Who's your favourite film composer that you consider second-tier?

Jurassic Shark

Probably someone like Basil Poledouris, only in the sense I wouldn't place him in the top echelon next to composers like Williams, Goldsmith, Hermann, Waxman, etc.

I would consider him to be second tier, instead of second rate, which to my ear has a more negative connotation

On 10/11/2020 at 3:54 PM, Romão said:

Probably someone like Basil Poledouris, only in the sense I wouldn't place him in the top echelon next to composers like Williams, Goldsmith, Hermann, Waxman, etc.

That's a choice I could have landed on myself. For the sake of diversity, I think I'll say Don Davis. 

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this. My top list, i.e. everyone on my top list after Williams? Composers from, let's say, my 25th place and beyond??

It's a tough call. I would have to list all the composers in my iTunes collection, and then rank them according to how many scores I own, and a general assessment. And then I would need to put up a random line that delineates 'Premier League' from 'Championship' somewhere. I'm not sure I'm able, but I'll think about it.

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I might not be up to date since these might already be counted as top league composers.

It's your opinion that matters in this thread, not the general consensus. :)

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But would name here for sure Dario Marianelli

I feel similar about him.

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's a tough call. I would have to list all the composers in my iTunes collection, and then rank them according to how many scores I own, and a general assessment. And then I would need to put up a random line that delineates 'Premier League' from 'Championship' somewhere. I'm not sure I'm able, but I'll think about it.

Jeez, no need to do a thesis on it. ;) Just give us your gut feeling. John Debney, perhaps?

I've been really digging Daniel Pemberton's work recently. I don't consider him top tier, but I have really enjoyed some of his recent works.

I also like Rob Simonsen, he does a lot of more feel-good, chill scores and they're great to listen to on road trips and just in general.

Actually, Bruce, I love lists these days.

But I have problems here, because my brain collapses without specific parameters. I would first need to define what is 'top tier' and what is 'second tier'.

You won't find John Debney in my top 10, but probably top 50 due to a handful of great pastiche scores. But my top 50 are most likely all great composers, and I would feel uncomfortable naming any of them 'second tier'.

So this is a bit of a rabbit hole of a topic for me.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd say exactly that makes him second tier.

Fourth tier.

It has 5 be subjective I.e. who do YOU consider SECOND tier.

And, how does the industry rate them.

For example, Silvestri and Elfman might be considered second tier by some fans, but certainly NOT by the industry.

This question makes zero sensem

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Its like saying , who is your favorite soccer team that you don't root for.

I refuse to participate in this nonsense.

Beethoven is my favorite classical composer who I don't have any recordings of their work.

Are you saying you're only able to appreciate the best, and not the second best?

Here, Richard has already dumbed down the question for you. ;)

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To use a soccer metaphor: those composers that you would consider League One, as opposed to the Premier League.

Of course, it's all subjective.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I refuse to participate in this

If only.

Zimmer, Giacchino Shore, pretty much everyone working are all 2nd or 3rd terr composers. Like A blind pig they all have moments of clarity.

50 minutes ago, Bespin said:

What is a second-tier composer? Is it like a second-tier JWFan, by example, like @Naïve Old Fart?

Shark has slipped down to THIRD tier after this idiotic topic!😝

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

That one doesn't exist.

Does Thor know that!😳

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I must confess before all the additional explanations my first Interpretation of the question was "Who is your second favourite composer after John Williams?" Because he might be for fans like us a league of his own, tier 1. Everything else tier 2.

How about Joel McNeely? He’s never scored a super big hit movie or had many (any?) awards but his writing is tuneful and enjoyable. Yes a lot of his earlier work is perilously close to others but he uses what he borrows to great advantage and is rarely less than listenable. 

Let's see.

Abel Korzeniowski did my favorite TV score ever, for Penny Dreadful, and some great works in film.

Dario Marianelli surely deserved that Oscar, his score for Atonement is very touching. And I really like V for Vendetta and some other works from him.

I also like some stuff from Carter Burwell, Clint Mansell, Don Davis, Ed Shearmur, Christopher Young, Fernando Velazquez, Johan Söderqvist, Mychael Danna, Roque Baños, Patrick Doyle...