First use of "Ludlow's Demise"-like motifs

You know that action motif from "Ludlow's Demise", the one whose close relatives crop up in various other Williams scores? Minor key...fast tempo...usually triplet-based...has a characteristic melodic arc starting on the tonic, working its way up to the fifth or octave with an immediate jump back down to the tonic? I've always assumed TLW was the first time this idea showed up in Williams' work, but I'm realizing I could easily be wrong.

These are the scores I can think of at the moment that use this motif:

The Lost World

the first two Potter films

Minority Report

The Last Jedi

Am I missing any? In particular, am I missing any before TLW, or do we think that was Williams' first time sharing that musical idea with audiences?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know that action motif from "Ludlow's Demise", the one whose close relatives crop up in various other Williams scores? Minor key...fast tempo...usually triplet-based...has a characteristic melodic

Good stuff! As the end of the video points out, some of these are rather more distant relatives, but it's interesting to hear them included as well.   I take it no one has any obscure but cl

Such an underratedly awesome track. Brutal.

Good stuff! As the end of the video points out, some of these are rather more distant relatives, but it's interesting to hear them included as well.

I take it no one has any obscure but clear pre-TLW antecedents to point out? I'm not aware of any, but it would be an interesting twist.

11 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I take it no one has any obscure but clear pre-TLW antecedents to point out? I'm not aware of any, but it would be an interesting twist.

I'm really curious about this too. Granted, there are plenty examples of sort of sawing string patterns in pre-TLW Williams, but nothing with quite with the specific Ludlow melodic profile. One of these days, someone'll have to pore over the string parts in action & tension cues in, say, JP1 or Empire of the Sun to see if there are any precedents...

This is one of my all-time favorite JW motifs. I remember back in mid-2015 listening to that section in "The Quidditch Match," and thinking about how all I ever wanted is a SW sequel score that features that. Then TLJ came along and my dream came true! :lovethis:

I haven't seen The Patriot in 20 years and haven't heard the score in a long time either.  I think I'll be rectifying both soon!

To answer Data's original question, I don't recall every hearing this riff before The Lost World personally

I think my favorite use of it after the original is in the Quidditch cues