I enjoy it a lot. The different mixes highlights different instrument sections compared to the Williams recordings. Especially "Escapades"from CMIYC is fantastic. The vibraphone is so nicely prominent in the mix. Incredible performance. "JFK" and "Born on the 4th of July" are great too, but I think nothing beats Tim Morrisons trumpet playing on the originals. Reinhold Friedrich's phrasing is a bit too harsh at times (but great playing overall).

20210507_200252.jpg

I like the entire album as well. What do you think about the dynamics? I read some comments here about it being too compressed at the loudest parts of the pieces, but that never entered mind the few times I've listened to it.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I like the entire album as well. What do you think about the dynamics? I read some comments here about it being too compressed at the loudest parts of the pieces, but that never entered mind the few times I've listened to it.

Sometimes the trumpets sound a bit compressed, or it is just my imagination. Overall I'd say the dynamics are pretty good.

Another thing I liked a lot was the accordion in "The Terminal". Was it also featured on the recording that appears on "Spielberg Collection Vol. 3" ?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't the accordion also on the OST recording?

I've not listened to the OST in a long time, mostly listened to the concert arrangement on "Vol III". A fun piece.

What do you think about the tempi of certain pieces on the album?

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Another thing I liked a lot was the accordion in "The Terminal". Was it also featured on the recording that appears on "Spielberg Collection Vol. 3" ?

I don’t think the accordion is part of Spielberg vol. 3, but it is definitely featured on the recording on Lockhart’s “Lights, Camera, Music!”

On 4/28/2021 at 11:32 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I tried there, but they only ship to a few countries. But JPC has it for €24.99!

And free shipping until Sunday to Germany, Austria, Belgium, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Switzerland.

I was sent a physical copy today, no. 2159. Wow, I'm impressed by the lavish "book"-style cover (like those old STAR WARS RCA 2CD sets that I used to own), the glossy paper and general presentation. Congrats to Basil and the Swiss team for putting this together!

For any other UK buyers, they now have the CD for pre-order at presto classical. It's more or less the same as the Amazon price, but you're guaranteed to have it arrive in good condition with no bashed in corners :)

Amazon pushed back the estimated delivery date on this release for a second time (to June 4), so I canceled my pre-order and bought a copy from jpc.de instead. Tired of waiting!

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed my pre-order on Amazon today since it'll ship in two days time and I've got gift cards that I won from work burning a hole in my pocket :)

I got a weird email from Amazon I'd never gotten before, basically I had to click through and accept that there is a wait for this item.

This is what the email said

Shipment Delay

Hello,

We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. We’ll make every effort to get the delayed item to you as soon as possible. If you still want this item, please confirm below. We apologize for the delay.

Details

Order #XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX

Placed on Thursday, April 22, 2021

New estimated delivery date:
We will email you as soon as we have a delivery date.

I still want this item
Cancel Order

If we don’t hear from you by Sunday, July 4, 2021, we will cancel the item. Otherwise, we will send it to you when we have a delivery date and it’s ready to ship.

Spotlight on John Wi... Spotlight on John Williams

Sold by Amazon.com Services LLC

If your shipment arrives too late, you may refuse delivery or return it for a refund.

We hope to see you again soon.
Amazon.com

This email was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Will they do the album opening, film opening, or concert opening for TLW track?

So far the arrangements from the following scores have been announced:

Miklós Rózsa - El Cid

John Williams - The Lost World

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of the Azkaban

John Williams - Seven Years in Tibet

Alan Silvestri - Back to the Future trilogy

James Horner - The Mask of Zorro

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One

Jerry Goldsmith - unnamed score

+ an unnamed score from the 1930s

My money is on Gone With the Wind, Robin Hood, or another Korngold score for the '30s entry.

@ATXHusker @Jay, might I recommend you do what I did--which was to cancel my Amazon order after I got fed up with the delayed release date and purchase it instead at www.jpc.de. It's actually selling at a 10% discount right now (24.99 Euros) and shipping is a ridiculously low 3.50 Euros. You'll pay less than what Amazon would have charged even after conversion.

I'd never bought from jpc before this, but I'd absolutely buy from them again. They give you tracking info and the parcel packing was first-rate. I don't read or speak German but Google Translate on Safari is a lifesaver.

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

@ATXHusker @Jay, might I recommend you do what I did--which was to cancel my Amazon order after I got fed up with the delayed release date and purchase it instead at www.jpc.de. It's actually selling at a 10% discount right now (24.99 Euros) and shipping is a ridiculously low 3.50 Euros. You'll pay less than what Amazon would have charged even after conversion.

I'd never bought from jpc before this, but I'd absolutely buy from them again. They give you tracking info and the parcel packing was first-rate. I don't read or speak German but Google Translate on Safari is a lifesaver.

Jpc is my first choice for Bluerays and CDs. It's a small company from Germany and helps you avoiding Amazon. Prices are sometimes a bit higher but at least they pay their taxes.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Wondering if I should cancel and re-order from Amazon?  @Jay did yours ship out yet?

image.png

No, don’t do that! What did I tell you to do last week?? Cancel that shit and order it from www.jpc.de. Mine shipped out two or three days after I placed the order with them, with tracking info. (DHL to the US, then USPS, full tracking the whole way.) Excellent packaging and great email communication from start to finish. You’ll pay less than what Amazon would charge, or at least very close to it (depending on state tax), because they charge next to nothing to ship. 

And you want this release. It’s beautiful and well made. The recordings are top shelf. And it’s got that European style of penmanship on the back, where the unit number goes. The way they use two lines to draw a “1” or swerve the horizontal part of a “2,” that kind of thing. It just classes up the whole thing in a way most people couldn’t care less about—but which is exactly why you should care.

I’m guessing Amazon will eventually get some copies, but the agony of waiting is just going to get worse. 

On 6/9/2021 at 5:17 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

That little section from 32 seconds... Is that in Williams' Signature Edition score? I know that the Sig. Edition is slightly different from the OST, and I heard him perform a version in London in 1998 with a different intro and ending, but that bit from 32 seconds is I think something I've not head before. Unless my memory from a few seconds of music heard 23 years ago is failing me.

18 hours ago, pete said:

That little section from 32 seconds... Is that in Williams' Signature Edition score?

That sounded unfamiliar to me, too.  And I guess we still don't have an answer about the opening...

Interesting, that's new to me too!

Maybe he slyly updated the signature edition at some point and this will be the first recording of that new ending?