SPOTLIGHT ON JOHN WILLIAMS: A Prospero Classical CD release featuring new recordings of JW film music

SyncMan

It's an acapella song, there is no orchestra, it's just singers.  So what do you mean by a "with choir" version?

The list was taken from a thread about dream concerts. As such, I would have wanted it performed with a full choir, nothing smaller. Same with "Two Lovers"; full choir needed, not just a small group of singers.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Also an album featuring just a jazz ensemble rather than an orchestra, performing many of his early jazz compositions for film, tv and beyond.

An album of a jazz ensemble just performing source music, that Williams composed for his movies, that would be actually quite obscure.

On 07/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, bollemanneke said:

Okay, I'm finally going to listen to this soon. What's the consensus on it here?

As far as I recall: Decent performances, good selection. Not as interesting as the Vienna (or Berlin) concert, because in comparison, the performances/interpretations are a bit "flat". Much preferable to the unstable Dudamel album though. Primary annoyment factor: The sound often seems off in a rather artificial way. Overall I liked it, but only listened to it a few times and had almost completely forgotten about it by now. It's nice to have a new recording of the Cowboys Overture, but ultimately, I don't think there was anything on this that I wouldn't rather put on in another version if I can choose freely.

Listening now. If I could make one remark, I sometimes feel like I'm a little too close to the orchestra, particularly the percussion, but I'm LOVING Fawkes the Phoenix. The violins!

And they finally sold the Azkaban suite to me!

Today they released the "Back to the Future Suite" from their new album "The Sound of Adventure" (coming in 2022). AFAIK they recorded Williams "Seven Years in Tibet" Suite and "Buckbeak's Flight" for this.

Hmm. Not a fan of how a lot of it is played or mixed or assembled at all. The JW album set a real high standard for this orchestra and they're failing to live up to it already.

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hmm. Not a fan of how a lot of it is played or mixed or assembled at all. The JW album set a real high standard for this orchestra and they're failing to live up to it already.

It's actually hard for me to believe that the brass section that so whiffs the BTTF3 western theme there is the same brass section that knocked the Parade of the Slave Children out of the park

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Disc 2 might be even better than disc 1!  Even though it's only 35 minutes instead of 65, choosing to combine all the solo-centric selections together onto one disc turned out to be a really smart idea.  It gives the second disc a bit more of an intimate and eclectic feel. And all the selections are really good!

Overall, this is one hell of a cool release!

• 4 weeks later...

I know I've said negative things about the performances of this orchestra...

But then, the CD popped out to me, when I was consulting the website of https://www.highresaudio.com.

So I purchased it.

I'm listening to it currently (yes, I'm still in honeymoon with my new headphones!).